Bluetooth Fails

Old 09-02-2016, 10:11 AM
2007 TL Type-S

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sockr1
anybody know the part number for an 08 type s? i tried acuraoemparts but can't find out for the life of me where the HFL part is located
It's listed under "Interior Lights".The part number is 39770-SEP-A62ZA for graphite black and 39770-SEP-A62ZB for Grey. I got mine from Bernardi back in April. They were the cheapest I found at the time, and got it to me in 2 days, but it never hurts to look around.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,574 Likes on 6,625 Posts
You actually use the HFL on a daily basis D? Mine hasn't been working in a while and I just sort of left it as is. It's still plugged in, not draining the battery, so I'm leaving well enough alone
Old 09-02-2016, 10:18 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by NTP66
It's listed under "Interior Lights".The part number is 39770-SEP-A62ZA for graphite black and 39770-SEP-A62ZB for Grey. I got mine from Bernardi back in April. They were the cheapest I found at the time, and got it to me in 2 days, but it never hurts to look around.
awesome thanks man!!
Old 09-03-2016, 04:13 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyham89
Has anyone heard of the devices failing after the repair by Joel?
i've had 2 repaired from him and on average, it lasted me about a year. great, but not permanent.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
You actually use the HFL on a daily basis D? Mine hasn't been working in a while and I just sort of left it as is. It's still plugged in, not draining the battery, so I'm leaving well enough alone
i don't use it that often but i hate having things in my car that don't work haha...navigation, HFL now, etc. i followed your advice though and will just leave it alone for now, people can wait til i get home to talk to them on the phone haha
Old 10-03-2016, 07:49 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mmclendon
Good news! I was able to repair my Acura Bluetooth module. As you may recall it suddenly quit pairing with any phone but passed the onboard diagnostics. It now works fine.

Since Acura, the dealership and the manufacturer of the Bluetooth module all declined to swap out my failed unit to perform a root cause failure analysis, I decided to have a look at this infamous module.

It is located in the roof console and takes just a few minutes to remove the bezel where the module is mounted. On the bench, the cover protecting the ciurcuit boards was removed with three torx fasteners and the processor board piggy-backed on the main board was unplugged and set aside on a static control mat. The processor board is not serviceable without specialized test equipment.

So looking at the main board, a switching power supply was obvious. The capacitors used in a switch power supply must have a low ESR (equivalent series resistance) to permit the supplly to start up and operate. Capacitors used in this function must be quality parts with a high temperature rating and appropriate safe voltage rating.

The large capacitor adjacent to the switching inductor exhibited a terrible ESR and for all practical purposes had an open circuit.

This is a surface mounted device and once removed I replaced it with a conventional thru-hole leaded capacitor. I chose a 25 volt 220 uF 105 degree C component. Just for S&Gs, I reassembled the console and the Bluetooth system in the car once again works as well as it did when purchased new.

Costs?

30 minutes to remove and replace the console
30 minutes on the bench to test and replace the bad capacitor
$2.15 for the capacitor

Observations:

The dealership's labor estimate of 30 minutes to an hour is fairly typical. The parts markup is by the dealer and or the manufactureer is where the greed comes in. This is NOT a $650.00 part.

Johnson Control's attitude is very defensive - I am sure that they would not compromise their lucrative contract with Acura to produce these modules. They have no real retail face to the consumer.

Acura's attitude is surprising to me in that they do not care that these modules are failing. That is just my reaction to what I once imagined was an exceptional car company.

Recommendation: If your Bluetooth module is not working and you are out of warranty / goodwill assistance getting it fixed by Acura, take it out and let an electronics technician have a look. You might just be able to repeat my experience.

Good luck!
Thanks for your research I am having the same problem. Any chance you could repost the replacement part numbers & photos?
Thanks chollyk
Old 10-13-2016, 09:30 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My HFL is going out it seems. Going to the dealer today to have an oil change done. Going to see what they want to fix it. Most likely will just buy the part online and do it myself. I have seen some of the sites that have it for $400 and some for like $237 but it says there is a 'core charge'? Anyone have to pay a core charge when purchasing the HFL module?
Old 10-14-2016, 12:23 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by ronricks
My HFL is going out it seems. Going to the dealer today to have an oil change done. Going to see what they want to fix it. Most likely will just buy the part online and do it myself. I have seen some of the sites that have it for $400 and some for like $237 but it says there is a 'core charge'? Anyone have to pay a core charge when purchasing the HFL module?
The core charge seems to be a new thing for the HFL. It looks like some sites havent updated to include the core charge but I think no matter where you buy it from the core charge will have to be paid.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:29 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by eastcoastguy
The core charge seems to be a new thing for the HFL. It looks like some sites havent updated to include the core charge but I think no matter where you buy it from the core charge will have to be paid.
Got a quote yesterday from the dealership for part and installation of $460 is which is a lot cheaper than most have posted. With the core charge seems like I might just let the dealership do it...........
Old 10-14-2016, 03:37 PM
Intermediate

