Android Tablet Integration

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Gryphter
On more thing... I have discovered that I have no way to change my clock time. It appears with navi the only way is through the screen inputs. I am thinking about just clipping the wires that power the clock though. I have a clock widget on my tab screen already. Daylight saving sort of creates an issue right now!
Maybe extend the screen harness wires to the foot well for a temporary connection?
Old 06-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
^ That's what caught my eye too. VERY nice work and I've always wanted to implement a tablet or Ipad3 into the dash but I don't have the fab skills to do that.

Do you Jerry? ...b/c if you do I've got my keys right next to me lol
I have the skills, but in Florida right now...lol!
Old 06-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,966 Likes on 14,484 Posts
holy cr*p...what an innovator, nicely done!
Old 06-07-2012, 10:30 AM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
subscribed!
Old 06-07-2012, 10:33 AM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by niebur3
So you wire the power directly to the 12 volt battery? Did you modify a car charger or anyhing to go in between?

iPads, tablets, and cell phones all work of 5 volts and I couldn't imagine your tablet will take 12 volts very long before going up in smoke. You may want to do something different if you haven't already and I missed it.
Good eye! I didn't address that in the explanation much. However the Acer that I have uses a 12 volt 1.5 amp source. Exactly the same as what the car produces. (Within .5 amps) That small variation will not cause an issue as long as the volts match. Wire in a fuse just for safety and you're good. This is again why the acer is perfect for this project.

Other tabs that have a different source will require some sort of inverter. Thus complicating this project even more. Not knowing what to expect on this one I wanted to keep it simple.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
^^ Very nice that the Acer is so compatible like that!
Old 06-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
this is an AWESOME idea!!! i absolutely DESPISE Acura's built in navigation system, the logic is completely stupid when searchng for POI'S, very often it gives me results that are Thousands of miles away so i can honestly only ever use my navi for getting to a place i already have the address for. My question for you is, am i giving up any other of my built in Acura features by integrating this tablet? I.E. Voice control of the AC system and various other voice controllable functions?, HFL Bluetooth calling?, and how reversible is this mod?
Old 06-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Drifting

All you're doing is removing the OEM LCD and installing the tablet. Completely reversible.

He mentions the only thing he is missing is the ability to change the clock (done thru the OEM navi screen), but if you've updated to a more recent navi disk, even this is not a problem.

Looks like the most difficult part of this is getting the tablet to fit the OEM bezel and making all of the connections.

I've been investigating this as an alternative to my carPC. The only other thing I would recommend is a USB hub. The tablets all seem to only have a single USB port---throw a hub on there and you could connect multiple USB devices.
The following users liked this post:
-XIV- (07-11-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dwb993
All you're doing is removing the OEM LCD and installing the tablet. Completely reversible.

He mentions the only thing he is missing is the ability to change the clock (done thru the OEM navi screen), but if you've updated to a more recent navi disk, even this is not a problem.

Looks like the most difficult part of this is getting the tablet to fit the OEM bezel and making all of the connections.

I've been investigating this as an alternative to my carPC. The only other thing I would recommend is a USB hub. The tablets all seem to only have a single USB port---throw a hub on there and you could connect multiple USB devices.
Ok well i just realized there is definitely one MAJOR (in my eyes) thing i will no longer be able to use with this mod... my back up camera!... and i used that thing A LOT, so i am wondering is there any way you guys can think of possibly keeping that functionality by somehow incorporating it into the android tablet? MAYBE there is a dedicated camera button on this tablet that can be connected to the same reverse light trigger? but instead of activating the built in camera you can program it to launch an app that shows you the video feed from an outside camera source? Would all of this be more plausible with a windows version of this same tablet? (Sorry for all the questions i'm just brainstorming here)
Old 06-08-2012, 01:58 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
who can I pay to do this for me?
Old 06-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by emilio320
Ok well i just realized there is definitely one MAJOR (in my eyes) thing i will no longer be able to use with this mod... my back up camera!... and i used that thing A LOT, so i am wondering is there any way you guys can think of possibly keeping that functionality by somehow incorporating it into the android tablet? MAYBE there is a dedicated camera button on this tablet that can be connected to the same reverse light trigger? but instead of activating the built in camera you can program it to launch an app that shows you the video feed from an outside camera source? Would all of this be more plausible with a windows version of this same tablet? (Sorry for all the questions i'm just brainstorming here)
Yeah... i am thinking windows tab on this one. There just isn't enough integration with an android tab to make this happen. I am not saying some programmer out there couldn't easily make this happen, but using existing apps and inputs this would be difficult to accomplish.

For instance: the android tab would need an input that it could be listening on for the backup camera to turn on. While the tab has usb capability, someone would have to come up with an interface that would work with backup cameras and switches and then write an app that would understand all of the signaling and launch the backup camera view... and so on. This just hasn't been done yet and the likelihood of it being done is low in my opinion simply because there isn't much of a market for it.

