Android 4.4 Kit-kat - potential for N7 in-dash w/ JEXR

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 08:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
Android 4.4 Kit-kat - potential for N7 in-dash w/ JEXR

Just saw some news articles leaking some info about android's upcoming iteration of Android - 4.4 Kit-kat (HA! and everyone thought it would be key-lime pie).

Anyhow definitely some interesting things, most notably it looks as though Google is adding USB OTG support out of the box with android 4.4.

That's a big development for the N7 in-dash installs. Timur, the creator of USB-ROM, dropped development support for it. Understandably though, given the few donators and amount of time required to develop the code for it.

Here's a news article on android 4.4

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/51270...m#.UlidJFA9PDA

I'm hopeful with this one, if it does indeed have USB-OTG support I can revert to running a stock android 4.4 or a modified version of it eventually in conjunction with tasker to achieve the same results as I am now with Timur's ROM.

May even solve my bluetooth audio problems with using an external mic that way or allow me to use an external USB mic so I can get Google Voice to place/receive calls across the tethered tablet.

I can already get the call functions to work, just the receive audio on the distant end is horrible due to the integrated mic being buried in the dash on my N7.

Hopefully those fixes are there ... since if they are it'll completely replace the HFL in the car and work off the car's audio system.

I'm also looking at purchasing a Joycon EXR (http://www.rcjoycon.com/base_3/menu_...m_board_page=&) and starting to tinker with the steering wheel controls and pulling a reverse input for the reverse camera.

If I can get an external mic to work with 4.4, I'll definitely be going that route sooner rather than later since I've been on the fence about it for a while. Currently it doesn't really get me that much, but if I could get the external mic working its worth the effort for me to re-map the steering wheel HFL buttons (which are a resistive network) from the radio to a JEXR to control functions in android.

Right now it just isn't worth the time to me (cost isn't much), but I'm confident I could get the JEXR to give me a reverse input for a reverse cam and swap the steering wheel controls over to android. I've been looking at it for a little while now.
The following users liked this post:
pohljm (10-11-2013)