Anyone regret getting or not getting nav?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 07:16 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone regret getting or not getting nav?

I'm going to lease a TL within the next week or so and I'm deciding on navi or non navi. I'm wondering if anyone has gotten the navi and regretted it for either not using it, not finding it helpful, or any other reasons. Or, if anyone got the non-navi and regretted not getting it and wishing they had gotten it.

Thanks for any responses
Old 05-03-2005, 07:39 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
there are MANY threads on this...and all of them come to a decision that the NAVI is the best way to go.....normally in a car navi would be based on if u are retarded with directions...but the navigation adds a whole new level to the TL....if you get a non-navi i can promise you, that u will be unhappy and because it looks ugly without the navigation and it adds more features such as voice activation and touch screen radio and touchscreen other things....trust me when i say it...its worth the extra few bucks per month for the navi...
Old 05-03-2005, 07:46 PM
Royal Flush

Mapquest > navigation system

Navigation system's cost > Mapquest

There is my logic. Don't regret not spending 3k for one instance.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:47 PM
Cruisin'

I have to agree. Although I have only had my car a short while, I am already very glad I sprung for the navi system. I mainly use the car for commuting, so the actual navigation aspect is basically useless to me on a day to day basis. Still, the aesthetic appeal of the dash is so much greater, and the other functionality it adds in terms of audio controls etc, still makes it worth it to me.

Good luck with your decision. As long as it's an informed one, I'm sure you will be happy in the end.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It costs 2k, and I would say its definatly worth it, for all the reasons listed, AND its freeking great to show off. I mean, think about it, you got a little TV in the front of your car that is showing you exactly where you are and how to get where you are going. It beats mapquest because it componsates if you have to take a detour, Plus its safer because it tells you what to do, you dont need to look for papers. And even if you have to look, you dont have to fumble around. Most people who act like they think navi is a waste of money, realize they just made a mistake. Whether or not you actually need it you will find it very useful and I can guarantee you will use it at least once. Beats going online, printing stuff out. etc. You only live so long, may as well make the most of it by saving time and going with a navi(ok, ok, I am trying really hard). Its better to realize you have no use for it then, you have a need for it. Plus voice activasion is pretty cool along with solar sensing climate control. Have fun with your Navi!!
Old 05-03-2005, 08:25 PM
Banned

I don't have navi. I was given a navi TL as a loaner once. Played around with it. It's cool but I soon realized, that for me, navi would just be a toy that would be cool for a little while but would more or less just sit there unused. But that's me.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:33 PM
Troublemaker

i have the navi and use it alot. But then again i drive friends around and we just go driving out to nowhere. Of course when we just drive as far as we can we get lost all the time but then i can just push a button and find where we are. Navi looks a lot better, with another $500 u can watch DVD movies too. Im really glad i got the navi

i just noticed that your 17. Yeah thats when i got my TL too. Are you getting stick or auto? The TL is pretty sweet, only drawback is the FWD and loss of steering control in hard corners. Depends on your driving style too. I have a SSM/Quartz 5sp with navi. Its great. Sometimes i sorta wish i got a g35 coupe, but maybe thats only because the novelty of the TL wore off and it would have been vice versa if i got the G35coupe.

My friend has a 04 Mustang Cobra that is pretty sick. He has it up to about 430 hp now, and its able to beat V8 ferraris straight line. I used to wish i had got that, but the cobra is pretty much just an engine and some stiff suspension and stiff tires. Everything around the core stuff will start falling apart after awhile.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:45 PM
CJB
Intermediate

