THE alternative to MusicLink is here....

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 11:59 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lumpydog
I ordered from Enfig as well. They told me that it was backordered and would be in within two weeks. Three weeks later, all I had was a credit card bill. I canceled and they were good about giving me my money back. Not entirely there fault - if they can't get'em they can't ship'em... Just don't charge me for something you can't give me!

Looking for one as well.
Yeah I ordered something from Enfig and it wasn't in stock. They charged my credit card the day I ordered anyway. They were good about crediting my account when I cancelled, however WHAT IS WITH THEM CHARGING BEFORE THE ORDER SHIPS? I will not be ordering from them again.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:19 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
www.discountcarstereo.com has them is stock again....

Adapter unit: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=879

Y Adapter: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=787
Old 05-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Two questions please.
How do you get the silver trim off?

2nd Crutchfield says the USAspec does not work with the 2005 TL with Navi. has someone installed it in a 05 Navi?

Thanks

Originally Posted by luniz97
1. remove left silver trim
2. remove drivers side panel understeering column..just pops right out
3. unscrew screws to remove drivers side inside panel
4. pop out the side panel..
then easy install from there...i did some crazy thing where i followed the music link install instructions...talk about a waste of time
also...make sure you don't scratch your car...i did a little bit then when to kragen and bought a tool for 8 bucks...its panel remover ..definately worth it
Old 05-01-2006, 07:03 PM
TL Loverrrrrrr

Originally Posted by Jmark
Two questions please.
How do you get the silver trim off?

2nd Crutchfield says the USAspec does not work with the 2005 TL with Navi. has someone installed it in a 05 Navi?

Thanks
Yes, USAspec DO work with 3rd Gen TL with Navi. I've only installed on 04 TL w/ Navi. I didn't get the Y adapter which to keep XM. With Y adapter, some folks do complain about sound bleeding through XM though.

I installed USASpec without removing the silver trim. If you are not a big guy, you can probably install it by reaching through the back of stereo directly. See page 3 of this thread.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:16 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the reply. Have read this full thread a couple times now.

I'm not a big guy and have had a quick look under the drivers side. Pulled off horizontal the platic plate above the gas peddle but still can't see much other than metal.
I'd like to take off the plastic side cover that's beside the seat, but it looks like I have to get the silver trim off first.

Regards,
John

Originally Posted by waacow
Yes, USAspec DO work with 3rd Gen TL with Navi. I've only installed on 04 TL w/ Navi. I didn't get the Y adapter which to keep XM. With Y adapter, some folks do complain about sound bleeding through XM though.

I installed USASpec without removing the silver trim. If you are not a big guy, you can probably install it by reaching through the back of stereo directly. See page 3 of this thread.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by waacow
I installed USASpec without removing the silver trim. If you are not a big guy, you can probably install it by reaching through the back of stereo directly. .
Or have a girlfriend/wife or kid with small hands...
Old 05-02-2006, 08:47 PM
1st Gear

Quick Question,

A few have asked whether it works with Navi, but I have a 2004 with out Navi.

Will this setup work?
Old 05-03-2006, 12:25 AM
Cruisin'

Music link already installed...

If i already have the Acura music link installed am i able to use the y adapter which i assume acura is also using so that i can use the USASpec PA11-HON2 instead?

There was also a post up a ways that said if music link is already installed then the sound would be bad? If i remove the music link from the back of the deck unit then this should remove the music link from the loop anyway and should not affect anything correct?

great thread thanks!
Old 05-03-2006, 09:19 AM
Pro

You can use the Y adapter that Acura installed with the Music Link to hook up to the USA Spec adapter in order to retain XM. I know because I recently had this done to my car. I removed the Music Link and used the same Y adapter to hook up my USA Spec adapter.

If you're going to do the install with the USA Spec (which I highly recommend by the way), the best thing to do is to get rid of the Music Link completely. You can't use both in the car at the same time anyway because they both feed off the same 14 pin connector on the back of the radio.

I haven't regretted once in removing the Music Link.

The USA Spec is the way to go!
Old 05-03-2006, 09:27 AM
Cruisin'

Yes, I have about had it with the music link so its gone... i will order the USA Spec adapter and hook into the Y adapter as I have XM and want to keep it. One more question... am i able to follow the instructions listed in this thread to get access ot the "Y" on the drivers side or did you find it somewhere else?