So, I just pulled my #6, #7, and #10 fuses for about 10 sec and re-seated them now my HFL is working again. Wonder if this is temporary? I know some people have had fixes that worked for a bit then it stopped again. I hate to spend the money if it is going to work it is a crap shoot I guess.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:32 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ronricks
So, I just pulled my #6, #7, and #10 fuses for about 10 sec and re-seated them now my HFL is working again. Wonder if this is temporary? I know some people have had fixes that worked for a bit then it stopped again. I hate to spend the money if it is going to work it is a crap shoot I guess.
I had done the same on mine and it worked for a little while and then crapped out again, plan on replacing it if you want a permanent fix
Old 12-03-2016, 04:14 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
OK, I admit it I haven't read all 23 pages of this thread. One question: If I buy an new oem unit, is the swap a straight unplug the old one and plug in the new one? I know how to get it out, just want to make sure I can do it mself, without going to the dealer.

Thanks (mine lasted 10 years)

Dave
Old 12-03-2016, 05:52 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by dmarcus48
If I buy an new oem unit, is the swap a straight unplug the old one and plug in the new one?
Yes.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:24 PM
5th Gear

Hey guys, I have a 2007 TL TypeS. Does anyone know how I can disconnect the HFL but still have dome lights that work? When hands free is unplugged I lose my overhead lights and I really want them back!! But I don't want a drained battery either. Thanks!
Old 12-04-2016, 12:09 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by JraTypeS
Hey guys, I have a 2007 TL TypeS. Does anyone know how I can disconnect the HFL but still have dome lights that work? When hands free is unplugged I lose my overhead lights and I really want them back!! But I don't want a drained battery either. Thanks!
There are two plugs for the overhead light/sunroof switch but there is also another plug for the HFL that is only for the HFL. If your lights dont work I think you have the wrong thing unplugged. Here is a video to assist.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:50 AM
5th Gear

Wow thanks. I thought I knew what I was doing but obviously I skipped the last and most important step. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:37 PM
Pro

Figured I'd add this update to the tread. I've found that I can get the spec usa BT45-HON3 for around $140 on amazon. This will give me BT and the ability to stream music. It involves running a new mic, but seems like a good solution. Any thoughts?
Old 12-07-2016, 04:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,574 Likes on 6,625 Posts
Originally Posted by dmarcus48
Figured I'd add this update to the tread. I've found that I can get the spec usa BT45-HON3 for around $140 on amazon. This will give me BT and the ability to stream music. It involves running a new mic, but seems like a good solution. Any thoughts?
do it
Old 12-08-2016, 12:53 AM
10th Gear

Arrow

I got my HFL module working again by changing the capacitor. The instructions are here: ACURA HFL Bluetooth Module Repair. I bought the capacitor from a local electronics store for the equivalent of 30 cents. I have connected it again (without assembling everything back) and it worked.

I assembled everything back it stopped working. So, I pulled it out again and connected it without assembling everything and it worked again. As you may expect, the soldering in some parts is weak and broken. This is why the baking method works temporarily, the soldering will crack in a couple of days after and the HFL will fail again. In conclusion, without the right tools, it looks like a very hard fix.

In my case, the daughter board connection soldering appears to be damaged, if I press it against the board, it connects right away to the phone and starts working again.
Attached Thumbnails Bluetooth Fails-20161207_142538.jpg   Bluetooth Fails-20161207_142558.jpg   Bluetooth Fails-20161207_162220.jpg  
Old 12-08-2016, 10:47 AM
9th Gear

Hello,

I hope someone can help with this. I own an Acura TL 2008 and the bluetooth module (HFL) failed as it did for bunch of people.
I bought the new version of the module, part number 39770-SEP-A12ZC, more info here: Telephone Assjc *YR240L* (Light Cream Ivory) | Genuine Acura | 39770-SEP-A12ZC : Acura Parts | Genuine Acura OEM Parts | Acura Parts Cheap
Got it installed this morning and now when I go into HFL settings, there is a message saying 'No info available'. I tried pressing the voice button and kept yelling phone or phone setup with no luck. The woman's voice keeps saying 'Pardon me'.
Could this mean the bluetooth module is bad? Should I have disconnected the battery first before installing the module because I did not do it?