Though I've only had my TL 3 weeks, I don't regret not getting the Navi.
I don't travel much and when I do theres always the online map sites.I'd rather get the a-spec suspension and some other things that are more important to me at this time.
Technology is moving so fast today,I have to wonder if it would be obsolete before long.
CJB
Old 05-03-2005, 08:50 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I'm one of those people who seldom needs directions. I could give you directions from DC to Newfoundland with minimal thought. But I got the Navi and have never regretted it because I also have the 6MT and I commute to downtown DC every day. Being able to voice-operate the radio and climate control is a wonderful feature because it allows me to fiddle with the thing while also watching the idiots driving in front of me who are trying to cut me off, and the navigation aspect of the Navi has paid off on road trips when I was running low on gas and I asked the Navi to find a gas station. (While many states post signs indicating what's available at the next exit, using the Navi proved better in my experience.) The Navi has also worked well when I knew how to get to a CITY but not to a particular destination. A trip to Atlantic City last September is a good example--getting to Atlantic City in general is easy, but Ms1995hoo wanted to go to the Taj Mahal and I didn't know where it was. It's easier just to let the car guide you than to watch for signs in an area already jammed up with tourists.

Regarding the question whether it's worth the extra $2,000 for something you may or may not use, perhaps I'm jaded in that I view $2,000 as not being very much money, but it seems to me that if you are going to spend over $30,000 on a car, an extra $2,000 is most likely insignificant to you.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:51 PM
6MT & LSD

i didn't get the navi.

but i was originally going to get a tsx 6mt w/ navi, which i couldn't find... the navi would been a cool factor, rather than a necessity. my dad has navi in his car, which comes in very useful at times.

navi screen can also be changed to play dvd's.

i have no regrets, however, since im going to be using my dell axim x50v as a navi.

extra cost to use the axim has navi: $200 for bluetooth GPS unit & map, $50-75 on mount/carcharger.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:52 PM
Advanced

obsolete? How long are you planning on keeping the car?

It all comes down to how many new places you go and how often you go to them. If you only drive to work and home, then you are good without it, but if you like to check out new restaurants or travel a lot then navi is a must.

Its only $3K...drop the money...its worth it.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:57 PM
Troublemaker

Last weekend i went to a rangers game (i go like once a year) and i didn't know how to get to the BP in arlington but the navi came in handy and got me there very nicely. Ive also used the Navi to meet people at restaurants and find out how to get to peopl'e houses that i hadnt gone to before (or forgotten how to get there).

Yes the Navi might become obsolete, but you can say that about the car too...
Old 05-03-2005, 09:05 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Though I know my daily commute route well enough to do it with my eyes closed (just kidding), I have used my navi to get me out of traffic jams. Last week, there was a big backup on my normal route so, while sitting stuck in town, I scrolled around the map to see if the street at the next turn could get me to my destination. Nope, it was a feeder into a residential area with no outlet, but there was no sign indicating that. I saw a lot of frustrated drivers bail out of the stopped line of cars and take their chance on that street. I'm glad I was able to see that only the street another four blocks farther was going to allow me to make the detour I needed. Now, if only it could do what the RL does with the traffic info.

I use the voice control all the time for the XM radio as there aren't enough presets for my tastes. I can just say the channel numbers without taking my hands off the wheel or my eyes off the road. And being about to say, "Find nearest ATM" has come in handy a few times when I'm in an unfamiliar part of town.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:10 PM
Instructor

Only you can answer this question. How long have you lived in your area? How often do you get lost, and if you do how pissed to you get? How often do you go to a new area?

I have nav and I think it is nice to have. Not sure if it is worth $2k+ though.

For me, the voice commands are kind of gimmicky. I used them for the first week, until I discoved it is a lot easier to just press the "auto" button for the climate control rather than press a steering wheel button, say "climate control automatic", hear that repeated back to you, then wait another couple of seconds for it to turn on the climate control. Just hit the buttons it is way faster.

I guess it's cool if someone rides in your car, but since pretty much nobody rides with me that also is a non-issue.

