Auto climate control/AC clarification

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 01:57 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto climate control/AC clarification

First, let me thank all of the posters on this board, I recently got an 07 TL w/Nav and the information I've gotten here both before and after purchase has been invaluable.

Now, my question in a nutshell: When the display reads neither "AC On" nor "AC Off", does this mean the auto climate control is on, even when "Auto" is not displayed (which in turn means that the AC will cycle on and off automatically)?

So, say I hit Auto. All indicators on the display turn off, just the temperature and "Auto" is displayed. Now, I turn the fan down a notch. The fan speed indicator is displayed, and "Auto" disappears. I am now in "semi-auto" mode, yes? Now I also switch the vents to a different config. The vent display appears. Still in semi-auto mode, with AC cycling on?

Another way of asking: Is the only time you are guaranteed AC off at all times when you hit the AC button and the display says "AC Off"?

Pretty long-winded and apologies if this has been answered, I've browsed many threads on climate control but haven't seen this exact question. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Welcome!
Now you've got me confused...
The A/C will be off if 1) you push the A/C button so it displays "A/C off" in the climate control display, or 2) you turn the climate control system to "off" and nothing shows in the climate control display.
If anything shows in the climate control display, the climate control is active. The climate control will adjust for whatever setting you have, but without the A/C compressor if the A/C is "off."
Old 03-02-2007, 03:07 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Y.
Welcome!
Now you've got me confused...
The A/C will be off if 1) you push the A/C button so it displays "A/C off" in the climate control display, or 2) you turn the climate control system to "off" and nothing shows in the climate control display.
If anything shows in the climate control display, the climate control is active. The climate control will adjust for whatever setting you have, but without the A/C compressor if the A/C is "off."
I am the confused one, maybe more so after I read my original post! Part of my problem is the fact that this is my first car with climate control. I'm used to a temp dial and a single A/C button. But I think you have clarified things for me. So...

- "Climate control", that is, the system trying to get the interior air temp to your selected temperature, is always active, unless the entire system is switched "Off".
- Regardless of "Auto", vent settings, and fan speed, A/C will be used unless A/C is explicitly turned "Off". Whew!