One simple way that you might achieve a simple backup camera is to relocate either the forward facing or rear facing camera on the tab to the rear of the car. Just extend the wiring to the back. I have NOT looked at whether this is possible or not. Just brainstorming at the moment. One of the issues you might run into is simply the proprietary cables and things inside the tablet and the fact that the cameras are usually soldered to a circuit board.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Drifting

Maybe use the HDMI out to an RCA connector to a NavTool and let that do the switching. Just dunno if there is an adapter out there that converts HDMI to RCA. Talk abt not much demand!!

EDIT: Apparently, there are adapters for this on Amazon! Google "mini HDMI to RCA".

Losing the backup cam would be a deal-breaker for me. I already have a CarPC, but have not completed my touchscreen integration yet. I think I'll pass on the Android tab idea and continue down my road.
This is a good alternative for others, though. Thanks for posting it up!
Old 06-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Advanced

The relocating of the actually built in android camera would be a great idea, however i am worried that the field of view would be too narrow, plus like Gryphter mentions who knows if these ribbon cables are extendable or not or if they are soldered on to the board for that matter. I like the HDMI to RCA idea however, the only thing is that i would rather keep the android system vs the windows system for in-car operations and the simplicity. I don't want to have to deal with a laggy windows OS in my car :/ .. Quick question:The MINI HDMI on the windows tablet, isn't that OUTPUT only? or it can actually receive video also?
Old 06-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Drifting

I believe its output only, which is the problem. If the display would accept another input, you could fairly easily incorporate the backup cam.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Advanced

Guys, I may have found the solution!! Its a kit that allows you to mirror your phone's screen on your built in Navi. I just need to confirm that there is such an adapter i can use to convert my phone's HDMI output (Galaxy S II) to a composite signal that the OEM screen can read and display. Check out the link for more info what do you guys think?

http://www.customgadz.com/store/prod...?id_product=16
Gryphter (06-13-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
this is an AWESOME idea!!! i absolutely DESPISE Acura's built in navigation system, the logic is completely stupid when searchng for POI'S, very often it gives me results that are Thousands of miles away so i can honestly only ever use my navi for getting to a place i already have the address for. My question for you is, am i giving up any other of my built in Acura features by integrating this tablet? I.E. Voice control of the AC system and various other voice controllable functions?, HFL Bluetooth calling?, and how reversible is this mod?
the funny part is Acura Navi is the best in-car Navi.. well from reviews that I have read.. at one point.. say about 5-6 years ago it was one of the best all around Navis (even against portables)
Old 06-12-2012, 09:10 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by FCVadi
the funny part is Acura Navi is the best in-car Navi.. well from reviews that I have read.. at one point.. say about 5-6 years ago it was one of the best all around Navis (even against portables)
well i guess things were much worse 5 years ago, cus google maps has completely spoiled me.. how hard is it for acura to understand that when im looking for the nearest Marshall's clothing store i did NOT mean Marshalls hardware in IOWA when i live in Miami, FL .. wtf?! i think ALL navi's should be programmed to show you nearest results first, and completely illiminate results that are unreasonably far.. anyways OFF topic lol, anyone check out the link i posted above? that mod looks promising!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:22 AM
Drifting

I bought from customgadz not too long ago. I got the switch so I can integrate the OEM touchscreen with my CarPC. Shipping took quite some time (they're in Australia), but it was over the Xmas holiday. They seemed pretty responsive to my inquiries. I will need them again before I try to install it. I'll let you know how helpful they are.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dwb993
I bought from customgadz not too long ago. I got the switch so I can integrate the OEM touchscreen with my CarPC. Shipping took quite some time (they're in Australia), but it was over the Xmas holiday. They seemed pretty responsive to my inquiries. I will need them again before I try to install it. I'll let you know how helpful they are.
That would be greatly appreciated thanks!.. would also love to know what the parts are that i need to have the switching settup between OEM and my android phone being mirrored, apparently there are a bunch of different kit options and different connector types, do you know which ones are needed for the TL?
Old 06-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Intermediate

Guys, I may have found the solution!! Its a kit that allows you to mirror your phone's screen on your built in Navi. I just need to confirm that there is such an adapter i can use to convert my phone's HDMI output (Galaxy S II) to a composite signal that the OEM screen can read and display. Check out the link for more info what do you guys think?

http://www.customgadz.com/store/prod...?id_product=16
Emilio - Way to go! That is AWESOME! I have been looking for something like that for ages. I am thinking that is exactly what I need for the project in my wife's van. Perfect!
Old 06-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Drifting

That would be greatly appreciated thanks!.. would also love to know what the parts are that i need to have the switching settup between OEM and my android phone being mirrored, apparently there are a bunch of different kit options and different connector types, do you know which ones are needed for the TL?
Our cars use the Type A touchscreen interface
Old 06-26-2012, 01:47 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is AWESOME.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
When I saw the nexus 7 tablets come out I was wondering if this would work. I have a non-navi so other than moving the LCD it doesn't look too hard.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:26 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by geekybiker
When I saw the nexus 7 tablets come out I was wondering if this would work. I have a non-navi so other than moving the LCD it doesn't look too hard.
Yeah that's what I was wondering too. The audio port is on the bottom of the Nexus 7 instead of the top so it might be a little easier to work with.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:35 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was JUST about to make a thread asking this and gladly came across this one!