Many thanks!
Old 05-03-2006, 10:05 AM
Pro

Yeh, use the instructions in this thread to get access. They work perfectly.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:47 PM
10th Gear

Whats the difference between the USASpec PA11-HON2 and the USASpec PA11-HON besides $60??
Old 05-03-2006, 11:49 PM
Pro

I think the USA Spec PA11-HON is for the older Honda/Acura models.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Instructor

Ordered but still want to remove trim

Ordered my unit from www.discountcarstereo.com and it's confirmed and being shipped within 24 hours!!

Now I just need to get that silver trim off and hopefully the drivers side panel.
I'm going to print off those pictures some kind person posted and taking them to the car with me. Then maybe I'll see what those pictures show

John
Old 05-04-2006, 09:17 PM
Racer

From my understanding people who had the 2003 w/ XM/Navi had problems with other brand Aux adapter, does this one not have the problem? What are those of you with 06 and XM/Navi using and do you have any problems?
Old 05-04-2006, 09:45 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Found a little trick with the musiclink. I posted it in the audio forum but thought I'd repost it here, if it's ok.

With the ipod unplugged from the car, navigate to the selection you want, press play and then pause. Plug the ipod in and the stereo will play your selection. Not great but at least you get to hear what you want.

Dave
Old 05-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Guys, you can also get the Y-cable from any honda/acura dealer for $15 :-D
Old 05-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lumpydog
I ordered from Enfig as well. They told me that it was backordered and would be in within two weeks. Three weeks later, all I had was a credit card bill. I canceled and they were good about giving me my money back. Not entirely there fault - if they can't get'em they can't ship'em... Just don't charge me for something you can't give me!
I ordered from Enfig about a month ago, and it shipped on Monday. Not too cool - it was listed as "in stock" when I ordered it. If I weren't so lazy I would have cancelled too.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:13 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
there are alot of them on ebay. Got mine for 111 shipped.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:17 AM
Instructor

Just installed mine using the method described on page 3 of this thread.

iPod now works as advertised w/my 05 TL.

Only disapointment: When the ipod is attached, my XM sounds muffled (even with the ipod off. The iPod must be completely disconnected to listen to XM with normal crisp audio. Not terrible - to have the ability to listen to my ipod in my TL... I'll live with it.

Anyone else using XM and having the same issue?
Old 05-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
I wonder if XM bleeding is an issue of quality of the Y-adapter.

I just started a new thread to see if this is an issue:
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/volk-18-volk-gt-u-rims-w-bfgoodrich-kdw2-tires-136397/
Old 05-07-2006, 12:28 PM
10th Gear

Trouble getting PA11-HON2 unit working properly

Sorry in advance for extending this enormous thread but considering I read it all and did not spot solution to my problem, what a hack! I had this unit installed (plugged into XM port - I don't use XM) and it plays, however I cannot get it to switch playlists at all. I followed all the instructions for playlist naming but it keeps playing just one. In addition I can only switch modes using steering column controls. I have 2005 TL without Navi and I’m hoping that someone ran into this situation and has some advice to offer.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:41 PM
TL Loverrrrrrr

Originally Posted by akgolf
Sorry in advance for extending this enormous thread but considering I read it all and did not spot solution to my problem, what a hack! I had this unit installed (plugged into XM port - I don't use XM) and it plays, however I cannot get it to switch playlists at all. I followed all the instructions for playlist naming but it keeps playing just one. In addition I can only switch modes using steering column controls. I have 2005 TL without Navi and I’m hoping that someone ran into this situation and has some advice to offer.
There are 2 modes of operation for the unit. One is playlist mode and the other is the direct mode. Which mode are you on? There two toggle switches on the unit, see the manual for more detail. I have not even try the playlist mode at all. I've been just using direct mode.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:12 PM
10th Gear

I actually tried both modes, in direct mode I can control the device manually, both ultimately I would rather use playlist - personal preference I guess, I wanted to keep the iPod out of the reach - less tempting to play with while driving I guess
Old 05-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Pro

I only use Direct Mode and have tucked my adapter away so I never even have to worry about switching it to Playlist Mode. I knew I would never use it anyway. The iPod in Direct Mode is sweet especially since it's on a mount right in front of me and I have easy access to all my songs.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:41 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by lukasr
Quick Question,

A few have asked whether it works with Navi, but I have a 2004 with out Navi.

