Bluetooth Aux Adapter That Still Connects to Car Handsfree

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 12:54 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bluetooth Aux Adapter That Still Connects to Car Handsfree

Hi all.
So I got a 2008 Acura TL with the Navi and handsfree option. However this unit doesn't have the ability to stream music via Bluetooth.

But it does have an AUX in. So I wanted to know if there are any affordable Aux-Bluetooth adapter there that I can stream both music and phonecalls through it, and it to the AUX for music and to the TL's built-in bluetooth for phonecalls.

Does that make sense or am I asking too much?

Thanks in advanced.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:19 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
A few of people aren't thrilled with it, but I have the Belkin Car Audio Connect (have been using for several years with excellent audio quality and excellent functionality):

CarAudio Connect AUX with Bluetooth®

and on Amazon:
Amazon.com: Belkin Hands-Free Bluetooth Car Kit for Apple iPod, Apple iPhone, BlackBerry,and Android Smartphones, US Version: MP3 Players & Accessories Amazon.com: Belkin Hands-Free Bluetooth Car Kit for Apple iPod, Apple iPhone, BlackBerry,and Android Smartphones, US Version: MP3 Players & Accessories

So it's pretty cheap. You can use the HFL for phone calls and this device via AUX to stream audio (with the device I have, you can also use it for phone calls, but I just use my HFL). You would just need to figure out how to place the controller in an easily accessible location. I placed mine in the little cubby in the front at the lower radio stack. The only downside to this is that the device won't automatically connect to your BT phone (you have to tap the controller once after the car is started to connect the device to your phone, but I really never found this to be a big deal). Other BT units will automatically connect to the phone once powered up, but won't control the phone (won't advance tracks on Pandora or your music app or pause...this one does all of that).

Another option if you want automatic connectivity is to use a different Aux device that plugs in directly to the car (which will automatically connect when the car is powered on), then use a BT controller to control the tracks (the phone can be connected to multiple BT devices at once), such as the Scosche ControlFreqII, available on Amazon:

Amazon.com: Scosche controlFREQ II Bluetooth Wireless Remote Control for iPad, iPhone, iPod and Android Devices: Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: Scosche controlFREQ II Bluetooth Wireless Remote Control for iPad, iPhone, iPod and Android Devices: Computers & Accessories

So you have quite a few rather inexpensive options for BT streaming and music control to connect to the Aux jack on your 08. Some of the BT adapters are rechargeable, or if you want, you can have them continously powered by the 12V power jack in the center glove box.
The following 2 users liked this post by erdoc48:
rprawira (10-16-2014), triax37 (10-16-2014)
Old 10-16-2014, 07:25 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Also, if it helps you decide how to mount it all, here's my installation:

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...lation-885653/

If you do this, it should be easier to install since you already have an AUX jack from the factory (I had to 'make' one via the USA Spec adapter, which you don't need). All you would need to do is run the cable of the controller to where you want it.

If you went with one of the other BT options (a lot of people here like the Blackberry Gateway), that unit won't control the phone, but then you could use a remote BT controller like the Scosche ControlFReq II to avoid pulling apart the console.

Good luck in your decision.
The following 2 users liked this post by erdoc48:
rprawira (10-16-2014), triax37 (10-16-2014)
Old 10-16-2014, 08:57 AM
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts
OP: many (including me) have used the
Blackberry Gateway Blackberry Gateway
($20) for the exact purpose you described - it will receive music over Bluetooth and there is a 3.5mm output that you can connect to your AUX in. It does automatically connect to your phone as soon as it receives power (via mini-USB).

As erdoc48 mentioned, the Gateway does not receive phone calls, but as long as your HandsFreeLink currently works, the car will prioritize the call. Music will fade out, and the car will allow you to use the steering controls to answer the call through the existing HFL. It's seamless - works exactly as most people would want.

erdoc48: great post and writeup. I saw you mentioned the Gateway, but I just wanted to clarify a few of the benefits.
The following users liked this post:
rprawira (10-16-2014)
Old 10-16-2014, 08:00 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks @triax37, I think I'm gonna try it.
Just another clarifying question though, so I'll have my iPhone's bluetooth connected to the Gateway, but when there's a call the iphone's bluetooth will route to the car's HFL?
Old 10-16-2014, 08:51 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Originally Posted by rprawira
Thanks @triax37, I think I'm gonna try it.
Just another clarifying question though, so I'll have my iPhone's bluetooth connected to the Gateway, but when there's a call the iphone's bluetooth will route to the car's HFL?
^^ Exactly correct. Both the Gateway and the HFL will connect to the iPhone by BT at the same time, so when you get a call, the HFL will alert you and you can pick up the call...music will pause until you hang up the HFL.
The following users liked this post:
triax37 (10-16-2014)