For all of you who r using 3sixty.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
For all of you who r using 3sixty.1

as everybody else im using the 3sixty.1 processor after the stock amp. Now i ran wires from the stock amp back to the trunk where i put the 3sixty. When i put a 100hz signal playing at volume 40 i read about 4.8 volts ac on the 3sixty coming in, a little bit less for the rear channels but front a subs about the same. Now after the 3sixty wich should give me a 4 to 5 volts signal i read not even 1 volt ac.

So im not sure where the problem is on the stock amp or the 3sixty. cause when i put it to play everything sounds so weak and muddy like there is a clipped signal everywhere.

It would really help me if someone could messure the high level signal coming into the 3sixty.

thanx guys i really need some help here.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
did you tune the 360?
Old 01-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

its not cause of that cause its clear that something is not right. it might be that my 3sixty is not good anymore cause it used to work properly. now i just cant remember how much the stock amp was putting out and if someone could tell me that. it would make ti easier to figure out .
Old 01-07-2007, 11:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

come on guys its a 2 minute thing someone can do it .

id be really thankfull.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:13 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BukvaMan

id be really thankfull.
you need to install this piece after the radio,before the factory amp.i had the same problem with my piece.after it was said and done.i felt the clean sweep from jl audio sounded better,even though the 3sixty.1 gave you more setting.checkout my type-s .
Old 01-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I told you in a previous post, the voltage doesn't matter. You have to match the impedance, not the voltage. If the inputs to your processor are high impedance, you have to install it pre-amp. If the inputs are low impedance (which I doubt) then you install it after the amp. It doesn't matter what the voltage is. Amplifiers are current sources, not voltage sources.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:13 PM
2004 TL

Help me tweak a 3Sixty.2

id be really thankfull.
BukvaMan, I was wondering if you ever resolved this problem. I just installed a 3Sixty.2 and it sounds muddy too, no real bass. I've tweaked the hell out of it, and just can't get it to sound good. I'm considering just taking it out and using an AudioControl LC6i instead. My current setup is taking the high-level signal post-stock-amp into the 3Sixty.2, then from there into two Alpine amps (M605 mono and F545 4-way). My speakers at ADS 346cs up front and Polk Momo MMC-650 in the rear, with an Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1 sub in a 0.65 cu.ft sealed enclosure. Hope you can give me some good advice on this, cause it's driving me mad.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:41 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Are you sure you guys don't have any wires touching each other effectively grounding each other out or something? Sounds strange that a solid-state unit like the 3sixty will suddenly "go muddy"...

Have you guys tried to re-do the tuning procedure? Just in case... who knows how much it could change the voltage output...
Old 02-09-2007, 09:09 AM
2004 TL

I just came across something interesting yesterday. I had the output level for the sub on -6 (on a range of -40 to 0). The other four channels sound good at about -14. So when I tried dropping the sub level down to -25, it started sounding a heck of a lot better. I'm guess the amp was taking a higher-level signal but going into some kind of protective mode, so it was sounding real muddy. I'm still going to have all the wiring checked again, though.

In response to some of the other posts, both Crutchfield and Rockford Fosgate recommended taking the high-level post-stock-amp signal, since it's already been processed for 5.1 sound and they say it provides a cleaner signal.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

mine sounds really good the only problem i have is the output signal from the 3sixty seems to be very weak. why? i dont know. as far as i remember the levels were set at - 5 on full range and and on sub - 8.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:23 PM
2004 TL

That might be related to when you do the New Setup procedure and set the input levels on the 3Sixty. Do you set the levels so that the lights are flashing red? The instructions said to have them at least flashing red, or barely when they turn solid red, but no further.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:24 PM
2004 TL

I forgot to add that on mine I have set at -13 for the fronts and -15 for the rear, and I get plenty of volume. I would turn it up a bit higher, but then I start getting this residual hiss that's pretty annoying.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

thats funny, the fact that it is the same car makes me kinda wonder that my 3sixty is not really functional. id like to know where everybody else got their gain set at.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:45 PM
2004 TL

thats funny, the fact that it is the same car makes me kinda wonder that my 3sixty is not really functional. id like to know where everybody else got their gain set at.
BukvaMan, you got any news on your setup? I ended up exchanging the 3Sixty.2 I bought from Crutchfield, worked great for a few days, then the same problem again. So I swapped out the amp for another, and the same thing again: worked great for a few days, then the same problem. I can't figure out what the hell it is!!! I'm wondering if the 5V preouts on the 3Sixty are not being properly matched to the gain setting on the amp or something. Could it be damaging the amp somehow? I'm having no problems with the other amp. The amp I have are an Alpine MRD-M605 mono and Alpine MRV-F545 4-way. I'm pulling my hair out on this one. I'm almost to the point where I might pull out the entire stereo setup I had installed and just go back to stock.