Amazing!! *Suscribed*

Gryphter, thanks for sharing and providing pics. One question: What made you choose the Acer specifically? I was going to go with the Galaxy Tab 7 2 because of it's dimensions (7.6" x 4.8" x 0.4"). Thought it being thinner of many other 7" would be able to squeeze in there.

Glad I came across your project, I was under the impression I'd have to remove the WHOLE unit.

I came across this thread over @ reddit and there could be some helpful tips to use with this. The most is the app TASKER.

LINK to another ANDROID in car project
Old 07-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by geekybiker
You may want to spring for the part that replaced your clock in your non-navi with the digital read-out for your fans and radio display if you decide to do that, otherwise you won't be able to see what your radio is tuned to. I am thinking the same thing perhaps when I get time to take the car apart and it cools off some here.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by imakeholesinu
You may want to spring for the part that replaced your clock in your non-navi with the digital read-out for your fans and radio display if you decide to do that, otherwise you won't be able to see what your radio is tuned to. I am thinking the same thing perhaps when I get time to take the car apart and it cools off some here.
In the other non-navi installs they have moved the entire double din display. I like the lower mount replacing the CD pocket and cig lighter method. The one question I have is every seems to move to the navi bezel while doing this. Is there a reason why they just dont cut down the non-navi display?
Old 07-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts
This is a great idea, I might do this instead of the carPC thing I was planning on doing. Thanks for the info man, it will help a lot
Old 07-19-2012, 11:01 AM
6th Gear

hey guys, just wanted to share some pics of my gyphter-inspired install. it was just a happy coincidence that i had bought the same tablet (acer a100) for this project. i have an '04 non-navi, so i had to dremel out a spot for the tablet to go. i had never used a dremel before (had to buy one specifically for this) so it's not the "cleanest" install. i can live with it though

here is a link to more pics of the entire process
genokan (07-22-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 11:02 AM
6th Gear

https://plus.google.com/photos/10279...PLU6db57tSDlgE
genokan (07-22-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Drifting

Clean, Andy!
Old 07-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Advanced

holy crap that looks awesome!! great job dude!
Old 07-19-2012, 03:00 PM
Instructor

NICE job. I want to do this with the Nexus 7.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think anyone who has even considered doing this will be attempting it with the nexus 7, especially for the price, just waiting for a car dock to be released for the tablet, which will help with integration.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I wouldn't put the Nexus 7 to waste by installing it in a car, I think I'd rather use it as a tablet.

The Acer seems PERFECT for this because of the power supply, which would be independent of the USB port meaning you would have the USB port free to hook an external HDD up to, correct? I'm not sure if tablets have the capability to have an external USB device attached that they can read/write from.

Plus, I'm finding these things as cheap as 180 bucks at Walmart... My Navi DVD is hosed so, Pay 400 bucks to Alpine or 200 bucks for a droid-in-dash. Hmmm.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by genokan
I'm not sure if tablets have the capability to have an external USB device attached that they can read/write from.
Most newer tablets support usb2go which is the standard for using devices like mice, keyboards, hdd, etc on tablets and phones.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:30 PM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Incredibly awesome... God damn.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How does this 'cartab' affect the stereo's display? I'm having the infamous DVD drive issue so my stereo display as well as my Navi doesn't always work. Would this need to be sent to Alpine and fixed or would the tablet eliminate it?
Old 09-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Intermediate

Supply List

Some of you have asked for a supplies list for doing this project so here is a basic one from memory.
  • audio cable - 3.5 headphones jack to some sort of right and left
  • Connectors that match your right and left for the car's audio wires (use these to connect to your cable)
  • Power connectors (your choice of design) + & - for tablet and + & - for car side
  • Light gauge wire for soldering to power button on tablet
  • super glue - for glueing down circuit boards and things you move around
  • foam sheets for insulating circuit boards so they don't short against each other
  • soldering gun
  • needle point tip for soldering gun
  • solder
  • electrical meter - for testing your solders to make sure they aren't shorting
  • Bravery, sense of adventure, willingness to F stuff up!

You will probably find something I missed but that's most of it. Good luck!
Old 09-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Intermediate

Quick update

Just wanted to give a quick update on how the tablet ingration is doing. The report is good! Just one issue so far. The tablet has some sort of thermal protection and shuts down if it gets overheated. This has only happened twice since I have installed it.

The first time was on a trip to Dallas, TX and I was running Google Nav and streaming pandora and several other things. Eventually after about 2.5 hours it shut off. After about 10 min it came back on.

The second time wasn't even on a very hot day and I wasn't doing anything but flipping the screens. I am not even sure it was thermally related. Could have just been an app I downloaded. In that case it stopped responding altogether. I held the power button down and shut it off. Then turned it back on. Everything was fine.

That's all for now.
triax37 (03-28-2014)

Quick Reply: Android Tablet Integration