Attention Motorola Q Users...Upgrade your Phone Software!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 03:36 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attention Motorola Q Users...Upgrade your Phone Software!!!

For those of you that have a Motrola Q, you probably have been frustrated with the compatibility of the HFL. During an incoming call, it would drop for a second and then pick it up a few seconds later. The signal strength did not display in the MID.

I just installed the upgrade from Motorola, and all of those issues are gone! Keep in mind, that you are essentially doing a complete reset of your device, so you will need to back everything up and then restore it after the update, but I am very pleased with the performance of the device and the compatibility with the HFL

Here is the link to download the update:

http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/support/update/

Just select Verizon as your carrier, and the Q as your phone, and it will give you the link to download the update.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did the upgrade and still get the weird drop, pickup behavior on the first call. The signal and battery strength both read now.

Also be warned the upgrade can have undocumented side effects. I had to take my phone to Verizon because, SOMEHOW, my phone went totally nuts and lost all of its identity/NAM select settings after it successfully upgraded. All it would do is roam the Alltel network so I couldn't *228 or *22800 it to program its info. The guys at the store were like "WOW, we've never seen a Q do that!" Thirty minutes later, they had it reprogrammed and all was well.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:32 PM
jz

I also did the update and the Q is much more compatible with HFL.

I ran into trouble with getting my exchange server to work again after the update. If anyone has trouble with getting their root certificate installed I can give a step by step.

JZ
Old 09-05-2006, 11:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jastor3759
I did the upgrade and still get the weird drop, pickup behavior on the first call. The signal and battery strength both read now.

Also be warned the upgrade can have undocumented side effects. I had to take my phone to Verizon because, SOMEHOW, my phone went totally nuts and lost all of its identity/NAM select settings after it successfully upgraded. All it would do is roam the Alltel network so I couldn't *228 or *22800 it to program its info. The guys at the store were like "WOW, we've never seen a Q do that!" Thirty minutes later, they had it reprogrammed and all was well.
Maybe that is some wierd Alltel issue, but the update has been working great for Verizon.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:34 AM
klh
9th Gear

Verizon - Q upgrade results

I applied the Moto software update yesterday.

After the pain of having to reinstall all apps, etc. I can report only minimal improvement in my TL.

I now have both battery and signal strength displayed but still have the weird issue where you can place a call via HFL, then have it appear to drop, hit button and say "transfer" then it's OK. Acura is a 2005 TL.

For those of you on Verizon, has anyone seen this behavior disppear after the upgrade so the phone works like it should? If so, do you have any tricks (multiple attempts to find/pair, etc.) to offer the rest of us?
Old 09-17-2006, 06:43 PM
Advanced

I have a 2006 TL and really like the motorola Q, but if its not going to work well with the TL i might just go with the chocolate.

Has anyone had NO problems setting up the HFL with the motorola Q?
Old 09-17-2006, 09:10 PM
Instructor

The Q works perfectly once you upgrade your software...if you are buying a new one chances are that it will already have the software update installed on it when you receive it.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:42 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by noah82
The Q works perfectly once you upgrade your software...if you are buying a new one chances are that it will already have the software update installed on it when you receive it.
thanks noah...yea i told my buddy to upgrade his q and i paired it with my tl. works great! now the only thing, is to find a good deal on one.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:00 PM
Instructor

For a smartphone, it is pretty reasonably priced. If you qualify for the new every 2 program, you can get one for $199. If not, it shouldn't be too much more to grab one on ebay.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:09 PM
klh
9th Gear

Still seeing some issues (Moto Q and 2005 TL)

I agree the Q is a good phone and have recommended it to others. I've even had good luck/performance from my Q after applying the software upgrade.

BUT ... I am still having problems pairing my Q with my 2005 TL. I've paired and re-paired it, a total of three different times. The car paired easily - and reliably - with an earlier Motorola phone (v710) but still has quirks with the Q. I'm attributing this to the Q's HFL Bluetooth implementation still being a bit flakey.

I'd love to hear tips on successful pairing the Q with HFL in the TL from those who've had really good results. Based on my experiences, I'll just close with that familiar warning ... note: your mileage may vary.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:14 PM
05 NHB Ebony

Unhappy

Originally Posted by klh
I applied the Moto software update yesterday.

After the pain of having to reinstall all apps, etc. I can report only minimal improvement in my TL.

I now have both battery and signal strength displayed but still have the weird issue where you can place a call via HFL, then have it appear to drop, hit button and say "transfer" then it's OK. Acura is a 2005 TL.

For those of you on Verizon, has anyone seen this behavior disppear after the upgrade so the phone works like it should? If so, do you have any tricks (multiple attempts to find/pair, etc.) to offer the rest of us?
Having the exact same issue as you describe.. on my Second Q with Verizon and no difference...
Old 11-20-2006, 01:27 AM
book it

For some reason, in my 05 TL, I cannot get my Q to link up correctly. When linking the HFL and the Q, it says it recognizes each other, but then once I go to place a call as a test, it says that no phone have been synced with the HFL system. Any advice?
Old 11-21-2006, 06:48 AM
klh
9th Gear

One tip ...

Originally Posted by tyler m
For some reason, in my 05 TL, I cannot get my Q to link up correctly. When linking the HFL and the Q, it says it recognizes each other, but then once I go to place a call as a test, it says that no phone have been synced with the HFL system. Any advice?
I'll pass on the one tip that made my Q usable from my TL's HF Link ... it came from another user on this forum, but I don't remember who so cannot quote/attribute credit where due....