Thanks
Old 12-08-2016, 11:03 AM
Pro

Have you gone into your phone and see if it recognizes the HFL and try connecting it that way. It might be showing no info available because no phone is connected.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:17 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by eastcoastguy
Have you gone into your phone and see if it recognizes the HFL and try connecting it that way. It might be showing no info available because no phone is connected.
I did not try that but will do it later and see if it works. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 12-11-2016, 11:05 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by croat4
Hello,

I hope someone can help with this. I own an Acura TL 2008 and the bluetooth module (HFL) failed as it did for bunch of people.
I bought the new version of the module, part number 39770-SEP-A12ZC, more info here: Telephone Assjc *YR240L* (Light Cream Ivory) Genuine Acura 39770-SEP-A12ZC : Acura Parts Genuine Acura OEM Parts Acura Parts Cheap
Got it installed this morning and now when I go into HFL settings, there is a message saying 'No info available'. I tried pressing the voice button and kept yelling phone or phone setup with no luck. The woman's voice keeps saying 'Pardon me'.
Could this mean the bluetooth module is bad? Should I have disconnected the battery first before installing the module because I did not do it?

Thanks
The message "no info available" comes up when the bluetooth module is either not connected or defective. Make sure that the daughter board is correctly assembled, and the microphone is connected, then try again.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mojonba
LockDots,

If what you are saying is true, brand new 04-06 modules should be a single board w/o a daughtercard and identical to the 07-08 boards.

We can confirm this with a simple picture. Can anybody take a picture of their replacement 04-06 module and/or report the existence of a daughtercard?

Thanks everybody for their help.
I was going to ask if the TSX 07-08 module might be usable in 04-05-06 models. But is the connector the same? Looks to be a LOT more pins on the 07-08 one than the older one.

Jeff
Old 01-09-2017, 08:30 PM
1st Gear

2012 mdx

Just found why my battery kept draining. I unplugged the HFL module and all is fine with the battery now. I'm not pleased knowing how expensive it is to replace and for how long the new one will even last.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:24 PM
2nd Gear

see posts #503 through #530 on pages 13 and 14 several people including myself, after removing the HFL unit we have baked the HFL boards in the oven and have had success. It is nearly free (ha! your natural gas or electric bills). I baked at 385 degrees for 7 min keeping the separated boards raised off the cookie sheet with tiny aluminum foil pieces in the holes of the boards and with most components facing up. why not give it a try as replacing is pretty expensive. pretty easy to get to the HFL unit other posts here tell you how to remove it. took me like maybe 6 minutes to remove and to replace the unit. I am handy but not the mechanic type.... more DIY if I can ... this one was easy.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:17 PM
Pro

THANK YOU!!!!!! I know this is an old thread, but it worked!!! For how long I don't know, but it works.

Dave
Old 01-30-2017, 12:43 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine died a number of years ago and I've been using a visor mounted BT option due to the cost of replacing it at the time. Since the cost came down quite a bit, I'm reconsidering but have a question for those that have replaced the module - Does the problem return? or is everyone that replaced it not had any problems?

Allen
Old 01-31-2017, 09:25 AM
Pro

I don't know about the problem reoccurring, but why not try the baking method? I got an old pan, made some balls out of aluminum foil to life the circuit boards off the surface. Preheat the oven to 385, put the pan in for 7-8 minutes, and then take it out and let it cool for 30 mins. I put it back in and it worked! I was going to go with either a SPEC 1 unit or buy a stock unit, this works perfectly. I did have to hook it all up to test it, the sunroof module as well.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:50 AM
6th Gear

I had the same problem on my 06 acura TL.. the daughterboard was the problem. I applied some electrolytic grease to the connector pin and now the HFL works like a charm! There must have been some corrosion in the connector pin.. good luck
Old 02-23-2017, 04:56 AM
6th Gear

I bought an HFL from Canada and it hooked up just fine to my American 06 TL.. only difference was Canadian had French language as an option..
Old 02-23-2017, 05:03 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by thorws
well, I gave up. Tried everything, and the hfl still can't find my phones. Left the engine running, disconnecting the two boards, plugging them back up did nothing.
Just a note, my hfl doesn't say booting up. The diagnostic test says that hfl is ok. It's just not connecting to any phones.
did you try greasing with electrical grease the pin connector between the daughterboard and the main circuit board then snapping back together?
Old 03-13-2017, 10:05 PM
2008 TL w/ nav.

