Anyone getting this weird Navi message?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 05:32 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone getting this weird Navi message?

I did a search for this and found a reference to it a while back but didn't see any solutions or advice posted, anyway sometimes when I've mapped out a route with the navi and ignore the directions on the screen, instead of recalculating a new route all of a sudden I get the following error in block letters: "NO ALTERNATE ROUTE FOUND, ORIGINAL ROUTE WILL BE GUIDED" or something to that effect, at which point the route disappears, along with all route guidance (voice, direction list), just as if I had gone to "menu" and manually cancelled the route

What's really weird is that it happens in areas that are fully mapped (today was in downtown Miami), and when I input the same destination again immediately after the error the navi finds the destination and maps out a route as if the error had never happened

Anyone have this or know what causes it?
Old 12-08-2005, 05:39 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

I thought that error meant that you drove off course and it recalculated the trip, but if it couldn't find an alternate route, it just wanted you to stay the original course.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
I thought that error meant that you drove off course and it recalculated the trip, but if it couldn't find an alternate route, it just wanted you to stay the original course.
Yeah if all it did was make me stick to the original route I wouldn't care (although that would be weird anyway since the area is mapped and it should simply recalculate the route), but what's annoying is that it cancels the navigation altogether
Old 12-08-2005, 06:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Seen it the first day I got my car because I took another route because I didn't like the route it gave me. When that the message popped up, and the routing ended, I was like WTF?

???
Old 12-09-2005, 02:36 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

In all honesty if you know a better route to your destination than the navigation was providing, why use it?

It's not really intended to guide you around a place you already know, it's for places you are unfamiliar with. If you use it to guide you around places you already know, you're likely to find conflict with it every single time. But if you use it to get out of unfamiliar areas, it's a life-saver.

That, or it just has a bad attitude.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:18 AM
Burning Brakes

In all honesty if you know a better route to your destination than the navigation was providing, why use it?

It's not really intended to guide you around a place you already know, it's for places you are unfamiliar with. If you use it to guide you around places you already know, you're likely to find conflict with it every single time. But if you use it to get out of unfamiliar areas, it's a life-saver.

No you're right. There is not much point to using it if you know your way around. It was my first or second day with the car, so I was just playing.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:47 AM
Instructor

Simple, I didn't know a better route, on this occasion I was using it to go to a destination 100 miles away that I had never been to before and the error message came when I ignored the navi's instructions on which entrance to take to the highway, it told me to go straight but I knew that there was an easier way to get to the highway by making a right turn
Old 12-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I got that message for the first time about a week ago (after about 6 months ownership). I was going to a destination in a well mapped area as well (Weehawken NJ right accross from Manhattan - literally on the Hudson River) and decided I didn't like the route shown and usually the Navi would just recalculate after I didn't follow it's directions. But no, it gave up despite I obviously was still on a known (the Navi knew what road it was before it stopped) road in-as-much as about a quarter of a mile forward I restarted the Navi to the same destination in Manhattan and it knew where I should go. WTF? If I had been in an area that I didn't know I'd have been pissed.

Dumont
Old 12-09-2005, 04:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dumont
I got that message for the first time about a week ago (after about 6 months ownership). I was going to a destination in a well mapped area as well (Weehawken NJ right accross from Manhattan - literally on the Hudson River) and decided I didn't like the route shown and usually the Navi would just recalculate after I didn't follow it's directions. But no, it gave up despite I obviously was still on a known (the Navi knew what road it was before it stopped) road in-as-much as about a quarter of a mile forward I restarted the Navi to the same destination in Manhattan and it knew where I should go. WTF? If I had been in an area that I didn't know I'd have been pissed.

Dumont
Yup, that sounds exactly what happened to me, because it happened only twice out of literally dozens of route maps I've done and in well mapped areas, I'm thinking it might be due to a temporary hiccup in the navi's connection to satellites, maybe in that exact moment where it is supposed to recalculate the route the car's view to the satellites is obstructed by a building or something? Who knows, it's certainly weird
Old 12-10-2005, 12:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by acuranewbie
I did a search for this and found a reference to it a while back but didn't see any solutions or advice posted, anyway sometimes when I've mapped out a route with the navi and ignore the directions on the screen, instead of recalculating a new route all of a sudden I get the following error in block letters: "NO ALTERNATE ROUTE FOUND, ORIGINAL ROUTE WILL BE GUIDED" or something to that effect, at which point the route disappears, along with all route guidance (voice, direction list), just as if I had gone to "menu" and manually cancelled the route

What's really weird is that it happens in areas that are fully mapped (today was in downtown Miami), and when I input the same destination again immediately after the error the navi finds the destination and maps out a route as if the error had never happened

Anyone have this or know what causes it?
What version is your navi DVD?
Old 12-10-2005, 12:24 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I've had that happen to me once or twice. The solution is just to say "Menu," then choose how you want it to calculate your route. It will still be trying to send you to the same destination, but it won't do anything until you tell it to resume.

