All threads on Nav/XM Traffic on the TL - MERGED

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 06:37 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 TL Navigation System Enhancement

I noticied that the 2006 TL Navigation system does not display traffic information like the RL. Since the navigation and XM system are in the automobile can you enchance the navigation system to get that information or is it do able at all?
Thank you
Bob
Old 07-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Instructor

Not that I am aware of, there was a post somewhere on here that references an Acura spokesperson saying it cannot be done on the 3G TL because of software and hardware not being in our unit..
Old 07-10-2006, 07:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 07-10-2006, 08:30 PM
Advanced

nav/xm traffic

hi..to all...

I have a 2006 Acura TL with Nav System. Does anyone on this board have a subscription to XM Nav Traffic?

My Nav Traffic does not work and they sent 3 signals but it still does not work.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:02 PM
Advanced

The TL does not have traffic functionality integrated into the Nav. The RL does.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Advanced

thank for the infromation salden...
Old 07-10-2006, 09:11 PM
1st Gear

Unhappy Help!

i heard that you can have xm traffic (on the navigation). i subscribed for that and then i realized that it does not work. i called the company and did everything that they said to do (tried 2 times). the car that i have is a 2006 TL Acura with navi.
if anyone knows what the problem is, please reply.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:27 PM
Intermediate

I think the traffic is only available on the RL - at least the only reference I found to the real-time traffic is on the RL specs (on the Acura website)

I wonder if there's a way to swap units . . . . . . .
Old 07-11-2006, 12:27 AM
Safety Car

Alright, THREE threads on the same day about the same topic.

Welcome to the forums guys, but please perform a search before posting.

I have merged all threads concerning this topic here. Please continue discussion here. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:22 PM
says "hello to my TLX".

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by datmrman
Alright, THREE threads on the same day about the same topic.

Welcome to the forums guys, but please perform a search before posting.

I have merged all threads concerning this topic here. Please continue discussion here. Thanks.
what a way to flex your muscle. j/k

you guys are lucky to have my man here keep this section informative an organized.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:03 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sun Diego CL-S
what a way to flex your muscle. j/k

you guys are lucky to have my man here keep this section informative an organized.
:gheyhug:
Old 08-03-2006, 09:24 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JERU
Not that I am aware of, there was a post somewhere on here that references an Acura spokesperson saying it cannot be done on the 3G TL because of software and hardware not being in our unit..
I would GLADLY pay for that! If you've ever had NavTraffic, it's hard to live without. It can be done with an XM module that supports both radio and Navtraffic and a software upgrade. I would be interested in knowing if you could swap out an RL unit AND XM module and make it work.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:26 AM
Pro

whens navi traffik coming out?

i heard of this feature , i wanted to know if someone had any updates on this

thx
Old 08-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
for the TL???

do you mean live traffic updates on your navi screen? Hopefully the nexy gen TL, already on the RL
Old 08-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Pro

re

man this sucks
Old 08-10-2006, 11:29 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NavTraffic

Every time I get in my wife's vehicle, I get so upset with the Acura Nav system having XM radio....but not NavTraffic. I won't get into what I REALLY think about that here... suffice it to say that in my area, NavTraffic is priceless.

Here's my question. My understanding is that the RL has this feature. I don't know if there are other Acura models that do. On my wife's vehicle, the difference between just XM radio and XM radio w/NavTraffic is the module. I can't help but think this system couldn't be upgraded in some way to add this feature by adding the NavTraffic module. You may also need a software update. I have a lot to figure out about this, but I was wondering if any of you have looked into this or know of some place where I could go to investigate the possibliites of adding this. It may not be economically feasible...but I'll never know until I look into it. Where there are guys installing complete factory nav systems in TL's that never even had it, I can't help but believe there isn't something out there that will work...if I only knew where to look or start.

Any help you can give me???
Old 08-10-2006, 11:57 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Noone want to plunk down the thousands of dollars it woudl take to test this out. Bring your RL over to my house and I'll be glad to try it out.

Originally Posted by CobraGuy
Every time I get in my wife's vehicle, I get so upset with the Acura Nav system having XM radio....but not NavTraffic. I won't get into what I REALLY think about that here... suffice it to say that in my area, NavTraffic is priceless.

