BlitzSafe Adjusting Firmware for the DMX V.2x; Eliminates the XM Bleed Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 03:30 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Mine already works in my 2006... no idea why it's so hit and miss.

I just received the new updated chip and will see if changes anything.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:27 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
J.Edward,
Do you have an 05 TL or 06 TL? I am hoping you have an 05 like mine so that I can see if the different part #'s for the OEM radio make a difference. I installed the OEM Ipod adapter because parts said it was compatible with 05-06 TL's yet when only one or two of the functions worked and service did not have a clue on how to make this item work than I contacted Acura Client Services and they said that the OEM Ipod adapter is in fact ONLY COMPATIBILE with the 2006 Acura TL's. Which explains why nothing works on my car at this moment. I too contacted Victor and verified that this was in fact for the 2005-2006 Tl's and he said YES. I asked him about the 2004 and he said not sure. I did not have time to grill him on the 04 and 05 OEM radio part #'s being identical and the 2006 radio part number is different. Who knows. all I know is after 3 times taking the entire front of the dash apart I feel lucky that I have not broken anything. If my new and improved interface ever arrives I will try it again and let you guys know if it functions as designed in a 2005 TL with Navigation.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:51 AM
Advanced

Location: On the banks of a filthy river in east TX ruled by crooked cops, brazen women and pansexual cowboys.
Originally Posted by 06si6spd
Do you have an 05 TL or 06 TL? I am hoping you have an 05 like mine so that I can see if the different part #'s for the OEM radio make a difference.
Afraid not, I have the 06 w/ navi. Also the adapter I'm putting in is not the iPod one, rather the RCA Line-In one.
I did not have time to grill him on the 04 and 05 OEM radio part #'s being identical and the 2006 radio part number is different.
Don't know about that one, but perhaps this is why so many 06'ers are having issues with the Blitzsafe’s RCA Line-In adapter?
All I know is after 3 times taking the entire front of the dash apart I feel lucky that I have not broken anything. If my new and improved interface ever arrives I will try it again and let you guys know if it functions as designed in a 2005 TL with Navigation.
3 times?! yikes! It's a pity your not in Houston -- I'd invite you over today to help me take apart mine (this is my first time do perform surgery on a car and I've got my fingers )
Old 07-15-2006, 07:42 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the reply. I can't wait for my new and improved Blitzsafe to arrive. Hopefully it will come today. I tried the Blitzsafe about two months ago. Installed it and it recognized my 30 GIG Video I-pod but I had absolutely no sound all it did was charge my Ipod. I spoke with Victor at Blitzsafe and he said that there was some sort of Bluetooth compatability problems with the software and that he was fully aware of the 05/06 TL's having problems. His new and improved version came out last Friday which in theory corrects all compatiblity issues with our cars and their interface. I sure the HELL hope so. Thanks again for the update. Let me know how your install goes. Beware of the aluminum looking trim pieces on both sides of the radio.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:23 AM
Advanced

Location: On the banks of a filthy river in east TX ruled by crooked cops, brazen women and pansexual cowboys.
Update:

Well, turns out I should stick to what I'm good at (which is not much ).

After almost breaking the car... repeatedly, I decided to go ahead and pork over the dough to have it installed by a pro. I'll be out of Houston next weekend so (which is when I plan on having the parts installed) so I should be able to report if the new Blitzsafe works by Monday.

In the mean time, I have to track down a replacement for the center consul passenger panel (it's the piece right below the silver trim but above the floor). Some idiot *nervous cough* managed to ding it up... and I can't @#$ stand dings!
Old 07-15-2006, 12:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
How did you manage to do that?

Head over to this site and search for the parts you need.

Here are the instructions on removing the center storage console. Wrap a towel over a flat head screw driver or butter knife and remove the two metal trim pieces starting from the rear. Once those metal trim pieces are removed, everything else can be either unscrewed or pulled out with a little bit of force.

