Blitzsafe

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 05:57 AM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
It works the same as a PC, when you boot it up it looks for attached devices.

D.

Originally Posted by chusteveb
You would think that once the unit saw the cd-c input it would remember it rather than re learning it at every startup.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:42 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is this issue with having to install a swtich by cutting into Blitzsafe's module something we sould bring up with blitzsafe? Right now mine is installed the way the directions told me to and it worked for a few times with no xm and now it doesn't work at all. Of course I-Mod has now let us know why, but I still think that those of us who have recieved this item from Blitzsafe should call in. Is this the same problem as the TSX and Accord with xm?
Old 11-01-2004, 01:49 PM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

The device works fine on the Accord/TSX w/XM but when you have it hooked up you loose the XM function. To keep XM you have to put in the switch and it works fine. I'm sure blitz Safe will come up with a fix for the NAV/XM cars soon. That is if they can find a way to get the channels on the bus not to overlap. For now the switch will have to do the trick.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:20 PM
Racer

Ok, I just got off the phone with Blitzsafe and talked to Mark, head tech (nice guy). The TL he told me that he did his R&D was a non-navi, non XM. He may be a bit confused but I told him that all TL's (3rd gen) have xm unless it was the Canada version. The way he responded to me suggested that he was aware of this 'no xm' problem after the fact of releasing this product. However my locking up issue that Draiden and I have experienced, but I-MOD has help to solve using a switch, Mark had never heard of. He was inquiring where I was located at to see if I could bring my car in for further R&D. Unfortunately I'm no where near but he has a guy in mind that he just needs to convince to let him use the car. Mark actually told me about this honda Bus harness 2 port and even gave me the Honda part number for it (08A31-0F1-000) which he told me will fix my 'no xm' problem. I didn't have the heart to tell him that it wouldn't work without modifying the harness since I don't actually have experience with it personally. Mark is actually making this honda bus harness 2 port for Blitzsafe himself and has all the plugs for it, he is just waiting on the pins so he can get one together. This shoudl result in only having to get BS one plug that will combine what we have now, but actually work (w/o mods).

I guess the only thing I can conclude was that I-Mod's R&D and what we know is more than Blitzsafe at this point in time. It is a safe bet to say that now that BS knows of our issues that they will come out with a better version soon. I guess a few of you guys have already called in which has helped in their awareness so that's good. Mark also confirmed that I could send my plug back for a replacement since that's why he thought mine was locking up. He also said i could trade for the newer version if i wait for it.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:27 PM
Racer

I-MOD should drop into Blitzsafe and help them get a head start on V.3. lol

One last thing that help put my anxieties to rest was that Mark reasurred me that what we were looking for is 'in theory' what they are putting together. Just an aux audio in w/o loosing any current functions, and no external switches!

Now it's waiting time...
Old 11-02-2004, 06:30 AM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

Anyone know where they are located
Old 11-02-2004, 07:03 AM
Team Nighthawk President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-MOD
Anyone know where they are located
I think NJ...are you on your way?!?!?!

Yep...here is the address:

BLITZSAFE of America, Inc.
33 Honeck Street
Englewood, New Jersey 07631 USA
(201) 569-5000

Old 11-02-2004, 09:31 AM
Racer

yup that's it.

Additional info: (800) 597-SAFE Fax: (201) 569-5042
www.blitzsafe.com E-mail: Blitzsafe@blitzsafe.com
Old 11-02-2004, 11:17 AM
Love my TL

I-MOD should drop into Blitzsafe and help them get a head start on V.3. lol

One last thing that help put my anxieties to rest was that Mark reasurred me that what we were looking for is 'in theory' what they are putting together. Just an aux audio in w/o loosing any current functions, and no external switches!

Now it's waiting time...
waiting time..... We've been waiting for a Blitzsafe solution for almost a year now.
I was waiting to install the AVElectronics unit, DVD player and Xbox but I think I'll go ahead go with the FM modulation for now. Has anyone tried a CD to Cassette adapter? http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=12-1999
I wonder if it sounds better than the FM modulator?

Who knows, the Blitzsafe for the TL may never come out.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:02 PM
Racer

Hey guys, I am glad to report that I got my audio to work on the dvd player w/o the use of the blitzsafe plug and will be returning it on monday unless one of you guys want it ( I may get it to you faster than blitzsafe, lol). I decided to go ahead and risk some noise and routed the dvd audio through a relay along with the xm audio wires. I glad to say that I have no noise at all on either xm or the dvd nor do I have any volume loss on either. At the moment I do have one switch; I installed it right above the 12v plug in the arm-rest. Upon fliping this switch, the dvd player turns on, the avelectronics unit turns the navi screen to video and shows video from input 4 using the reverse camera feature, and activates 4 relays cutting the path for the xm audio and allowing the dvd to play audio; all this with the flip of one switch. Basiclly this is my dvd switch. So the only thing I have to do other than flipping this switch is make sure that the source is selected to xm radio. I would recommend this setup to anyone who is looking to only end up with one external source, ie. dvd player. One thing that is nice is that while watching a dvd, the navi will still voice guide you to your destination. All HFL and navi options still work while watching a movie. If you need more details on the relay set up feel free to pm me. I'll try and get something up in the next few days.