Here's my question. My understanding is that the RL has this feature. I don't know if there are other Acura models that do. On my wife's vehicle, the difference between just XM radio and XM radio w/NavTraffic is the module. I can't help but think this system couldn't be upgraded in some way to add this feature by adding the NavTraffic module. You may also need a software update. I have a lot to figure out about this, but I was wondering if any of you have looked into this or know of some place where I could go to investigate the possibliites of adding this. It may not be economically feasible...but I'll never know until I look into it. Where there are guys installing complete factory nav systems in TL's that never even had it, I can't help but believe there isn't something out there that will work...if I only knew where to look or start.

Any help you can give me???
Old 09-12-2006, 12:20 AM
DIY Mad Scientist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy
Noone want to plunk down the thousands of dollars it woudl take to test this out. Bring your RL over to my house and I'll be glad to try it out.
I have not been able to source a TL unit but I have an Accord unit so I can't specifically speak about Traffic XM but the unit is literally plug and play. The only issue I found was that if you try to use the HFL in the Audio screen, it hangs the Audio application.

I think it's because it loads the Accord BIN boot files.

The older TL units have different bin files that you can rename and trick the unit in loading but the new bin layouts actually includes all the files necessary for individual boot. i.e. the DVD unit knows what files to select within the BIN file... not sure how to trick the unit in loading the Acura RL files, if I can figure that out, I'll be able to test this.

From a hardware perspective, it's slightly different. The extra connector for the rearview camera is a 7 pin connector instead of the 6 pin that the ridgeline uses. I'll have to find a way to access the service manuals without having to purchas the service manual for every model of Honda / Acura that have the updated Nav...

If someone can't help me figure out how the unit chooses the loadup files, I'll test this.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:27 AM
Safety Car

Would it be easier to wait for the new '07 TL to come out (which is rumored to have XM Nav traffic) and see the cost of retrofitting?

Here is a relevant thread: Type S Audio, Video, Electronic Upgrades
Old 09-12-2006, 08:11 AM
DIY Mad Scientist

Originally Posted by datmrman
Would it be easier to wait for the new '07 TL to come out (which is rumored to have XM Nav traffic) and see the cost of retrofitting?

Here is a relevant thread: Type S Audio, Video, Electronic Upgrades
After working with these units for some time now, I believe that they were architected to be modular and that like the older TL Nav units 04-06 loading different software (BINs) may simply activate the features.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by lithiumus
After working with these units for some time now, I believe that they were architected to be modular and that like the older TL Nav units 04-06 loading different software (BINs) may simply activate the features.
We'll know for sure when we have access to the part numbers.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:41 PM
DIY Mad Scientist

Originally Posted by cTLgo
We'll know for sure when we have access to the part numbers.
What part numbers are you looking for? Ones in the BIN that match to a config file or just the hardware part numbers? The latter is easy... I can list them if that will help...
Old 09-13-2006, 08:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by lithiumus
What part numbers are you looking for? Ones in the BIN that match to a config file or just the hardware part numbers? The latter is easy... I can list them if that will help...

Not the current part numbers, we can already get those. I'm talking about the 07 Type-S's navi part numbers. My gut says its both a hardware and software upgrade, but my hope is its just software
Old 09-13-2006, 08:57 AM
DIY Mad Scientist

Originally Posted by cTLgo
Not the current part numbers, we can already get those. I'm talking about the 07 Type-S's navi part numbers. My gut says its both a hardware and software upgrade, but my hope is its just software
If the 07 Type-S is slated to have XM Traffic similar to the RL, it will most definitely be hardware and software. The TL is the last Honda / Acura that is still sporting the older units that were released in the 03 Accord, 03 MDX, 04 TSX, etc. I can almost gaurantee it will be the same hardware as the 05 Odyssey, 05 RL, 06 Ridgeline, 06 Pilot, etc...

What I'm trying to do is figure out how to “trick” the unit into loading the Boot OS software that belongs to other cars which has proven to be more difficult since the hardware as a bit more intelligence than simply picking a specific BIN file according to hardware model.

The system now loads a common BIN file and loads the necessary software according to hardware model.

Though I’ve heard some conflicting information as such…
06AVN2.bin (Civic) but this software is version 6.x so it will be different
SJCA2.BIN (Ridgeline)
05TOUCH2.BIN and / or 06TOUCH2.BIN (Accord)
Old 09-14-2006, 11:33 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Lithiumus...
I'm with you. I've retrofit navigation systems into VWs and what not, and am pretty dure the upgrade is gonna be plug and play. For everything to work properly, your're probably gonna need the following:

- DVD nav drive from an 06 Accord/TSX/Ridgeline/RL/etc... (anything with the new gen nav). I've verified the 2006 Accord, 2006 TSX are the same PN. The 2006 Odyssey, Ridgeline, and Civic SI all share a different PN.

