Basslink II, Tapping straight into sub possible? (after the amp)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 06:40 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Basslink II, Tapping straight into sub possible? (after the amp)

Ok after an hour of searching I'm getting annoyed. I'm installing the Basslink II, can I just tap dead straight into the black and red wires running up to the stock sub??? When I do, the servo light is lit constantly but there's no sound.

Don't tell me I gotta tap in before the amp...

I don't want to use the speakers, just tap into the sub connection and disconnect stock sub, and leave the rear speakers be. Oh yeah, and no LOC either, heard you dont need it.. Anyone got a wire config?? Basslink manual says nothing about tapping into stock subs.

thanks in advance.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
Yes, you can. Use both right and left channel at the stock sub wiring.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpiderX1016
Yes, you can. Use both right and left channel at the stock sub wiring.

Hmmm.. I tried that but it didn't work. Do I need a LOC for tapping in? I tried using the speaker level plug that Basslink II comes with, I plugged in the FRONT input , there are 4 wires L(+ and -) and R(+ and -). Twisted together the Positives (+) for Left and Right channels and the Negatives (-) Left and Right and placed over the sub wiring and...nothing.
The servo light came on but it's lit constantly, as if the gain is at max and it's supposed to flash to the beat.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hotwired05
Hmmm.. I tried that but it didn't work. Do I need a LOC for tapping in? I tried using the speaker level plug that Basslink II comes with, I plugged in the FRONT input , there are 4 wires L(+ and -) and R(+ and -). Twisted together the Positives (+) for Left and Right channels and the Negatives (-) Left and Right and placed over the sub wiring and...nothing.
The servo light came on but it's lit constantly, as if the gain is at max and it's supposed to flash to the beat.
I recently put one in my dad's truck. You don't need a LOC or anything, just plug and play.

I twisted together the left rear and right rear channels and tapped them into the stock sub wiring. Disconnected the stock sub as well and I didn't use the front channel and left it unplugged.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
according to crutchfield it has:

Speaker-Level Inputs (4-channels): Two 4-pin Molex connectors for the supplied speaker-level input harnesses (Input Sensitivity: 1V to 16V)

Line Inputs (4-channels): Two pairs of female RCA jacks for the included patch cables (Input Sensitivity: 50mV to 4.0V)

So I'm guessing you have to use the molex conectors and not the RCA jacks
Old 05-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by csmeance
according to crutchfield it has:

Speaker-Level Inputs (4-channels): Two 4-pin Molex connectors for the supplied speaker-level input harnesses (Input Sensitivity: 1V to 16V)

Line Inputs (4-channels): Two pairs of female RCA jacks for the included patch cables (Input Sensitivity: 50mV to 4.0V)

So I'm guessing you have to use the molex conectors and not the RCA jacks
Correct, Use the rear channels only. Leave the front channel connector disconnected.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:40 AM
Instructor

Thanks for replies. Yes I was using the molex connectors since using RCA's would require a LOC and remote turn on. Ok I'll try it again with the rear molex connector.

I was thinking that maybe since the sub is already getting an amplified signal from the factory amp that's why Basslink wasn't working and the servo led was lit constantly, so I was thinking maybe I have to go pre-amp but then again how would the basslink use the auto-on feature... We'll thanks again, I'll give it a go today.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Instructor

Well, I tried hooking it up today, and still not working. It turns on, I can hear a little bit of bass coming out but I can't increase the volume no matter what I do. I can set the gain to Max, but all that does is distort the little bit of bass that it's giving.. It seems like the volume control might be broken, I'm gonna send it back and exchange. Thanks for all your help guys.