Once you place your call from the steering wheel's HF buttons, and the Q/TL has apparently decided to drop it for you, hit the top button again and give the command "Transfer." For me, that seems to pull it back from the Q to the TL and allows me to complete the call hands-free. Subsequent calls (in close proximity to that first one) sometimes go through without needing to transfer back from the Q to the TL. It's not perfect, but it does work for me. Hope it will for you, as well.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:38 PM
Cruisin'

This is a know issue with the Motorola Q. Interestingly the Q and the RL, or any other Acura, worked perfectly before Moto "upgraded" (Degraded) their firmware from version 1. As a matter of fact I am sending my Q back to Motorola to have them put back that firmware version. We can't do that because user installed firmware can only be *upgraded* we can't go down a version.

Motorola is working on a fix but don't hold your breath.

KAPS
Old 01-04-2007, 09:32 PM
klh
9th Gear

Originally Posted by kaps
This is a know issue with the Motorola Q. Interestingly the Q and the RL, or any other Acura, worked perfectly before Moto "upgraded" (Degraded) their firmware from version 1. As a matter of fact I am sending my Q back to Motorola to have them put back that firmware version. We can't do that because user installed firmware can only be *upgraded* we can't go down a version.

Motorola is working on a fix but don't hold your breath.

KAPS
Motorola has put out a second firmware upgrade for the Q, released around the third week of Dec.2006. I can't cite the release version, but believe it's called "MOL2." For those of you who might be wondering if it helps the problems with the Q and Acura's HFL, it did not improve things with my '05 TL. I still need to go through the "Transfer" process to pull a call initiated through the HFL back to the car's system. I don't have problems with other Bluetooth accessories, so I still suspect bad mojo between the Acura's HFL and the Q's firmware.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:17 PM
10th Gear

I recently got the Sprint Moto Q and I paired it with my 06 TL and it works fine. Signal strength, battery life, outgoing and incoming calls all work fine.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tyler m
I am having the same problem. Does anyone have some advice?
Old 03-23-2007, 05:11 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For what it's worth, I have an 06 TL with Navi, a one month old Black Q from Verizon, and it links up perfectly, with full functionality including battery and signal displays.

One note: even though the car manual and the voice guided instructions imply that you have to put the phone in discovery mode and then the car will find it, it's really the other way around. You add the car to the phone's hands-free device list just like how you'd add a bluetooth headset. Navigate on your phone to the Bluetooth Manager, then instruct your car to start searching for a phone, then hit Connect on the phone and you should find it.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just got the Q last week. The phone syncs up fine with the car, displays all information, but it is not as loud as my Motorola V710 was. I really have to turn the volume up to hear someone. Is there a way to increase the output volume from the Q? I tried to see if it was tied to the headset output, but it is maxed out and does not help.

Thank you, Jason
Old 04-03-2007, 12:08 PM
Instructor

When you are on a call on your HFL system, turn the jog dial up on the right side of the phone. This should increase the headset volume.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Instructor

Ok, after posting I just realized that you tried what I just told you to do, so forget about what I said!
Old 04-24-2007, 10:28 AM
Cruisin'

I am having the same issue as others with the Q. When placing a call from my 06TL the phone dials then disconnects from the car. If I say transfer it comes back. I upgraded the phone to the newest version form Motorola and the problem still exists. The phone is on Verizon and is only 3 days old. Any advice?? I had a Blackberry as my last phone and it worked great with the TL.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Back in the saddle..again

Here's a weird one. Got my moto Q to pair perfectly (Sprint got it 2 weeks ago). No need to hit the transfer button. I was having problems getting active sync to work with my email. Finally got that to work with active sync 4.5. I had to re-pair my phone with hf link because I had to do a master reset on the Q. Now I have to say transfer as the hf link drops the connection when dialing the number. Will the update for verizon work with the sprint phones and what version is the latest for the Q?
Old 07-07-2007, 08:59 AM
9th Gear

I had this same problem with the Q and contacted HFL about it.

The customer service rep knew of the problem and said it was due to a setting in Active Sync. I changed it per his instructions and it has worked perfectly ever since.

Here is what to do:

1. Go to Active Sync.
2. Select Menu, then select schedule.
3. Change the Sync time to anything other than "As Items Arrive".

This does eliminate immediate push email but I set mine to 5 minutes and it is fine for my use.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dmn8
I had this same problem with the Q and contacted HFL about it.

The customer service rep knew of the problem and said it was due to a setting in Active Sync. I changed it per his instructions and it has worked perfectly ever since.

Here is what to do:

1. Go to Active Sync.
2. Select Menu, then select schedule.
3. Change the Sync time to anything other than "As Items Arrive".

This does eliminate immediate push email but I set mine to 5 minutes and it is fine for my use.
dmn8: Thanks for this post - I had the same first call drop problem on a 9 month old Q and this solved it perfectly.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a question specifically around your comment regarding not having to say Transfer. I presently have a Q and I'm also on Sprint and when I initiate a call from my phone I have to say transfer in order for my call to come over the HFL. Any help would be appreciated if you know a way that I can get the call to transfer automatically.

Originally Posted by revo
Here's a weird one. Got my moto Q to pair perfectly (Sprint got it 2
weeks ago). No need to hit the transfer button. I was having problems getting active sync to work with my email. Finally got that to work with active sync 4.5. I had to re-pair my phone with hf link because I had to do a master reset on the Q. Now I have to say transfer as the hf link drops the connection when dialing the number. Will the update for verizon work with the sprint phones and what version is the latest for the Q?
Old 07-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Back in the saddle..again

well it gets even stranger. First it worked properly then it started to drop the calls and I had to say transfer and now sometimes I have to say transfer ther times it works fine. I am doing some testing and will let you know what I find.