Amp for 9Kv.2 Subwoofer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 03:55 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Amp for 9Kv.2 Subwoofer?

So per the recommendation of somebody here on the forums (forget who and the damn search is broken) I picked up the 9Kv.2's as a drop in replacement for my stock sub.

The sound is clean, however, in combination with my infiniti's, it doesnt seem like there's enough power to go around.

Any recommendations on a good amp to use with these? The sub has dual 4 voice coils.

Any recommendations on a good install place in md/va area would also be appreciated.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:24 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats the v/c and rms for the sub?
Old 08-21-2008, 04:25 PM
10th Gear

just saw it was dual4 hah. but ya whats the rms?
Old 08-21-2008, 06:28 PM
Advanced

there's a place call safesound in Manassas right on 234 business. here's a link
http://www.mysafeandsound.com/
Old 08-21-2008, 06:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,431 Posts
kennedy or someone else was running an xtant (sp?) amp that fit under the seat for just the sub. Do you want power just for the sub or for the speakers too?

also specs:
Model Name :Elemental Designs 9Kv.2 Subwoofer
Available Voice Coils : Dual 2 - or - Dual 4
Power Handling : 200/400 WRms

quick question leedogg, why did you take the dual 4 over the dual 2 coils? Also how did the sub fit in with the install?
Old 08-24-2008, 08:39 AM
RAR

Originally Posted by csmeance
kennedy or someone else was running an xtant (sp?) amp that fit under the seat for just the sub. Do you want power just for the sub or for the speakers too?

also specs:
Model Name :Elemental Designs 9Kv.2 Subwoofer
Available Voice Coils : Dual 2 - or - Dual 4
Power Handling : 200/400 WRms

quick question leedogg, why did you take the dual 4 over the dual 2 coils? Also how did the sub fit in with the install?

I got the dual 4 based on the advice of the guy who recommended this sub on the forums. He was extremely knowledgeable and knew about the open air design needed for the oem drop in replacement. Wish search was working properly...

The fit is a little hard because the sub is deeper then the hole. You need to bend the lower deck pan down a little to get it in there. You will also need to drill new holes to screw it down since the OEM sub has different mounts

I think I want to power all speakers...that head unit simply doesnt cut it. Volume only goes so high, and the sub is definitely muted a bit. What does come through sounds good though, cant wait to hear what it sounds like with full power being delivered to the infiniti's and sub sound like.

Last edited by leedogg; 08-24-2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
Leedog,

I believe I was the gentleman who recommended the sub to you.

How many channels do you want to power. All six? Do you want to amp your front stage to give you more presence up front and leave your rear fill on the stock amp?

Let me know some more about your goals so that I may recommend an amp that best fits your needs.

For instance, where do you want to install it. Is size/form factor an issue? Do you plan on upgrading from the Infinity coax speakers in favor of some mid-high level components?
Old 08-24-2008, 05:32 PM
RAR

Originally Posted by jnc2000
Leedog,

I believe I was the gentleman who recommended the sub to you.

How many channels do you want to power. All six? Do you want to amp your front stage to give you more presence up front and leave your rear fill on the stock amp?

Let me know some more about your goals so that I may recommend an amp that best fits your needs.

For instance, where do you want to install it. Is size/form factor an issue? Do you plan on upgrading from the Infinity coax speakers in favor of some mid-high level components?
yeah jnc you look familiar, I do believe it was some of your posts that convinced me on getting this sub

I'm kinda open to suggestions right now, I definitely want to amp up that sub, but I'm thinking if I could deliver a little more power all around, that might be nice. Currently it only cranks up to a certain loudness and doesnt get any louder beyond that point. The infiniti's are sufficient, I'm not looking for anything crazy, just a clean, nice sounding system with overall balance (no bass overwhelming the other speakers or vice versa)

I heard it might need to be a fairly big amp to power that dual 4 coil, so it might need to be a trunk mount somewhere.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

You won't need much more then 150-200w. While the 9Kv.2 is rated for much more - you are using it in an IB install. Thus this lowers the mechanical power handling of the speaker. This holds true for any speaker used in an IB environment. In a sealed box the speaker's suspension in combination with the airspace inside the box keep the speaker in check. In an true IB environment you essentially have a very large sealed box. The suspension performs differently then if it were in a sealed box.

The good news is you do not need a very large amp.

If you plan on just powering your front stage and leaving the rear and center on the stock amp DLS has a new 3 channel amp that fits the bill perfectly.

I believe your Infinity's are 4ohm speakers - the sub being a d4 can be wired to 2 ohm, or 8ohm. This worked perfect when you were trying to pull the most out of the stock amp - but now you need to pick an multi-channel amp that is 2ohm stable for the sub and 2/4 ohm stable for the other speakers.

http://www.xprogram.com/en/car/prod.html?produkt=en_662

The sub channel is rated to put out 330w at 2ohms. Knowing DLS this is most definitely underrated. Keep your gains low and you should be fine.

Another option is Alpine's PDX-5
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...&lang=en&tab=F

Five channel - leave the center speaker powered off the stock amp and you have a decent whole care solution.

If you can find it - the A/D/S 860MX is a superb amp.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v5...urrent=010.jpg

If you're not worried about size....

AUDISON-LRx6.9

There are many more combo's that I could list, but in the end it's up to you.

Let me know if I'm heading down the right path... or if I need to change direction. Whatever it is you're looking for its most certainly out there.

Keep in mind if you plan on retaining the stock Navi you will need either an LOC, or a sound processor such as the Rockford 3sixty.2.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:40 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leedog....so I was also looking into this sub. Is it a noticeable difference over the stock sub? Was it worth it? I'm thinking of ordering one and just drop it in and then later on putting an amp to it. I wish I could hear it..
Old 08-25-2008, 02:01 PM
RAR

Thanks for the feedback JNC! I'll look into some of your suggestions. Yep keeping my stock navi

CJ, The sub sounds very promising, but very muted right now as it doesnt have enough power, hence the amp! I'll let you know how it sounds after dropping an amp in.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Leedogg:

What did you end up getting?