Check out the instructions and see if you want to try it out again. Be patient and cautious and you should be fine.

Keep us updated on the Blitzafe.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:47 PM
Cruisin'

I got my new Blitzsafe V.2X ipod interface installed today on my 06 with Navi (just 340 miles) and have a couple things to report.

1. Sound is excellent.

2. NO XM bleed though at all.

3. Changing from XM to CDC takes a couple of seconds, and the XM info will be displayed on the center information screen, this does not happen when changing from FM to CDC.

4. Hitting Track + or - has no control of the ipod. All control of the ipod is done on the ipod. No track info is displayed on the Acura (neither advertised as a feature.)

5. Once you turn off the car, the ipod will pause, but will continue to change. When you turn the car back on you need to hit play on the ipod to resume playing.

I used Crook's technique to remove the XM interface, with a couple of changes. I looped a piece of twine around the XM input wires to give me something to pull the XM input out once the paint hook depressed the retention button. I also used a piece of coat hanger to replace the ipod interface in the back of the radio.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:16 AM
Advanced

Initial Test Resualts: Good

Blitzsafe appears to be working. Sound quality is good and Bluetooth appears to be functioning. I just finished putting it in (around midnight CST) and will do more testing in the morning.

Thanks for all your help guys!
Old 07-17-2006, 08:32 AM
Advanced

Still waiting on mine to arrive. Anyone out there in this Forum with the blitzsafe or the OEM Ipod adapter that has a 2005 TL . How have these items worked for you guys. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:45 AM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Got the EPPROM in on Tuesday and got it installed last night and tested. Everything is functioning correctly and the sound is great. It looks like the they finally got it to work!!!

So for those that where waiting, you can go ahead and get the current version now. I am so glad to have it working finally.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:21 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP
Got the EPPROM in on Tuesday and got it installed last night and tested. Everything is functioning correctly and the sound is great. It looks like the they finally got it to work!!!

So for those that where waiting, you can go ahead and get the current version now. I am so glad to have it working finally.
I also just installed my new EPPROM this morning and things are much, much better.
  • No XM bleed.
  • XM is at full volume
  • Dependable selection of ipod w/o cycling the radio power a few times.
The only quirk I have is:
  1. Shut off car while iPod is playing
  2. Turn car back on
  3. Press play on iPod
  4. After a second I hear it but the radio is completely blank
  5. Once I press any other button the radio lights up and goes to the input selected.
That's pretty minor since all I'm missing at that point is seeing "CDC" on the display !
Old 07-22-2006, 01:47 PM
Safety Car

I'm glad to hear that this is working now for everyone. Too bad it took them a while, otherwise I would have gone with this audio interface than the PIE X3.

Some followup questions (just out of curiousity):

1. Other than Enfig, what other online merchants are currently shipping these new updated modules? How can you tell if its the new updated module?

2. Those with an EPPROM upgrade, how does that work? Do swap something out or are you flashing the firmware somehow?

Thanks for keeping us updated!
Old 07-22-2006, 02:34 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by datmrman
I'm glad to hear that this is working now for everyone. Too bad it took them a while, otherwise I would have gone with this audio interface than the PIE X3.

Some followup questions (just out of curiousity):

1. Other than Enfig, what other online merchants are currently shipping these new updated modules? How can you tell if its the new updated module?

2. Those with an EPPROM upgrade, how does that work? Do swap something out or are you flashing the firmware somehow?

Thanks for keeping us updated!
1 ) Not sure about stock at others than Enfig but Christian at Enfig was SO COOL about waiting for me to get the upgrade from BlitzSafe (it took way over their 14 day policy) that I'll always go with them if they carry something I want. He was willing to swap out a unit well over 30 days but then my EEPROM FINALLY showed up. It took Victor @ BlitzSafe quite a while longer than he originally told me. He came through in the end.

