Am/fm/xm/cass/cd/dvd-a----why Not MP3???

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 09:07 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am/fm/xm/cass/cd/dvd-a----why Not MP3???

Anyone able to find an MP3 player for 04' TL without removing the stock stereo?
Old 09-19-2004, 02:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im still waiting for the aux in solution, anyone know if its out yet? and anyone know which company makes the unit where you can use the steering wheel controls to control the ipod? And the freakn tsx has aux in
Old 09-21-2004, 02:14 PM
Drifting

MP3 sounds like crap, that's why the engineers didn't include it with the TL audio system. I've used MP3 in my home system, and it sounds about like bad FM radio....I've even tried ripping at higher bitrates, but it still sounds dead with no "life" ....OK for portable use with iPod etc, but really not exactly high-fidelity sound
Old 09-21-2004, 03:06 PM
Acura Sales Rep.

The 05 RL has Bose DVD A with MP3.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:10 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JetJock
MP3 sounds like crap, that's why the engineers didn't include it with the TL audio system. I've used MP3 in my home system, and it sounds about like bad FM radio....I've even tried ripping at higher bitrates, but it still sounds dead with no "life" ....OK for portable use with iPod etc, but really not exactly high-fidelity sound
are you saying that a cassette tape has better audio quality that an MP3 at 192kbps? i would highly doubt that. also there is alot of noise that is associated with tapes that can be heard on a tape. the downside to mp3's is the fact that its compressed and whatever system is playing it has to umcompress it and try to rebuild the original audio stream. at 192kbps its very close to cd sound. i agree with the original poster of why not an mp3 option. i literally have absolutely no use for the cassette tape and have been made fun of several times for even having it. now i just tell people its a toaster oven and i make pop tarts in it.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:19 PM
Intermediate

I don't think I will ever use the tape player and wish I could use it's space for storage or something else that's usefull.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:39 PM
Intermediate

Reason for Tape Player - Books on Tape

Use it all the time. Works quite well. I know you can get books on CDs, but if you rent or go to the library most of what they have is on tape.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:52 PM
Drifting

caball88...you probably won't believe this, but years ago I made a lot of tapes using a Nakamichi Cassette Recorder. I used vinyl albums(mint condition), played on a LynnSondek turntable with a Kiseke Moving Coil Cartridge and good tone arm. These tapes sat in a closet for years until I got my TL. Just for fun, I pulled them out and started playing tapes I haven't heard for years. What a shock! They actually sounded pretty good...much better than FM or MP3, and almost as good as most CD's, but not DVD-A. I think most people judge tapes from listening to pre-recorded stuff, where they duplicate at high speed, on junk tape...with results that sound terrible. I never thought that these old tapes would sound so good. It was quite a suprise and now I've got hours of new (old) music to listen in my car.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:44 AM
2nd Gear

Best solution for MP3/AAC/Lossless

Originally Posted by VelfarreClubber
Im still waiting for the aux in solution, anyone know if its out yet? and anyone know which company makes the unit where you can use the steering wheel controls to control the ipod? And the freakn tsx has aux in
The ICELink connects directly to the back if the factory head unit and has a cradle to put an iPod 1G/2G/3G/4G/Mini into. I put mine in the glove box so I can leave it in and lock the glove. The head unit treats it as another CD changer 'cause my Sony can handle up to 10 changers. All functionality that would be present for a changer is present for the iPod. For quality rip your CD's to AAC 192 or Apple Lossless if you have enough space for 300MB albums. Also it's easy ro put audiobooks on the iPod.

-Jeff
Old 09-23-2004, 06:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Jeff, you got the freakn ice link on the 04+ TL!?!?!?!?
Old 09-23-2004, 08:48 AM
04 5AT ABP/Camel

Originally Posted by JetJock
I strongly disagree.

I have burned MP3s to CD so that I could listen to them in the TL. The sound is superior to FM, and far superior to the overly compressed XM stream.

I do NOT believe the designers of the system excluded MP3 because of audio fidelity or quality. If this was the case, the unit would not support XM, which is the just slightly ahead of AM as far as quality goes (IMO).
Old 09-23-2004, 02:34 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by VelfarreClubber
Jeff, you got the freakn ice link on the 04+ TL!?!?!?!?
No, It's in a '92 Accord. Sorry for getting your hopes up. Though I don't see why the HONDA/ACURA adapter from Denison wouldn't work unless Honda recently changed the intreface.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

lol its okay, but according to their site it says its under developement or n/a yet. i can't wait to get it and i just returned my 2nd faulty mini and bought a 4g the best part of the ice link is being able to use the steering wheel contols to change tracks on the pod