HFL died last week on my 2008 TL. Last one was replaced a few years ago under dealer warranty with 35 miles left! Tried baking my HFL part # 39770-SEP-A12ZA tonight.. This is a single board model, unlike the older 2 board models. I put it in the toaster oven for 8 minutes at 380-400 degrees. I also did what the others recommended, placing the board on foil "balls" to keep the board off the cookie sheet surface. Plugged it in and it worked perfect! Be sure if you do this, when you test it, you make sure you plug in the dome light plug, as this also powers the microphone. If you don't, she will hang up on you. I will see how long this cooking thing will work on the board and will post the results later.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:32 AM
6th Gear

Baking worked for me going on three weeks now and still works!
Old 03-15-2017, 07:43 AM
2008 TL w/ nav.

Well, baking the board only lasted about an hour and then it died. Still heating up when the car is off and HFL buttons don't respond. I guess I will have to buy a new one....
Old 04-22-2017, 12:37 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've read countless pages about the issue and it seems that it's a wide range of issues from not working at all, battery draining issues and other items. I'm having intermittent issues with my 06 TSX HFL that sound similar to other post but yesterday our temps dropped and wonder if this had anything to do with it. While driving and with the radio off, the HFL would turn on by itself and say the "pairing the phone can't completed thru the phones menu" or something like that. I could end the end call button and it would turn the radio back off but would cycle the same message over and over. If I'm listening to the radio it would automatically go into paring mode as well. I pulled the panel cover and the HFL module isn't warm or hot. Some days during an hour long commute it never does this and some days it will do it once or twice but yesterday it was constant.

Will baking the board or replacing the cap fix my issue. My phone is paired and I can make calls so I can't say my HFL is broken.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:56 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Firering
I've read countless pages about the issue and it seems that it's a wide range of issues from not working at all, battery draining issues and other items. I'm having intermittent issues with my 06 TSX HFL that sound similar to other post but yesterday our temps dropped and wonder if this had anything to do with it. While driving and with the radio off, the HFL would turn on by itself and say the "pairing the phone can't completed thru the phones menu" or something like that. I could end the end call button and it would turn the radio back off but would cycle the same message over and over. If I'm listening to the radio it would automatically go into paring mode as well. I pulled the panel cover and the HFL module isn't warm or hot. Some days during an hour long commute it never does this and some days it will do it once or twice but yesterday it was constant.

Will baking the board or replacing the cap fix my issue. My phone is paired and I can make calls so I can't say my HFL is broken.
It may help. My 06 TL started having this problem a few months ago. I looked at replacing the unit and then I thought it already doesn't work what do I have to lose.

Preheated the oven to 375, took the boards out of the plastic housing. I made some little balls of aluminum foil to hold the boards off the pan and put it in for 7-8 mins. I left it cool off and put it back in and it worked! If I drove for a long time it'll sometimes it'll shut off but most times it works.

My bt unit. Didn't do what you described. Mine stopped all together. Buttons didn't work, no voice nothing.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
FIY who look at this thread, there is 3 ways to correct the death HFL.

1. Oven baking/ heat gun method

Technical term for this called "Reflow" there are many electronic shop out there can perform this method but the down side is the PCB board will getting heated and also can damage the circuit if not perform correctly. Heat melts lead in the solder and flow over micro crack, however as the electronic heat and cool cycle start the crack will eventually appear again. Temporary fix to recover any data that could be lost.

2. Send it out for repair.

Most electronic shop have a machine and it called "Reball" This will replace all the solder joint. This will fix the issue in the long term, however this is rolling the dice since some of the earlier material never got removed completely therefore micro cracks can be formed. This usually happening anytime from 6 months to a year.

3. Well we all know this one and its call a full unit replacement

Acura starting to charge core return so I hope whoever produce the HFL unit corrected the original issue.

Last edited by truonghthe; 04-23-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I baked my board and am still getting the "Attempting to pair the phone" message about 2x per hour. It's not draining my battery and can still make and receive calls via the HFL. Any other ideas other than board replacement? Bought the board about 2 years ago from a totaled TSX for $50 bucks which was much cheaper than anything else. My 03 Accord had weird radio issues and now this. Honda engines -good , electronics-bad
Old 05-21-2017, 02:22 PM
5th Gear

Another HFL repair success story (2005 Acura TL base w/nav)

HFL diagnostic and Nav system indicated all systems were OK. Yet my phone lost it's pairing with the HFL. I tired many times to re-pair....no luck. An earlier post on this thread let me to this link:

https://www.oemacuraparts.com/oem-pa...QtYXV0b21hdGlj

$215.38 + shipping & core.

I received the part in a few days and installed it today. Very simple install and works like a champ!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bluetooth Fails