Best speakers for rock/metal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Best speakers for rock/metal?

I listen pretty much solely to rock and metal (death/tech/folk/heavy etc) and I'd like to know if any speakers in particular are suited exceptionally well to this sort of music.

I'd prefer not to install an amp or sub.

So, is there anything in particular that AZ prefers? I'm willing to spend a couple hundred. I can spend more, if need be. Honest opinions are preferred.

I've searched in the past for this, and the FAQ doesn't address it.

Thanx
Old 07-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Without adding an amp, your choices are limited. Infinity makes some high efficiency 2-ohm speakers that sound ok. Stock speakers are usually more efficient than aftermarket so adding aftermarket speakers without an amp will usually result in less volume.

I've auditioned many and owned a few, for the price, the Image Dynamics CTX65cs were very nice. You may be able to find the high end IDs used for cheap now that the company has gone through some changes. I love my current Dynaudio 342 set for every type of music, best components I've ever owned.

How do you like your highs? In your face and bright or more laid back?
The following users liked this post:
1ogan (07-08-2011)
Old 07-08-2011, 01:52 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

It depends on the type of music, honestly. If most of the vocals are high, then I like my highs loud and blaring. If I'm listening to something more instrumental, then I'd prefer everything to be more balanced. The stock speakers don't seem to scale terribly well on highs when it comes to increasing the volume.

How much would a quality amp cost? How's installation?

Also, a brief check on the Dynaudio 342s shows them @ 1,200!

I'd like to do it right the first time, so saving up is an option. How much could I expect to spend on a quality setup, assuming I splurge and go for the high end?

Last edited by 1ogan; 07-08-2011 at 01:56 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:23 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by 1ogan
Thanks for the reply!

It depends on the type of music, honestly. If most of the vocals are high, then I like my highs loud and blaring. If I'm listening to something more instrumental, then I'd prefer everything to be more balanced. The stock speakers don't seem to scale terribly well on highs when it comes to increasing the volume.

I'd like to do it right the first time, so saving up is an option. How much could I expect to spend on a quality setup, assuming I splurge and go for the high end?
To get a what you're describing, a more balanced speaker, you're going to need a LOT more money and definitely an amp. I suggest you save up a little longer and do it right the first time. I can pretty much guarantee that you'd be back here in a few months wanting to upgrade if you just replaced the speakers off the factory amp.

Amp Cost: Depends on your needs. Obviously more expensive the more power you need..but you won't be doing anything crazy so it'll be ok. If you wanted to do just the front components and call it a day then a 2-channel amp will be fine. If you are skeptical about doing a sub later on then do a 4-channel and you can wire up the components now and add a sub on the other 2 channels (bridged) later on. I suggest going the later route. You'll want that low end and you won't get it from the components unless you go high end components or a 3-way. So tell us if you'd like to just do components or possibly later add a sub. You'll be fine with stock rears so no worries there. I fade mine nearly all out as I like my soundstage up front, where it should be.
1ogan (07-08-2011)
Old 07-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by 1ogan
Thanks for the reply!

I never would have thought I would spend that kind of money on components but I kept buying $150-$300 components and then selling them because I could never get them to sound perfect. I wish I would have just saved for this set in the first place. Now I find myself ignoring the speakers and just enjoying the music instead of having something about the sound annoying me. The 3-way set includes a mid range that you have to mount somewhere. I had a nice custom set of kick panels made by "neibur3" on here. They tuck the mids in very well so you lose no foot room. He also sold me the Dyns for a great price. They also make a 2-way set that's cheaper and won't require custom kick panels. I ran mine for a couple days as a 2-way without the mids and they sound great.

You will hear things in the music that you've never heard before. Songs I had listened to literally 100 times before had details in them that I had never heard before. They handle every type of music well. Out of the box, they're very neutral, no offensive qualities. You can eq them to sound anyway you want. If you like them bright, they will be bright. If you like them laid back, they will do that too.

As for amps, there's a big debate on whether an expensive "SQ" oriented amp actually produces better sound than a solid cheaper amp. I've run 3 different amps on these components, a very cheap one, a mid grade JL audio, and a high end McIntosh and it's very hard to hear any differences. I am, however running a processor that tends to make any differences hard to hear (that's the nice way of saying it lol). Right now I'm getting a Rockford Fosgate T1000-4ad. I had it once, never used it and sold it. Now I'm buying it back. 250w x4 at 4 ohm, it's all the power you'll ever need. I put in an offer at Sonic Electronix and they will sell a new one for $572.

I think the best thing you can do right now is the opposite of what I did. Plan out your system from the beginning and save the money starting now. I upgraded so many components so many times due to a lack of planning that I probably spent over twice what I should have.

You for sure will want a sub eventually and you will need an amp for both the subs and comps. There are a lot of good subs out there. The Image Dynamics IDQ and IDMax are good subs. JL audio W6 and W7 are great but expensive. Acoustic Elegance makes some of the best subs around but the wait can be pretty long.

Then you need to consider if you want to go sealed, ported, bandpass, or infinite baffle. I've done all of those but I settled on infinite baffle because you can run some large subs and lose very little trunk space and the efficiency is crazy. Mine is a SQ setup with two 15s, more than 90% of my trunk is still usable and I run them off of 200w. The thing I like about large subs IB is that they will still hit the upper notes with ease but they dig deep effortlessly without sounding muddy.
1ogan (07-08-2011)
Old 07-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
If you have any kind of savvy at all, you won't have to pay retail. Go to an audio shop and listen to some sets, but make sure that you don't stand right in front of them, rather off to the side or in between them.

Figure out a budget and how much room in the trunk you are will in to invest and you will get some good advice. Also, we need to know if you are handy enough to do the work yourself, or if you need to pay somebody to do it.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:39 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,365 Posts
I have ID CX65/2 components in front/mid woofers in back and love them. They are running through an Alpine MRP F450 which is rated at 100 per at 2 ohms.

I had Infinity 6.5 Perfects before which I loved and the Image Dynamics make them sound weak.

I have a 10" 2ohm JL sub using a MRP m500 which pounds out 500 at 2 ohms.

I have had good systems for decades and this is the best I have had.