Basslink best location

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 01:54 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Basslink best location

I have seen some pics of peoples basslink subs. One person put it facing the driver in the truck up near the backseat. Another person had it in the driver corner of the trunk facing into the trunk area.

I get my basslink tommarow and will be installing it myself. I got a LOC and some rockford fosgate wiring kits. Any suggestions for install or best places for the sub?

I hear I need to take out the backseat to really get to the stock sub and perform the install. Anyone know the link to backseat removal I looked and can't find it.

Thanks to acurazine for all the great info on window tint and stereo install and all mods for that matter. Thanks 2006 Blk TL a-spec.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:22 AM
Advanced

I put mine in the back driver corner facing into the trunk area (you want to be able to easily access the controls on the face of the unit). You don't need the LOC, just tap into the stock subwoofer wires, doubling up so you have both a left and right speaker level input for the Basslink. That approach also eliminates the need to run a remote power-on wire. The LOC addes unnecessary complexity and won't impact the sound IMHO - we're talking low frequency bass signals.

Rather than mount the unit by drilling the unit into the trunk floor, I cut a small piece of 3/8" plywood and slid it under the trunk floor liner - then screwed the front Basslink feet through the liner into the plywood with short screws - the unit doesn't move. I needed to stuff a small cloth between the basslink and the upper trunk liner to eliminate some vibrations caused by them touching. Search for some recent Basslink threads - I described how to remove the lower seat - maybe a month or so ago. Plus, some tips on the remote.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Advanced

Stumbled over my old post on removing the bottom seat cushion. There is a 10mm bolt between the bottom and top seat cushions, on the passenger side - roughly where you left hip is if you were sitting down on the seat. Make sure your socket and extension are very clean as they'll rub a bit against the cushions. After removing the bolt, there are two "pull levers" on the base of the bottom seat cushion facing the front - one on each side. Apply a bit of downward force to each side of the cushion then pull the lever.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:33 PM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mine is driver side facing trunk, i couldnt find the link for backseat removal either (weird)

the only REAL hard part about mounting it in the rear driver side area is you will only be able to get 3 screws in, to mount but that's plenty.

loc taping is pretty standard, also look for the lil hole that was in another thread that is right behind the firewall, makes sorting teh wires really easy and clean.

last of all dont disconnect your stock subs, instead just have both powered slightly down. you lose a bit of teh full sound you want in regular music if you have your stock sub pulled out. (however i 'm pretty sensitive to things like that so you may want to test out both)
Old 06-05-2008, 12:12 AM
Intermediate

Ok sounds good

Thnkas for all the great info Richard and aspec. I had a few more questions now.

If you cut a piece of plywood to go under the sub ( great idea) how wide is yours? I read the sub was very stable with the plywood and liner .

Did you screw in the plywood to the frame or anything. Maybe the plywood was wide enough to not move?

I did hear about the groment above the gas pedal in the square cut-out. That will definately help.

I was wondering how many pieces the backseat was in? I didn't know the cushions had bolts under them so that is great info too. I need to get to the sub and didn't want to tear the car up. I am worried about scratching my leather or something. G/f hates that. TL <--- NOT HERS.

I also wanted to put the remote in the slot near the VRS on/off button. I heard it can be shaved down in about 30 min to get it to fit nicley there. I am 6' 4" and I don't want to scape my leg on it if the remote dial was positioned under the driverdash/steering column.

Appreciate the assistance.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Deathner
Thnkas for all the great info Richard and aspec. I had a few more questions now. Added comments below.

If you cut a piece of plywood to go under the sub ( great idea) how wide is yours? I read the sub was very stable with the plywood and liner . The board was slightly wider than the Basslink's mounting feet, but you have to make a small angle cut on the back corner due to the contour of the back fender. I only have the front screws installed, through the floor liner into the plywood - nothing screwed into the floor of the trunk. Hasn't moved, in fact it didn't move for the week it wasn't attached to anything.

Did you screw in the plywood to the frame or anything. Maybe the plywood was wide enough to not move? See above

I did hear about the groment above the gas pedal in the square cut-out. That will definately help.

I was wondering how many pieces the backseat was in? I didn't know the cushions had bolts under them so that is great info too. I need to get to the sub and didn't want to tear the car up. I am worried about scratching my leather or something. G/f hates that. TL <--- NOT HERS. Getting the bottom cushion (one piece) out is fairly easy - make sure your hands and socket are clean. You don't have to remove the upper cushion - you can can snake the wire into the trunk once the bottom is removed - is a bit tedious.

I also wanted to put the remote in the slot near the VRS on/off button. I heard it can be shaved down in about 30 min to get it to fit nicley there. I am 6' 4" and I don't want to scape my leg on it if the remote dial was positioned under the driverdash/steering column. The remote looks and works great in that blank slot - easy reach from the dash. I have a taupe interior and bought a separate black blank as the taupe blank looked out of balance. You have to shave the remote circuit board to remove some excess on both sides - I used sheet metal sheers, but rugged scissors would probably work. Be careful not to cut any circuitry. You have to remove some plastic from the back side of the blank - you'll know what I mean once you see it.

Appreciate the assistance.
Richard "Dick" Weed