Audio/ Subwoofer Layouts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Audio/ Subwoofer Layouts?

I've been looking into upgrading the audio for my 05 TL and I am just trying to explore the ideas of how to have it set up. I'm just looking for ways to set it up physically (how it will look) and also the best way to wire it (I know that there are a million threads on this, but there are so many options I would like to just get a better idea of what is the best way to do it).

Thanks
Old 12-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
1. Most common is the usual subs in a box in the trunk facing backwards.

2. There's the vendor "Uncald4" that makes the side of the trunk single sub box that takes up little room and blends in.

3. Some do an 8" shallow sub in the stock location.

4. The one I'm running is a bandpass box that's ported through the armrest.

5. I've seen one freeair setup with 2-15" IDQs. Probably the best I've heard.

Each has it's advantages and disadvantages.

The free air requires virtually no trunk space and sounds awesome when done right. However it's very hard to properly seal the trunk off.

The 8" stock location won't have a lot of punch but it takes up no extra space. Rear deck rattles are a big issue.

Sealed/ported box in the trunk facing backwards will give great bass but again, rattles are an issue. It also takes up a lot of trunk space.

The side mount takes up little space. I've heard the box is not large enough for the usual woofers used but I have no personal experience and may be wrong. It will have the usual rattle issues.

The bandpass solves the rattle issue since there's no bass in the trunk. All bass comes through the opening. It can be tuned to be super efficient requiring little power for big sound. The SQ on mine is excellent and the output is amazing with very little power. Disadvantage is size.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I Hate Cars, thanks a lot. Great input as usual with the list of different options and even the advantages and disadvantages of each. Do you have any pictures of your set up or anything?
Old 12-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Infinity Reference tweeters in stock location. Infinity Reference 3.5 inch 2-way in the center (check the BM for someone who upgraded and is selling the other speaker from the pair). Infinity Reference 6.5 2 ways in the front doors (I still have to do this upgrade). 10" sub in a box LOC'ed off the stock sub (disconnected) and firing through the pass through. The sub gives the most bang for the buck, IMO.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
I took the old sub out, fixed the rattles in the rear deck, put 4 screws into the license plate and took the weights out of the trunk. This got rid of most of the rattles inside of the car unless I am up to nearly dangerous levels (750w + or so) with the sub woofer.

The stock locations for the midbass and tweeters are very effective for aftermarket components. I am happy with mine where they are.

I do not spend money on the rear deck mids. I just run them off of your deck for some fill from the rear and spend your money on better fronts.

In my 2006, I have a rear side box from an aftermarket shop running 1300W to a FI Q - the box appears strong enough and can handle the driver so far. I use focal K2 in the doors and for tweeters. I like the rear side box so much, I am going to do the same thing in my 2004, but I have focal utopias to use in the front. I would probably do a bandpass through the rear hole all other things considered, but I need the trunk space on a daily basis.

Infinity and Boston Acoustics make 3.5s that you can upgrade your center channel with. I bought the BA, but either appear adequate and work well with low wattage - neither are too terribly expensive. The suggestion above to find a second speaker from a member is a good one.