Will this setup work?
I second lukasr's question but for an 05 without navi. All I saw was discussion of Navi cars on all the thread's pages.
I just got a 5th Gen Ipod 30gig and would like to get it hooked up. I would like to retain XM if at all possible and am concerned about what I hear about the "bleeding".
Old 05-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't experienced the "bleeding" yet. Can you guys describe what you are hearing? Is is actual audio/music from the XM broadcast or just motor noises and buzzing? Are you hearing it during Ipod playback or all the time?
Could it be caused by your mounting position of the USA SPEC? Mine is sitting under the driver's seat and I'm using the PIE HON03 Y-adapter from Discountcarstereo.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Crook
I haven't experienced the "bleeding" yet. Can you guys describe what you are hearing? Is is actual audio/music from the XM broadcast or just motor noises and buzzing? Are you hearing it during Ipod playback or all the time?
Could it be caused by your mounting position of the USA SPEC? Mine is sitting under the driver's seat and I'm using the PIE HON03 Y-adapter from Discountcarstereo.
mine sucks when u have the ipod plugged in and hit xm the ipod still plays over xm
Old 05-09-2006, 09:20 PM
Instructor

First - Thanks for the info!
I got my USA SPEC off Ebay for $110 shipped.
Took longer to remove the Musiclink than it did to install the USA SPEC.
I was able to reuse the splitter from the Musiclink to keep the XM.
And I used the Musiclink Ipod cable, which is longer than the USA SPEC cable.

This is so much better than the Musiclink! Thanks for all the info and pics.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Adobeman
I second lukasr's question but for an 05 without navi. All I saw was discussion of Navi cars on all the thread's pages. I would like to retain XM if at all possible and am concerned about what I hear about the "bleeding".
See post #181. akgolf has an '05 without nav. Yes it does work, but akgolf is currently having problems getting it to work the way he wants it to.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:46 AM
Cruisin'

USA spec install over the Musiclink...

Just installed the USA spec...

Since i already had the musiclink installed there was no shortcut for plugging in anything this time. Had to take the center console and nav out to plug into the honda y adapter since i want to keep XM. The good thing is i got to see how they mounted everything and used the provided foam padding. They mounted the acura music link switch box right behind the NAV on teh supprt beam and tie straped everything down along the existing wire harnesses. Was a major bitch getting to it but came out ok in the end.

So... 4 hours later after figuring out NOT to destroy my metal trim i got it installed, haven't figured out where to install the USA Spec box, but might leave it under the drivers side seat so that i can reach it in the future... we will see need to find something to mount my ipod to in the car... any suggestions?

In hindsight i should have ordered Doms video conversion kit while i was behind there... but oh well at least i know where everything goes.. lol

No bleed on the Xm, however i have not fully tested it, but i switched from source to source and was ok.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:05 PM
Instructor

I have my USA Spec box under the driver's seat which gives me easy access to the setting switches and the RCA plugs. I also have an RCA video cable running from under the driver's seat to the DOM unit which is in the trunk. During road trips the rear passengers watch DVD's on a portable player in the back and if the front passenger wants to watch it too, I'll attach a cable from the mobile player to the inputs under the driver's seat. Movies are rarely watched in the car so a portable dvd player is working out just fine for now.

The DOM unit taps into the system in the trunk so you don't have to take your dash apart again.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:18 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Crook
I have my USA Spec box under the driver's seat which gives me easy access to the setting switches and the RCA plugs. I also have an RCA video cable running from under the driver's seat to the DOM unit which is in the trunk. During road trips the rear passengers watch DVD's on a portable player in the back and if the front passenger wants to watch it too, I'll attach a cable from the mobile player to the inputs under the driver's seat. Movies are rarely watched in the car so a portable dvd player is working out just fine for now.

The DOM unit taps into the system in the trunk so you don't have to take your dash apart again.

Thank god
Old 05-10-2006, 07:41 PM
Cruisin'

Anyone who did this from So. Cal?
Old 05-10-2006, 08:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jmark
Ordered my unit from www.discountcarstereo.com and it's confirmed and being shipped within 24 hours!!

Now I just need to get that silver trim off and hopefully the drivers side panel.
I'm going to print off those pictures some kind person posted and taking them to the car with me. Then maybe I'll see what those pictures show

John
Talk about good service from Discount Stereo. Ordered from the U.S. and it hit customs 2 days after i ordered it and arrived today.
The install went well in my Canadian 2005 TL with Navi, once I figured out i didn't have to take that blue connector off. That empty slot towards the drivers side door was too easy to install the connector into. LOL
Love it !!!!