I'd assume we'd need the newer Accord/TSX navi. The other technical issue would be reprogramming the navi to tell it to load the proper .BIN file since they seem to be "hardcoded" to the disc.

- 07 TL DVD nav disc obviously

- 07 TL radio (if you want the new MP3 formats and such. We'll have to explore how the AUX port is intgrated).

- 2007 HFL module

The integration would require you to have all of these things at once too, as the HFL is linked to the files loaded in the navigation.

That's my initial assessment.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:55 PM
DIY Mad Scientist

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Lithiumus...
I'm with you. I've retrofit navigation systems into VWs and what not, and am pretty dure the upgrade is gonna be plug and play. For everything to work properly, your're probably gonna need the following:

- DVD nav drive from an 06 Accord/TSX/Ridgeline/RL/etc... (anything with the new gen nav). I've verified the 2006 Accord, 2006 TSX are the same PN. The 2006 Odyssey, Ridgeline, and Civic SI all share a different PN.

I'd assume we'd need the newer Accord/TSX navi. The other technical issue would be reprogramming the navi to tell it to load the proper .BIN file since they seem to be "hardcoded" to the disc.

- 07 TL DVD nav disc obviously

- 07 TL radio (if you want the new MP3 formats and such. We'll have to explore how the AUX port is intgrated).

- 2007 HFL module

The integration would require you to have all of these things at once too, as the HFL is linked to the files loaded in the navigation.

That's my initial assessment.
Sounds about right. My retrofit project was putting the 2004 TL Nav, HFL, Radio/XM into an NSX. It's nearly done but now I'm trying to update it with the newer DVD units.

The BIN loading twist is that there are common BIN files this time so an Accord / TSX / RL / 07TL may all load the same BIN file but then select to use only specific programs within... this might take a bit more in depth skills to figure out than simply renaming a BIN...
Old 09-20-2006, 02:29 PM
DIY Mad Scientist

A couple of observations after testing...

The Honda Accord Nav system will hang the audio appliction if the XM unit is not connected. The Nav works perfectly but no audio functionality without the XM.

The HFL works fine (even though the Accord does not have HFL) but as soon as you change the video display to "audio" which in the TL would have shown a picture of the Steering wheel and buttons during the HFL operation it would hang the Audio application.

When it hangs, it simply does not play any music and you cannot press any buttons to affect any change. You see the touch screen buttons depress, but nothing happens.

One thing I forgot to check are if any of the phone options were available. i.e. the Phone Icon in the directory that allow HFL direct caling...

Because my system was retrofitted to an NSX, I don't have some of the features anyway...
Old 06-07-2007, 05:11 AM
71Q

Is there no way then, to get an 05 TL to operate with the same software as the 07 TL? I have had two 07+ tl rentals, and i like the system a good deal. I also like the more frequent voice feedback, and more specific commands! Am i straight out of luck then, unless i sell the car and buy an 07? That really isnt an option for me at this point!
Old 06-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Advanced

722ish, you're pretty much out of luck. Acura made a good number of modifications to the nav and the radio for the 07 so that it isn't really a plug and play replacement. it would require you to replace your nav dvd drive, radio, wiring harness... etc. a quick search in FAQ will show you the extent and the cost of this upgrade.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:42 PM
DIY Mad Scientist

OK. I've got a 2007 TL Type S Nav unit retrofitted to 2004 TL hardware. The XM unit is no longer recognized and is looking for the newer XM Traffic unit. The HFL is also not recognized and looks like it links directly to the XM Traffic unit now.

Although the system does not recognize the HFL, it continues to operate flawlessly in a stand alone fashion.

The audio seems to continue to work fine.

I also have a 2005 RL DVD nav unit and this does not work as the control buttons are different in the RL than the TL and Accord. I had a 2006 Accord DVD Nav that also worked well.

The 2005 RL DVD unit and 2007 TL DVD unit are essentially identical in hardware but it's the software that differentiates them...
Old 10-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Any luck?

Did anyone get this working? lithiumus - I see you are Canadian. I have a 2008 TL Navi and I am desperate to get the XMTraffic working. There is something with the Canadian models that are different, and I can't figure it out yet....whether it's the Navigation software (I'm running v4.62) or one of the modules/HFL that are different.

Anyone know???? HELP!!!!!!!