Bass Knob for Aftermarket Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 01:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bass Knob for Aftermarket Subwoofer

Hello everyone! I'm going to install an aftermarket subwoofer in my 08 TL base and I want control over the output of the subwoofer. I know I could add a bass knob but I noticed the stock radio has a control to increase/lower the subwoofer level and even has an option to turn it off. My question is now should I still get a bass knob that connects to the subwoofers amp or would the stock radio controls work just as well? I have a single Alpine Type R if that's any help. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2017, 04:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
Depends where you take the signal for the sub. If you use a LOC after the oem amp, you can use the oem sub control. If you take the signal pre oem amp, you would need an aftermarket bass knob. You can use the bass knob for either setup
Old 01-07-2017, 05:01 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sockr1
Depends where you take the signal for the sub. If you use a LOC after the oem amp, you can use the oem sub control. If you take the signal pre oem amp, you would need an aftermarket bass knob. You can use the bass knob for either setup
I'm not too familiar with car audio stuff so I'm not sure whether it's pre oem or after. I'm using a PAC 35 SNI LOC.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:07 PM
Safety Car

Wait so you already have it installed or are going to? If it's installed and you have a loc then you prob went post amp. Either way why don't you just try the oem control and see what happens?
Old 01-07-2017, 06:16 PM
Intermediate

Wait so you already have it installed or are going to? If it's installed and you have a loc then you prob went post amp. Either way why don't you just try the oem control and see what happens?
I'm going to get it installed in a couple weeks at a shop but I was hoping to get everything done in the get-go instead of paying a little more extra in case I need to go back to get a bass knob installed. But either way - thank you. If anything, I'll get it installed without the knob first and update you all!
Old 03-01-2017, 10:24 PM
Intermediate

I recently got my subs installed and the shop also installed the bass knob that came with the aftermarket amp. When the shop installed it, they used double-sided tape and put it on the side of the center console (near my right knee area when sitting in the car). However, the tape doesn't seem to stick quite well, and is usually on the ground every time I get inside the car. I really like the placement of it because its right near the radio volume controls. What would be better alternatives in terms of getting it to stick? I know that some places can remove the knob from the bass remote and install it on an empty panel to make it seem factory, but I'm afraid it might be really pricey. Any inputs?
Old 03-08-2017, 11:46 PM
Cold Business

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
I did mine myself. Used the extra switch location where fog light switch would be. Easy as shit.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Btw you can use the oem knob going pre or post oem amp.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:54 PM
10th Gear

What I did

Ok. So I took my car to an audio shop and installed this: 1 Kicker Solo Baric L7 12" in a ported box, 1 Hifonics Brutus Elite Super D class mono block 1200W amp WITH the bass knob, and all the wiring and they installed with a very clean look. Oh my god I can't explain the difference from the stock sub to the solo. It's insane loud and hits REALLY hard. I strongly recommend going with the bass knob. You will not regret it. Just keep the oem 8" in there. Never hurts to have it. Also for the bass knob they drilled tiny screws under the steering wheel off to the right. But man, the solo is loud and hits really hard.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:34 PM
Safety Car

^^ put up pics of your box setup and also location and look of bass knob!
Old 03-21-2017, 01:48 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I'd like to see the setup as well. Been contemplating on whether or not I should add the knob. I already have control through the stock head unit but wanted to know if the knob added more bass on top of the factory control.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:56 PM
Intermediate

Here's my setup. Not entirely sure if the knob adds extra bass on top of the stereo controls but it is definitely convenient when driving to have a dedicated control for the subwoofer. I do feel as if I have more accurate control over the bass compared to the stereo. The knob also has a blue LED so it perfectly matches the interior accents. I'm going to get it painted satin black and get some stickers made for labels. Special shoutout to sockr1 for answering all my questions and guiding me throughout this build! I plan on buying some Image Dynamics 6.5s for the front door speakers.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:46 PM
Safety Car

You're welcome buddy, it came out great!

I made a thread for my audio install if that helps you at all, link is below. Feel free to pm me anytime when you are preparing for the image dynamics install (for link for spacers, etc)

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-a...nk-sub-955600/
The following users liked this post:
gopeman (03-27-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 09:20 AM
Cold Business

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Remember to break in your subs . 40 hours.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:21 PM
Intermediate

You're welcome buddy, it came out great!

I made a thread for my audio install if that helps you at all, link is below. Feel free to pm me anytime when you are preparing for the image dynamics install (for link for spacers, etc)

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-a...nk-sub-955600/
Already looked through that when you posted it!
Originally Posted by SocomM4
Remember to break in your subs . 40 hours.
Yep, I got it installed a month ago and got it tuned a bit more just a few days ago. Thanks for the heads up though.