The times it's happened to me have been (1) when I take a new ramp from the Beltway to I-95 south (it doesn't know the ramp is there and gets confused because it thinks I'm off-roading) and (2) when I'm driving in the reversible HOV lanes on I-95. The Navi will NOT route you into the HOV lanes, I suppose because they're reversible and because the Navi designers don't want to listen to complaints from people who blindly follow the Navi in there despite not having three people. So anyway, if you drive in there, it gets confused at one particular spot near Woodbridge where the HOV lanes are some distance away from the local lanes, and it displays the message described in the original post. You have to wait until you're about two miles south, then say "Menu" and choose a route preference.

Were any of y'all on roads that are sometimes subject to various restrictions when the Navi hiccuped at you? It would be interesting to know whether that's the cause. We have some streets around here that completely reverse direction at certain times of day, but I've never thought to see whether the Navi would get befuddled by that.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by A_UFO
What version is your navi DVD?
Good question, I have been too lazy to check but I got a 2005 TL in late October so I guess I have whatever version was the one before the latest update was released
Old 12-10-2005, 12:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
I've had that happen to me once or twice. The solution is just to say "Menu," then choose how you want it to calculate your route. It will still be trying to send you to the same destination, but it won't do anything until you tell it to resume.

The times it's happened to me have been (1) when I take a new ramp from the Beltway to I-95 south (it doesn't know the ramp is there and gets confused because it thinks I'm off-roading) and (2) when I'm driving in the reversible HOV lanes on I-95. The Navi will NOT route you into the HOV lanes, I suppose because they're reversible and because the Navi designers don't want to listen to complaints from people who blindly follow the Navi in there despite not having three people. So anyway, if you drive in there, it gets confused at one particular spot near Woodbridge where the HOV lanes are some distance away from the local lanes, and it displays the message described in the original post. You have to wait until you're about two miles south, then say "Menu" and choose a route preference.

Were any of y'all on roads that are sometimes subject to various restrictions when the Navi hiccuped at you? It would be interesting to know whether that's the cause. We have some streets around here that completely reverse direction at certain times of day, but I've never thought to see whether the Navi would get befuddled by that.

Hmm now I'm even more confused about the errors I'm getting, at least in your situation it makes sense because of the HOV lane or what not but the first time it happened to me was in my parent's neighborhood in Orlando which is a completely residential area so no highways, etc., the navi took me from Miami to the Orlando house with no glitches but then when I left after a couple days to go back to Miami I mapped a route to my house and after about 30 secs while still in the residential neighborhood I got the error

the second time was in downtown Miami, it wanted me to keep going straight for an entrance ramp to I-95 and got confused when I ignored its suggestion and made a right turn instead, immediately I got the error

because it happens so infrequently I'm not too worried about it, more curious than anything as to what can cause it, I still think my hunch that it has something to do with a momentary loss of access to the satellites fits because it would explain why it happens in areas that are fully mapped and even then only sometimes, for instance with the I-95 error I wanted to see if I could reproduce the error and so I mapped the same destination and did the same thing (turned right instead of heading straight) and it worked fine
Old 12-10-2005, 12:45 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't feel like reading all the responses, but I have gotten it several times on my 04 TL. Simple fix is to just hit menu and press the same route again. For example I always use direct route, so I press that button again and it will put put the route back on the screen. Not a big deal, simple fix. Does seem odd when all of a sudden you lose your directions and route from the nav though.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by acuranewbie
Good question, I have been too lazy to check but I got a 2005 TL in late October so I guess I have whatever version was the one before the latest update was released
The latest version until recently was 3.40c

The latest version that was release at the end of October 2005 is 3.50
Old 12-10-2005, 06:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by A_UFO
The latest version until recently was 3.40c

The latest version that was release at the end of October 2005 is 3.50
I got mine the last week of October but I doubt they had replaced the older DVD so I most likely have 3.40c, I considered buying the upgrade but since every addresss I've needed so far was found by the navi it's hard to justify forking over 200 bucks