Also, would you mind checking exactly which wires you tapped into for the connections to the 3Sixty for the sub? I followed a chart that Crutchfield tech support gave me and mine is connected to the Yellow/Black (Sub +) and Light Green/Red (Sub -) speaker-level wires.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:16 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have some sound quality issues with the 3sixty.2. Originally I had tried using the preamp signal from the oem deck to a Navone line driver and then to an Audiocontrol DQXS. No midbass in this setup and the sound was distorted and clipped at any volume. After reading some posts here, I used the signal coming from the factory amplifier into an Audiocontrol LC6i high to low level converter and then to the Audiocontrol DQXS. HUGE improvement in sound quality. Excellent midbass, clean highs. I decided I wanted to be able to time align my separates so I switched to the 3sixty.2 using its built in high to low level converter. Lost the midbass, and the sound becomes distorted above moderate volume, which indicates a lack of clean signal strength. I am going to try using the LC6i as the high to low level converter to send a stronger, cleaner signal into the 3sixty.2. Hopefully this will fix the problem. Issues you seem to have confirm my own experience with the 3sixty.2. I will let you know if the Audiocontrol fixes the problem. Seems like trying to get a clean, strong signal can be tricky with this oem system.

Current system gear:

A/D/S 346cs separates
Xtant 604x biamping separates
Diamond Audio D6 10" (2)
Boston Acoustics GT28 (sub amp)
Fosgate 3sixty.2
Old 03-27-2007, 10:05 AM
2004 TL

Originally Posted by silver_bullet35
I also have some sound quality issues with the 3sixty.2. Originally I had tried using the preamp signal from the oem deck to a Navone line driver and then to an Audiocontrol DQXS. No midbass in this setup and the sound was distorted and clipped at any volume. After reading some posts here, I used the signal coming from the factory amplifier into an Audiocontrol LC6i high to low level converter and then to the Audiocontrol DQXS. HUGE improvement in sound quality. Excellent midbass, clean highs. I decided I wanted to be able to time align my separates so I switched to the 3sixty.2 using its built in high to low level converter. Lost the midbass, and the sound becomes distorted above moderate volume, which indicates a lack of clean signal strength. I am going to try using the LC6i as the high to low level converter to send a stronger, cleaner signal into the 3sixty.2. Hopefully this will fix the problem. Issues you seem to have confirm my own experience with the 3sixty.2. I will let you know if the Audiocontrol fixes the problem. Seems like trying to get a clean, strong signal can be tricky with this oem system.

Current system gear:

A/D/S 346cs separates
Xtant 604x biamping separates
Diamond Audio D6 10" (2)
Boston Acoustics GT28 (sub amp)
Fosgate 3sixty.2
silver_bullet35, thanks for telling me about your setup. It's good to know that it's not a defect in my selection of equipment. I think taking the preamp signal causes a problem because it's a digital bus, if I remember what someone else said in one of the other threads. So post-stock-amp is definitely the way to go for tapping in.

Are you having any problems at all with the bass coming from the subwoofer? I've figured out a way to make mine sound "okay", but I'm used to quality sound from a high-end Alpine head unit in my previous car, so I'm a bit frustrated with this OEM integration nonsense. It doesn't quite have the thump I'd like it to have; I'd say it's about 70% there. What's weird is that the OEM head unit seems to attenuate the bass when you put the bass setting on high and turn it up, so I've found that putting it on close to the Off position (one or two clicks up from Off) ironically seems to produce the best bass quality, though still not as good as I'd like. The rest of the system sounds rock solid and really happy with it -- it's only the sub that's giving me a challenge. My current sub is a 4-Ohm single voice coil, I'm thinking of changing it to a 4-Ohm DVC sub so I can run it at 2 Ohms and crank out some more power.

As for the 3Sixty.2, it's a pretty impressive unit, but it's limited only because it doesn't use a mic to sense the acoustic output of the system. I used to have a Pioneer DEQ 9200 and that thing uses a mic and a white noise generator to compensate for the acoustics, with amazing results. The only reason I don't use it again is because it won't take high-level inputs and there's also just nowhere to install it in the dash. Alpine is coming out soon with the PXE-H650 which does what the Pioneer unit does and more, but it's a hide-away unit so no worries about in-dash installation.

Keep me posted on your system....