Audio Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 12:07 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio Advice Needed

First off let me start off by saying I'm not very experienced in terms of perfecting audio. So if my write up sounds crappy don't hold it against me. So I'm interested in making my system sound top notch without spending a ton of money, I'd say as is right now it sounds decent just not the best because of the very limited tuning the base EQ offers. My current set up as is-
Fronts- Polk Audio DB5251-components, 100w rms/250w peak
Rears- Polk Audio DB65- 165w rms
Center channel(which I think just processes voice commands not audio)- Kicker Dsc35 80w peak
Subs in trunk- JL 12WOv3's 300w rms (both subs powered by a JL JX500/1D 500w amp)

My problem that stands currently is my base sounds decent but my highs and mids sound average at best and I believe it's either 1, I didn't replace the stock amp and am using that to power my new setup so not providing enough power to the new speakers or possibly 2, just using the stock headunit EQ and the very limited tuning on the amp could be hindering my audio output. The amp offers only filter freq. and bass boost. So I'm very curious at what options may help produce a better sound, I've considered either purchasing an aftermarket 7-band EQ to help with tuning, or getting a new 4 channel amp to feed the front/rear deck speakers and losing center/sub channel, like I said my audio knowledge is limited I've tried researching throughout other threads on how to make the sound better but was unable to find something to pinpoint my problem, wether it be new amp/signal processors wichever I just don't know the best route to take while working with a budget. If anyone could give me any insight on achieving a better sound output it would be very very appreciated please let me know any solutions I hope I'm not asking to much.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:43 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Moistarm,

You are more than half the way there. Just upgrading the speakers is not going to give you the sound you are seeking. Your speakers as definitely under powered. The stock HU pre-amp signal is flat which is what you want. I left my rear speakers stock (rear fill only) and the center channel stock, utilizing the stock amplifier. I added a amplifier for a 12" sub-woofer and a -4- channel amplifier for the front speakers which I'm running in bridged (double the power). I'm sure others will chime in and offer their recommendations. At this point, I would recommend you focus on purchasing a -4- channel amplifier, after which, you can decide if you want to only power the fronts, or both fronts/rears. That alone would improve your sound significantly. Good luck and you are alot closer to where you want to be than you think.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:17 PM
6th Gear

Wlbolton,

Great thank you for the input I thought that should be my next step but a little reassurance never hurt, so what are your thoughts on the JL 300/4 v2 slash series amp. And also so you have the monoblock for your sub, and the 4 channel for your fronts and left the stock amp powering the center channel? Or no center at all.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:41 PM
Advanced

Moistarm,

JL amplifiers is solid equipment with quite a few guys on the forum using them. I don't think you can go wrong opting to use JL. The below set-up is utilizing the stock HU picking the front and sub-woofer signal pre-amp. The rears and center channel remains on the stock amplifier. I still have my center channel. The one thing I failed to mentioned in the earlier post, is the stock HU has extremely low output. You will notice in the below set-up, I have added the Audio Control Matrix (white piece of equipment) that boast the flat signal output from the HU to the amplifiers. I am using the Precision Power 1000.1 for the sub-woofer and a Precision Power 900.4 for the fronts running in bridge mode. Please don't feel you have to incorporate the Matrix in your set-up. My decision was based on ALOT of research. After listening to the sound with and without the Matrix, it was clearly a much needed piece of equipment to complete my installation. It allowed me to keep the amp gains low with increase sound output.

Name:  DSC_0511.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  158.0 KB
The following users liked this post:
moistarm (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 11:46 PM
Advanced

Image Dynamics 12" IDMax (IB Set-up)

Name:  DSC_0511.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  158.0 KB

I have beauty board with cutouts for the -2- amplifiers and the Matrix. Just don't have any pictures.
The following users liked this post:
moistarm (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 11:48 PM
6th Gear

Wlbolton,

That is such a clean set up, way out of my knowledge league, wouldn't have the slightest clue how to wire up the audio matrix, I get the purpose of it though, thank you so much for your advice man, I am deffinetely jelous of the set up I'm sure the sound is outstanding. But how do you deal with the power demand do you have capacitors installed? And one more question although It may be obvious but do you have your subs pointed in to the car?
Old 04-13-2016, 12:18 AM
Advanced

Moistarm,

The sub-woofer is forward facing meaning the sound is directed into the vehicle instead of the trunk. I don't listen to bass heavy music, therefore I don't use Caps and have not noticed a strain on the electrical system. There is a wealth of knowledge on this site, and I'm sure others will chime in with recommendations. Continue to ask questions when in doubt. There were some killer installs done long before I started this journey.