Auxillary Input or FM Modulator for MP3?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auxillary Input or FM Modulator for MP3?

Is it better to use a dedicated auxillary input like this or an FM modulator that plugs into the cars lighter or accessory? I've upgraded my audio system and don't want to lose any sound quality with my new (and soon to be upgraded) MP3 player.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:04 PM
#include

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Given the choice:

Music link > Aux input > FM modulator

The FM route works well, but you take a pretty large hit in the quality department.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:12 PM
Instructor

What type of quality hit? Static and poor reception due to being on an FM frequency, or something else?
Old 12-30-2006, 06:06 PM
#include

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same sort of thing as when you listen to the radio vs playing a cd/dvd-a. The cd/dvd-a sound crystal clear and very nice. Radio, including FM based inputs just don't sound as good.

I'm not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination, and to me the quality is night and day. Sort of like watching a VCR tape after having become accustomed to DVD.

Given that you care enough to have evidently dropped money on a better than standard sound system I suspect you would really notice.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:32 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
If you seek the best possible sound, there is simply no substitute for a direct wired solution. An FM modulator will always tend to have some background noise ( hiss and or static) and when you travel will be a royal PITA as you have to keep finding new channels to use. There are FM modulators that plug into the antenna input of the radio but why bother since there are many known direct wired solutions for the 05. Yes there are quirks in some of the adaptors but from a sound quality perspective they all easily eclipse that of an FM modulator. Heck, even the tape adaptors beat the FM mods. The only plus for the FM mod is it's easy to take into whatever car you might have (like if you travel and rent cars a lot)
Old 12-31-2006, 09:10 AM
Advanced

Just installed the USA Spec Hon2y cable and now have my iPOD and Sirius via the AUX connection. Going from the FM modulator to 'hard wired' makes a tremendous difference. I thought about the iLINK but passed based on feedback from this forum and the fact that I wanted Sirius input as well. I have a Canadian TL (no XM pre-wired) so the port was open (no unplugging ), and with the open port in the 'Y' connector that comes with the USA Spec I may look into a carputer or back up camera or DVD player...

BTW big thanks to Adobeman I have my DVD-A's going too

I might have to move into my TL
Old 12-31-2006, 09:11 AM
Instructor

It's looking like i'm going to go with a wired solution then, as i thought i would probably do. After doing all that work to upgrade my audio system, i didn't feel like taking anything apart in order to use the MP3 player in the car. But i guess i will.
Is the Blitzsafe unit the way to go, or is there a better alternative out there?
Old 01-02-2007, 01:32 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by newin96
Just installed the USA Spec Hon2y cable and now have my iPOD and Sirius via the AUX connection. Going from the FM modulator to 'hard wired' makes a tremendous difference. I thought about the iLINK but passed based on feedback from this forum and the fact that I wanted Sirius input as well. I have a Canadian TL (no XM pre-wired) so the port was open (no unplugging ), and with the open port in the 'Y' connector that comes with the USA Spec I may look into a carputer or back up camera or DVD player...

BTW big thanks to Adobeman I have my DVD-A's going too

I might have to move into my TL
Newin96,

I'm looking to make a direct connection to my 06 TL for a standard MP3 player as you described. Please give me details on this. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:40 PM
Advanced

I put together a word document summarizing the install of the USA Spec Hon2y with pictures (both my own and collected from this forum) as well as images from the service manual (also collected from this great forum).
But I can't seem to paste it into this response.
Having a Cdn TL I didn't have to remove the XM connector (apparently a difficult step ) so that part wasn't documented.
I'd be happy to email you it. PM me with an email and I'll send it.

I can share it with the forum as well, but need help on how to do it.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Start a new thread for it. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions. Do the best you can and I can clean it up for you.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:36 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by newin96
I put together a word document summarizing the install of the USA Spec Hon2y with pictures (both my own and collected from this forum) as well as images from the service manual (also collected from this great forum).
But I can't seem to paste it into this response.
Having a Cdn TL I didn't have to remove the XM connector (apparently a difficult step ) so that part wasn't documented.
I'd be happy to email you it. PM me with an email and I'll send it.

I can share it with the forum as well, but need help on how to do it.
Awesome! Thanks!
I Googled the name and found this on the web. Is this what you have?:
Product Name: USASpec PA11-HON2y 2003-Up Honda/Acura Audio input + Interface for iPod
Product ID: PA11-HON2y

Availability: In Stock
Manufacturer: USASpec
Sale Price $169.95 $143.98
(Savings: $25.97)
Old 01-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Advanced

Product ID: PA11-HON2y

That's the one. Some on this forum have experienced skipping with this set-up (do a search before you purchase to ensure that you're cool). I haven't experienced it though (not to say I won't in the future).
Hope this (and the pdf file) helps!
I've almost given up posting my write up until I get back to the city where I can have true high speed.
If anyone else would like the pdf I have, just PM me. I can provide as necessary in the meantime as a small payback for all the great help I've received from this forum.