2) No flashing. Heavens no. Just pop out the printed circuit board PCB from the unit and replace a dual in-line package (DIP) chip. They use a socket on the board so it's pretty easy. The wired end (opposite the DIN socket) pops off and then the PCB slides out. I'm an EE and a long time DIY electronics hobbyist so this was really natural for me. Others may want to think about it. Longest part of the job was getting the thing out of the car. Make sure it is completely unplugged from all connections before opening and changing the chip.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:55 PM
|AM.UA6|

Originally Posted by Adobeman
1 ) Not sure about stock at others than Enfig but Christian at Enfig was SO COOL about waiting for me to get the upgrade from BlitzSafe (it took way over their 14 day policy) that I'll always go with them if they carry something I want. He was willing to swap out a unit well over 30 days but then my EEPROM FINALLY showed up. It took Victor @ BlitzSafe quite a while longer than he originally told me. He came through in the end.

2) No flashing. Heavens no. Just pop out the printed circuit board PCB from the unit and replace a dual in-line package (DIP) chip. They use a socket on the board so it's pretty easy. The wired end (opposite the DIN socket) pops off and then the PCB slides out. I'm an EE and a long time DIY electronics hobbyist so this was really natural for me. Others may want to think about it. Longest part of the job was getting the thing out of the car. Make sure it is completely unplugged from all connections before opening and changing the chip.
The people at Enfig are indeed very good. I ordered this unit back in 5/22 and they did not ship out the unit because it was defective at the time and told me to wait till the new chip for this unit came out from Blitzsafe. It took Blitzsafe approximately 2 months to get the new chip, so after the new chip arrived, Enfig immediately shipped out the DMX V.2X to me and I received it sometime last week.

I installed the unit yesterday, and the unit worked flawlessly even with the Navi with no bleeds what-so-ever. I am very happy about this unit.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:07 AM
Safety Car

Alright, I am confused.

Since the thread title says "DMX V.2X," I have been assuming that everyone is referring to the Blitzsafe HON/AUX DMX V.2X which provides a single aux input.

Then 06si6spd starts using the term "DMX" with "iPod" in this thread.

The Blitzsafe HON/MLink1 V.2X is the one with the iPod integration.

So which module is the one that is recently updated?! Am I missing something here?

Someone please clarify!
Old 07-28-2006, 01:31 AM
|AM.UA6|

Alright, I am confused.

Since the thread title says "DMX V.2X," I have been assuming that everyone is referring to the Blitzsafe HON/AUX DMX V.2X which provides a single aux input.

So which module is the one that is recently updated?! Am I missing something here?

Someone please clarify!

The one that is recently updated would be the DMX V.2X, a single aux input.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:42 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone else using the new updated and doing okay and also any other places to buy this from?

I want to spend as little as possible but no one has posted any sites known to sell the updated ver.

Thxs
Old 07-30-2006, 01:54 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Alright, I am confused.

Someone please clarify!
Whoa... My bad. I apologize for adding to any confusion. My comments above were about my updating the firmware in my iPod interface. On Enfig's site it is called Blitzsafe - HON/M-Link1 V.2X. Again, apologies for any confusion I added to the thread.

I'm going to speculate that it makes sense that both the HON/M-Link1 V.2X and the HON/AUX DMX V.2X are both being upgraded by BlitzSafe since the real issue is how the unit interacts with the head unit (bleed, sluggish response, etc) in the 3GTL rather than the aux input part of the interface. Whether a set of RCA jacks or an iPod's audio out is connected isn't really the issue. I'm guessing aside from RCA jacks or the iPod dock cable there is little difference in the unit except for the iPod charging circuit. How to mux audio into the TL head unit is probably very similar if not identical.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Intermediate

I just wanted to chime in to confirm that my HON/AUX DMX V.2X was ordered at Enfig on 7/26, arrived on 7/28, installed on 7/30, and works perfectly so far with no issues.

Just in case people were still wondering if the "new fixed part" is now shipping.