If you want it get it, if you don't, don't. Simple.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:51 PM
Cruisin'

I've only had my TL a month, and I bought the Navi. I wasn't gonna get it originally, but after reading MANY posts on here before buying the car, and after seeing pics of the dash w/out navi, I decided I had to have it. I absolutely love it. Did I need it? Of course not. Am I glad I bought it, absolutely. Plus I have two little kids that think I'm the coolest Dad around for having it, and want to bring their friends in my car on field trips just to show it off...ahhaha
Old 05-03-2005, 10:09 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by rrjc5488
I'm going to lease a TL within the next week or so and I'm deciding on navi or non navi. I'm wondering if anyone has gotten the navi and regretted it for either not using it, not finding it helpful, or any other reasons. Or, if anyone got the non-navi and regretted not getting it and wishing they had gotten it.

Thanks for any responses
Forget the functionality. While the nav is useful and a great toy, it's not necessary from a functional standpoint.

BUT....

It's 100% a necessary must-have as the lack of the nav transforms the dash of the TL from a work of art to an afterbirth.

The entire dash structure, the entire control layout, the radio, the clock.....all of it is designed entirely around the navigation screen. With it in place, all is well and balanced. With it gone, its a gaping headwound.

Bottom line: You might as well buy a Maxima if you skip the nav.

BJ
Old 05-03-2005, 10:46 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Better name for Navi might be Information/Entertainment System with Voice Activation. I don't have it in my MDX and wish I did; have it in the TL and find it to be worth every penny.
I know how to get close to just about everything in the area and exactly how to get to almost nothing.

Actual cost may be $1200-1500 after slightly higher trade-in or residual.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:15 PM
Intermediate

I got the navi and don't regret it at all.

One nice feature of the navi vs. online maps is the ability to re-route instantly in case you get lost or want to try an alternate route. Plus you don't have to constantly look at a piece of paper to figure out your next step.

The ability to look up phone numbers and send them to your bluetooth phone is nice too.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:49 PM
Suzuka Master

I am sure its 2k. I dont know where you are pulling 3k from. 33,100 to 35,100. If you are paying that much for a car you may as well get the Navi. Its 2k more on top of a lot of money anyway. Navigation is the highlight of this cars electronic technology, if it didnt have it I guarantee sales would be quite lower on the TL. If the TL didnt offer nav I wouldnt think twice about looking at other cars.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Racer

even if that navi had no purpose at all.. the girls love it..
Old 05-04-2005, 05:27 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by boltjames
Forget the functionality. While the nav is useful and a great toy, it's not necessary from a functional standpoint.

BUT....

It's 100% a necessary must-have as the lack of the nav transforms the dash of the TL from a work of art to an afterbirth.

The entire dash structure, the entire control layout, the radio, the clock.....all of it is designed entirely around the navigation screen. With it in place, all is well and balanced. With it gone, its a gaping headwound.

Bottom line: You might as well buy a Maxima if you skip the nav.

BJ
BJ - I really think you need to spend some time in Ramblings. Your opinionated, self-serving and dry sense of humor will blend in well there Be warned, though. Once you enter, you may find it difficult to leave.

The question of price difference is a bit loaded. True, the sticker price difference between Navi and Non-Navi is only $2k, the actual negotiated price of the car can easily differ by $3k or more. At least that was the case March '04 in SoCal.

As for the Navi, let me take a few swings at this dead horse. The appearance of the dash with or without the Navi is not as big of a deal as some people make it out to be. However, if you have a wife, girl friend or significant other who might, as some point in time do any of the following: 1. ask if you know where you are going 2. state you are lost 3. suggest you ask for directions. I strongly suggest you purchase the Navi. That is the main reason I regret no purchasing the Navi.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:15 PM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cornelius
even if that navi had no purpose at all.. the girls love it..
true dat! touchscreen = pimp.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:53 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by moeronn
BJ -

As for the Navi, let me take a few swings at this dead horse. The appearance of the dash with or without the Navi is not as big of a deal as some people make it out to be. However, if you have a wife, girl friend or significant other who might, as some point in time do any of the following: 1. ask if you know where you are going 2. state you are lost 3. suggest you ask for directions. I strongly suggest you purchase the Navi. That is the main reason I regret no purchasing the Navi.
Amen

This is reason #1 and a showstopper all by itself. This should be the end of the debate. :gheywave: :surrender

Today I'm driving a non-navi loaner while mine is in getting the flatline temp fixed. I miss everything the navi does and the dashboard does look unfinished.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:19 PM
Racer

If you are giving question to an additional 2 grand, on a 35k car, you may as well buy an accord.