John
Old 05-10-2006, 09:22 PM
10th Gear

Need help with install

Crook - I followed your install procedure and for the life of me I can't get the USA Spec plug into the back of radio. Using your suggested paint lid removal tool I had no trouble at all getting the XM plug out of the back of the radio. I thought this was going to be the hard part so when it came out so easy I thought this was going to be a breeze. Boy was I wrong. Almost 2 hours, a sore head, and a great deal of frustration later I still have not been able to get the new USA spec plug into the radio. I even went out and bought the long screwdriver as you suggested, but I can't even get the new plug started in the socket order to use the screwdriver to push it in. Do you, or does anyone else, have any suggestions? I am afraid that I may have to do what I did not want to do and remove part of the console. If I do end up having to remove part of the console can anyone provide some tips for removing the silver trim piece without screwing it up.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:00 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JamesP
Anyone who did this from So. Cal?
waacow is from San Diego. He's currently out of town though.

TonyS, have you tried asking someone that is small in size to help you out? One of your kids? I ask this because waacow said he was able to do it, and he calls himself a small guy. I've met him once, I think we're about the same size. Just my .
Old 05-11-2006, 04:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TonyS
Crook - I followed your install procedure and for the life of me I can't get the USA Spec plug into the back of radio. Using your suggested paint lid removal tool I had no trouble at all getting the XM plug out of the back of the radio. I thought this was going to be the hard part so when it came out so easy I thought this was going to be a breeze. Boy was I wrong. Almost 2 hours, a sore head, and a great deal of frustration later I still have not been able to get the new USA spec plug into the radio. I even went out and bought the long screwdriver as you suggested, but I can't even get the new plug started in the socket order to use the screwdriver to push it in. Do you, or does anyone else, have any suggestions? I am afraid that I may have to do what I did not want to do and remove part of the console. If I do end up having to remove part of the console can anyone provide some tips for removing the silver trim piece without screwing it up.
You could try what someone else suggested. Use a wire hanger instead of a long screwdriver. It's difficult get that plug back in because of the upward angle as you guide the plug towards the back of the radio. Take a thick wire hanger and bend the last inch of one end at about a 60-90 degree angle. Either insert the bent end of the hanger into one of the plug's holes where the factory wires goes into it, (be careful not to cause damage) or tape the end of the hanger to the plug. Now try to guide it with the perfect angle into socket. Once you get the plug locked into place, pull the wire hanger back to unsecure it from the tape.

I know its a painful and frustrating but you'll get it eventually. Make sure you use a small flashlight for illumination. Prop the flashlight up there somehow so you can have both hands free. One hand guides the wire hanger with the plug taped to it and the other hand uses the long screwdriver to help steer the plug and finally press it into the hole until it locks in place. You might not hear a click from the locking tab.

If you have to, take some breaks and don't stay upside down with your head wedged against the brake and gas pedals for too long. It starts hurting and you'll start cussing.

The key is having a good source of light so you can see what you are doing.

Good Luck
Old 05-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TonyS
I just held the harness of wires up to the socket and moved it around slightly until I knew it was going in, then used the screw driver to push it in all the way.
U did check to make sure the conectors are identical, right? Sorry had to ask.

As for the silver trim it was trial and error for me, but in the end easy. Use a small flat screwdriver to pry the trim dash side of the trim. ALWAYS put a thing rag (something thing) or what ever between the screw driver blade and the trim so you don't scratch things up.

Start at the center console box and easily pry it up with the screw driver. This first one takes a little effort as it's locked there. Once you have that lock popped off you will be able to see where the other locked points are, the indents on the silver trim indicate a lock is below. Slowly and CAREFULLY keep moving up until the trim is off.
It may not help you though as I couldn't figure out how to get the side panel off (beside the head set) without taking the whole front dash apart. I think I'm missing something here but it seems dam hard to get that side panel off. I'm obviously missing some screws somewhere but don't know where.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:05 PM
10th Gear

Success almost

I finally managed to get the USA Spec unit installed without taking the dash apart. It took a while to get the connector to line up and seat but when it did it was a major rush. I would like to thank Crook for his detailed installation instructions. I would have never figured this out wihtout this guidance. Also, thanks to everyone else for their installation suggestions.

However, now that I have it installed I seem to be having a problem. Everything plays fine but nothing shows on the screen. I set up in playlist mode and assigned all of the HONDA playlists as the manual instructed. I can surf through the playlists and songs with no problem and the sound quality is great but the Disc and Track numbers never show up on my Nav screen. as the instructions indicate they should. Anyone else had this problem.

Quick Reply: THE alternative to MusicLink is here....