I don't know about the Ipod version of the above.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:53 PM
Racer

I have one of the updated ones and it works with no bleeding or anything but I have a few minor problems.

Sometimes the buttons such as XM, FM or CD do not respond right away. I have to hit them a few times.... Also, if I have a CD playing, and than go back to XM or FM, than want to go back to the CD i hit it but it goest to CD-C which is fine but sometimes when I hit again it will go right to the CD as it should, and other times I got to hit it like 3-9 times before it will switch..

Anyone else have this problem? Maybe mines really not updated?

I have 06 w/ XM/Navi.

Other than this works great, got from Enfig...
Old 09-16-2006, 09:46 PM
Intermediate

Same problem here...

I've got the exact same problem and have been meaning to post about it. I bought one of the updated models from enfig to hard-wire my Sirius receiver (photoblog still to come) and noticed the same problems from the start:

- When I switch out of CD-C mode, much of the system is unresponsive for about five seconds.
- The small LED display that reads the temperatures doesn't update to show the correct mode.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:44 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by BigB2k5
I have one of the updated ones and it works with no bleeding or anything but I have a few minor problems.

Sometimes the buttons such as XM, FM or CD do not respond right away. I have to hit them a few times.... Also, if I have a CD playing, and than go back to XM or FM, than want to go back to the CD i hit it but it goest to CD-C which is fine but sometimes when I hit again it will go right to the CD as it should, and other times I got to hit it like 3-9 times before it will switch..

Anyone else have this problem? Maybe mines really not updated?

I have 06 w/ XM/Navi.

Other than this works great, got from Enfig...
Same here to but I have been putting up with it since the XM issues are resolved and I can always get the ipod to play. I generally don't switch around while driving. I'll either be playing the iPod or listening to something else so it isn't a big deal.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:29 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Well, here is a new one. Anyone else notice this problem after installing ?

CD Changer "beeps" and spits out all 6 discs when I just want to exchange one disk. That gets "old" fast.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:18 PM
Intermediate

You know what, I noticed that too, but I thought maybe I just wasn't remembering the old behavior correctly. I was cursing Acura for trying to spit out all the discs.

Maybe we need to get on the horn for another firmware upgrade...
Old 09-25-2006, 04:01 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by TLinPHL
Maybe we need to get on the horn for another firmware upgrade...
At first I thought that but then I remembered:
  1. how long it took them to get the FW update out to me the first time
  2. What my time is worth every time I pull the unit and change the chip
  3. The risk of snapping/breaking something when I get the unit out
  4. How the new USA Spec (the one that includes the y harness) works so much better and has more features.
  5. How Blitzsafe doesn't answer emails and has no toll free number
  6. How little confidence I have that then next FW will be any better.
To be honest the unit isn't a disaster but it has enough problems to make it very irritating.

I think I might just consider it $80 of bad investment.
I'll could always re-use the harnessing and iPod cable to make my own unit that will just do the "old XM switcheroo" or I'll get the new USA Spec.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:07 PM
Intermediate

Does the USA Spec connect through the CD-C input or through the XM input? Is it an aux in or just for iPods? I never much looked at them.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:55 PM
Safety Car

Then it wouldn't hurt if you tried searching.

Keyword 'PA11-HON2' or 'PA11-HON2y' for the updated version.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:52 AM
Intermediate

Then it wouldn't hurt if you tried searching.

Keyword 'PA11-HON2' or 'PA11-HON2y' for the updated version.
With all those words you typed, you could have simply said yes or no and saved us both a lot of grief, supermod.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Cruisin'

Has there any problem occured? I am thinking of getting this and from reading the posts from the past, i was wondering if there any issues?
Old 07-17-2012, 08:46 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
HON/AUX DMX V.2X still a good AUX idea?
Old 07-20-2012, 09:16 AM
2nd Gear

Bump. Just picked up a 04' TL. I'm with ResistaNce, is this the best option for a generic Aux Input?