Once again, I'm very happy with the final results. I get no noise or whine at all which was contrary to what i was expecting!!!
Old 11-10-2004, 12:48 AM
SSM 6MT

I've been trying to follow this thread and there's a ton of information here. Can someone tell me what I need to connect my iPod to a non-Navi system that I don't subscribe to XM either (not offered in Hawaii). Thanks!
Old 11-10-2004, 08:02 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I might have I-mod look into that also I just bought an ipod mini yesterday for the heck of it, But.. honestly I can just burn whatever mp3's onto a cd and play them in the dvd player in the trunk.. hmm.. we will see hopefully we can come up with something that works all the time w/o switches. Oh I will be in hawaii this xmas Man I miss my home town
Old 11-10-2004, 12:49 PM
04 TL 6MT A-Spec Navi ABP

Originally Posted by rstark
I've been trying to follow this thread and there's a ton of information here. Can someone tell me what I need to connect my iPod to a non-Navi system that I don't subscribe to XM either (not offered in Hawaii). Thanks!
Basically, two ways to go:

1. Buy a Blitzsafe adaptor (SON/HON ITI V.2) to give aux input, buy a Honda 2-port bus cable (audio bus splitter), and a small SPST switch. This gives audio in and is easily installable in the dash area. There are a couple drawbacks though... since you do not need to worry about XM, you wan't mind that a low buzz will appear when listening to it. Second, the Blitzsafe adaptor takes over the audio bus and has an issue where it intermittently locks up the audio system. This is solved by installing a switch to cut the yellow wire (main power) to the BS box. Once your car is on, flip the switch off and then back on for things to work right.

2. You can tap into the audio wires for the XM located in the trunk. This takes the use of relays if you want to keep XM. Since you do not care about this, I would think that you could just cut the wires and use them exclusively as an audio in source. The pain is that the wires are in the trunk. I have not looked into it but, I would think that they must also terminate under the dash. I would think it fairly easy to intercept them there and install a couple RCA jacks.

Personally, I am hoping that the Monster iPod solution discussed in another thread is going to be the one to go with. However, we will not know until the end of the month.

Note: I'd trade XM for living in Hawaii any day!

Good luck!
Old 11-10-2004, 01:03 PM
Team Anthracite Member

No XM in Canada so...

Hi guys,

I've posted this elsewhere before, but it really does belong in this thread. In Canada, we don't have XM radio on our head units. Instead, the FM/AM button is split into two buttons. But I figure the head unit still has the AUX in from XM. We just have no way of selecting it. Does anyone know how to select it on the Canadian head unit or even if it DOES in fact exist back there? That would be a nice solution for Canadians to install an iPod or a DVD input... Thanks guys.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:22 PM
Racer

^^^^
I'd go with option 2 that Draiden presented. I cut into my XM wires in the trunk using relays and resulted in being able to keep my XM, added an aux-audio in, no buzzing noises or feedback, plus I don't have to worry about when to flip and flip back switches.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:25 PM
Racer

... Oh yeah; and no adapters to pay for.

BTW, I do have one switch, I just turn it on when I want to use my external source and off when I don't. Pretty simple concept to me, even though I'd rather have no switches.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:51 AM
SSM 6MT

Draiden, thanks for the advice. Everything seems pricey. I like option 2, but am not sure I want to run wires that long. We'll see.

Chusteveb, I'm leaning towards that route. Do you need a switch if you weren't using XM?

I've seen convertes from PAC, iceLink and the Neo iON. All seem to be pretty pricey, and all would work in my situation. The question is do I want to spend $200 just to hook up my iPod?
Old 11-11-2004, 09:04 AM
Racer

I guess if XM isn't offered in Hawaii and you think it never will be nor would your car ever hit the lower 48; or even if it did you still wouldn't take advantage of this feature, then no you wouldn't need a switch at all, you would simply hit your existing XM button and you'd be listening to your ipod or whatever your source is that you want to hear. Or the other way to do it would be to have the switch but you would never have to touch it unless sometime down the road you end up being able to take advantage of the TL's stock XM feature.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:21 PM
Intermediate

... Oh yeah; and no adapters to pay for.

BTW, I do have one switch, I just turn it on when I want to use my external source and off when I don't. Pretty simple concept to me, even though I'd rather have no switches.
Do you have a schematic diagram of the changes?
Old 11-12-2004, 08:23 AM
Racer

Attorney, what is your set up now? Schematics is in my head, but I'd be glad to tell you what you need to know if you tell me what it is you have and in a round about way, what it is you want. Do you have a dvd set up using the avelectronics unit?
Old 11-18-2004, 08:54 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Alternator whine...

