Best way to run power and video from trunk to Center Console

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 02:08 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to run power and video from trunk to Center Console

I'm doing an install this weekend. Plan on NAV in trunk, but there are two 90 degree angles to get under the rug... there must be a simple trick, and if I tap into fuse, how far should video be separated from power from rear power adaptor ?

Somebody must have been there done that. Is it better to run power from fuse on left and video on right, maybe along lower door trim ? Any tricks here ?
Old 09-14-2006, 03:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
There are a few DIY on here. Here is mine: DIY: Backup Camera with Dom's TVandNav2Go PNP Install

To get under the rug, find a long screw driver. With the cables taped to the head of the screwdriver, use the screwdriver to lead the wires under the carpet.

As for separation of video from power cable, get some good quality shielded cables and you wouldn't have to worry too much. If you must be anal about it, keep them separated as much as possible. Run the cables under and along the door trim: power on the left and video on the right or vice versa. I've read that the side trims just pop off.

Search, read up and you should be fine. Good luck!
Old 09-14-2006, 06:11 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by davidrousseau
I'm doing an install this weekend. Plan on NAV in trunk, but there are two 90 degree angles to get under the rug... there must be a simple trick, and if I tap into fuse, how far should video be separated from power from rear power adaptor ?

Somebody must have been there done that. Is it better to run power from fuse on left and video on right, maybe along lower door trim ? Any tricks here ?
Use a metal hanger. Worked like a champ..
Old 09-15-2006, 12:11 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How good is good quality shielded ?

There are a million grades of shielded cable.... ranging from Monster (probably overpriced) to other less expensive. I have researhed this thread, and there are a bunch of opinions. Maybe I'll try some middle of the road cable while I have the ability to change it.

Did anybody need to loosen the carpet to slide the coat hanger under it ?

Originally Posted by datmrman
There are a few DIY on here. Here is mine: DIY: Backup Camera with Dom's TVandNav2Go PNP Install

To get under the rug, find a long screw driver. With the cables taped to the head of the screwdriver, use the screwdriver to lead the wires under the carpet.

As for separation of video from power cable, get some good quality shielded cables and you wouldn't have to worry too much. If you must be anal about it, keep them separated as much as possible. Run the cables under and along the door trim: power on the left and video on the right or vice versa. I've read that the side trims just pop off.

Search, read up and you should be fine. Good luck!