Audio install advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 03:37 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio install advice

Hello. Ive been looking around the forums havent quite found the answer to my problem.

I have a 2007 TL with nav and I am trying to upgrade the speakers/sub/and amp all around. I want to replace all speakers except for the center channel with aftermarkets, add a 5 channel amp for all the speakers and replace the 8" sub with a pioneer free air i found (i know it wont be as good bass but it will do for now). I intend to keep the factory head unit.

I do not have the time or space to do the install myself so I have been looking at professional options. I was quoted a seemingly high amount ($900) by car toys to do all the installs. Cartoys was quoting installation for things that I didnt think i needed. cant recall what they were saying but Ive installed amps/subs/speakers before on an accord and an explorer and there were parts they were wanting to add that i never used in that install.

they were also saying that i need to have the factory oem amp in there in order to utilize a new amp (i cant simply bypass the amp..something about digital and analog signals). So im really just hoping for some clarification from people who know more about TLs.

Id really like to know what exactly i would need to have installed for my project to be complete. Right now i have:
-component speakers for the front (the tweeters replace the in dash ones)
-8" free air sub
-whatever fits into the rear deck (6.5" full range or something)
-5 channel amplifier powering everything

Im also open to other suggestions if there are any.

thanks in advance for the help.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,160 Likes on 909 Posts
- don't go free air, it's a headache and just not worth it in the end. put a box in your trunk (you can keep lots of functional space still) or go IB. i've seen people buy a free air, see how much of a pain it is to install and then switch to a different setup.

- you can bypass the oem amp just fine...most do for aftermarket speakers

- i've had great luck doing the image dynamics ctx65cs components...minor door modifications and the sound is much better than anything you else you get for that price

- no need to upgrade the rear speakers. all they do is provide fill and you don't need to upgrade them unless they are shot.

- you can get away with a 3 channel if you want and put it under the driver's seat if you don't upgrade the rear speakers. people put the amp under the driver's seat and the crossovers under the passenger seat.

i would for sure add sound deadening to the doors and possibly the rear deck as a minimum. those two will increase your audio sound even without changing speakers. if you do decide to go free air...you REALLY need to sound deaden and foam up the rear deck because that thing will rattle like crazy.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:56 PM
3rd Gear

thanks for the tips. i have an old 12" alpine i can throw in the trunk till i get something fancier. Think ill still go with a 5 channel though just to completely bypass the factory amp. (The factory amp in there actually got damaged somehow and the speakers no longer work so ideally id just pull the whole thing out.)

So what your saying is I can go buy an amp and components for the front, that is all I will need to get installed? the installation techs kind of confused me when they were saying i needed to still use the old amp as well as the new.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
you can see my build here.

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...-fever-854353/

they do not know what they are talking about, find another installer

keep rear fill speakers and center channel on OEM amp. take low level signal from HU to new amp
Old 04-03-2016, 03:48 PM
3rd Gear

thats just what im looking for. thanks for the link