After I had I-MOD hook up my SHOND3 adapter to my 2004 Accord so that I could get audio from my DVD player through the factory speakers without the FM modulator, I have some alternator whine whenever I listen to XM radio. I only hear it when XM is switched on. It does not come on when the factory CD player is playing, nor does it come on (at least I can't hear it like I can when XM is playing) when the audio from the DVD player is playing. Will a GLI (ground loop isolator) take care of this problem? It's quite annoying when I have the car on and I'm listening to the comedy channel or something.
Yesterday I even tried to move the SHOND3 box from underneath the navigation system screen to just to the right of the shifter. This did not work.
Anyone have any advice?
Old 11-18-2004, 01:55 PM

I have the same noise coming from the BlitzSafe box. Unfortunately, I have not taken the time to troubleshoot any more than you have. Well, actually, there are two power inputs coming through the buss into that box so I tried disconnecting both (the switched yellow is one of them) but this did not help either. It seems that the BS box or buss cable are drawing in the noise. However, I am not sure if installing a GLI will help, or even where to install it. I guess I would first try it on the yellow switched wire.

Interesting thing I noticed though... when listening to XM, if you switch on the BS box you can actually listen to the audio input without entering CD-C mode. It would seem that the BS box is not designed correctly and this is why it inherantly interferes with XM (unless we switch the yellow wire). So, I would bet the the BS adaptor is injecting the humm onto the line. Yes, it is very annoying.

I know my rambling was not very helpful... sorry.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:43 AM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

the setup on the 04 TL is the same and there is no noise from it when listening to XM. It could be something to to the the Accord/TSX setup. Has anyone tried to put an isolator on the DVD RCA inputs on the BS adapter? Could be feeding in from the DVD possibly

D.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:41 AM
Racer

I returned my plug to blitzsafe yesterday. They will refund me in full with the exception of shipping. Had I never tried their plug I would've never had to take my dash apart. Now I'm missing a couple of clips and it's enevitable that I have a slight rattle (fixed already... it was a hassle). My set-up is still working flawlessly.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:42 AM
Team Anthracite Member

chusteveb, why did you return it? what was it for in the first place? I just ordered an AUX adapter from autotoys.com. I think it'll work since the Canadian cars don't have XM. Just curious what the Blitzsafe adapter was supposed to do. Do you have a part number for it? I paid $120US for the autotoys part -- was I ripped off?
Old 11-19-2004, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by I-MOD
the setup on the 04 TL is the same and there is no noise from it when listening to XM. It could be something to to the the Accord/TSX setup. Has anyone tried to put an isolator on the DVD RCA inputs on the BS adapter? Could be feeding in from the DVD possibly

D.
Just an FYI - my setup is using an MP3 player located in the front by the dash. The audio wire is 3 feet and is mostly located up in the dash. So, it is not picking up interference over the long run from the trunk. Additionally, there is no noise when listening to the MP3 player - just XM. It is either the BS adaptor picking up the interference of the 2-port plug doing it. However, this does not make much sense if it works okay in the Accord.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:14 AM
Racer

Ok after reading this entire thread can someone tell me

If I don't care about XM and I want to do the DVD conversion and have multiple sources for the headrest monitors what would I need I want to know everything I would need beginning to end.

XM really doesn't appeal to me but i would like to have an xbox and a couple of headrest monitors to play multiple sources if so inclined.

Thanks for the advice. You guys have been a huge help with all my questions up til this point. ( I have been lurking for a couple months now)

Ryan
Old 04-29-2005, 09:17 PM
Intermediate

Audio Input - Tap Into XM

Originally Posted by Draiden

You can tap into the audio wires for the XM located in the trunk. This takes the use of relays if you want to keep XM. Since you do not care about this, I would think that you could just cut the wires and use them exclusively as an audio in source. The pain is that the wires are in the trunk. I have not looked into it but, I would think that they must also terminate under the dash. I would think it fairly easy to intercept them there and install a couple RCA jacks.
Hello Draiden,

I've had my 2005 non-nav, XM TL for three days now and am trying to figure out how to get an audio signal directly from my computer in the trunk to the head unit. I do want to keep XM if possible.

I saw the above advice you gave another poster and it looks promising. I'm wondering, though, exactly how this works. What kind of wiring would be necessary? How would I switch between FM and the computer?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin
Old 04-29-2005, 09:28 PM
Intermediate

Audio Input - Tap Into XM

^^^^
I'd go with option 2 that Draiden presented. I cut into my XM wires in the trunk using relays and resulted in being able to keep my XM, added an aux-audio in, no buzzing noises or feedback, plus I don't have to worry about when to flip and flip back switches.
Chusteveb,

I'm a newbie trying to figure out if this config will work for me. Since I will be playing my MP3s from a computer installed in the trunk I shouldn't have a long wire run. How exactly do you do this? Also, how do you switch between aux-in and XM with this config?

Kevin
Old 06-13-2005, 11:27 AM
Intermediate

Mp3 hook up

Hi all, I just got a new 2005 TL a few days ago, I want to hook up an mp3 player to it, I do not mind losing XM at all because I do not like it. I was wondering if these dension Ice Link things work or what is the best/most simple solution? I dont mind paying for it. I would like the mp3 to show songs on my Navigation though if possible.