For how great the Acura nav is, it is worth whatever they want to charge.

The Toyota system OTOH, sucks. You won't realize how great Honda's nav is until you've tried to use that piece of sucktasticness (like in our highlander)
Old 05-04-2005, 07:27 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg-ster
If you are giving question to an additional 2 grand, on a 35k car, you may as well buy an accord.

For how great the Acura nav is, it is worth whatever they want to charge.

The Toyota system OTOH, sucks. You won't realize how great Honda's nav is until you've tried to use that piece of sucktasticness (like in our highlander)
You're so right. The Navi is the only good think about the TL. I mean, if the TL's Navi system was available on a Camry, I would totally get one of those over a TL without Navi.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:42 PM
Advanced

I wasn't sold on the Navi...but my dealer doesn't stock any without it, so I was forced to either wait and order a car or purchase the TL with Navi.

I am so glad I got the Navi...I can't even tell you how much I enjoy it. No more mapquest...no more driving around looking for ATM's....Finding restaurants are simple...Is the freeway onramp on the left or right, it will tell you....
Old 05-04-2005, 08:08 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by Fast Lavey
I am so glad I got the Navi...I can't even tell you how much I enjoy it. No more mapquest...no more driving around looking for ATM's....Finding restaurants are simple...Is the freeway onramp on the left or right, it will tell you....

Using the hidden "display spa" and "find prostitute" commands makes this worth a 'ell of a lot more than $2k

After doing the obligatory "find fast food" command to impress your friends, immediately hit the button and speak "eject passenger". Works every time.

BJ
Old 05-04-2005, 08:10 PM
Pro

Get the navi,
The first road trip I was on there was a bad accident and the road was backed up for 15 miles. I zoomed out on the navi and found a parallel road and hit that and got me past the wreck and saved me a couple of hours sitting in trafic. Well worth the money for the couple of times I have used it in instances like that. Not to mention I think the navi dash board looks alot better than the non navi. Acura could have done a better job on the non navi dash. Especially that stupid clock.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:32 PM
5th Gear

Navi is a must have item in the TL!

Since you are going to lease it, you really don't pay $2000 for it. Go for it!!! You'll not kick yourself later.

Good Luck
Old 05-04-2005, 09:33 PM
Advanced

my navi helped me trade my 2001 tl in. Dealer said for class of used car it kickes it up a notch and is a selling point for a person who under normal circumstances couldnt afford a nav system
Old 05-04-2005, 09:46 PM
Advanced

Get The Navi.... I Have A Wdp/navi Loaner And Im So Upset That My Car Doesn't Have The Navi...........i Don't Want To Give Up The Loaner Car B/c Of It.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:04 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Talking Eh, it's a toss up

I've had my TL for around 1500 miles and to be honest, I was pretty thrilled when I first got it, but now... it's kind of a gadget. I don't use the nav that often but the voice recognition is pretty nice to have and very cool. As a previous poster just put it, it's cool to show off. So the bottom line for me is this, practical? Not really. Cool? Very. Necessary? No. Worth the extra money?...... Heck Yeah!!! What are ya crazy? Of course it was worth it! I mean let's be honest here, if you want practical, buy a Camary . You want comfortable, but a pillow barge . You want the TL because it's COOL and FUN and not because it's practical or necessary. I mean how necessary is a $35k car anyways right?

Really, it's up to you. I think that the dash looks great with it, the interface for the stereo is shnazy, my hacked startup picture is the shiznit, etc. If cool and fun is worth the extra $2k or whatever, go for it. If the extra is going to make you regret paying so much for the car, then the heck with it, you can live without it.

Personally I would also spend the extra $1k (what I paid installed) for the lower spoiler kit. It really helps the look fo the car.