Alarm Malfunctioning

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009 | 08:19 AM
3rd Gear

Alarm Malfunctioning

Hi, I am BRAND new to the forum life, so bear with me. I have a 2004 TL. About a week ago, I was out, ran into the coffee shop, ordered my coffee and turned around to see my car alarm going off in the parking lot. I went outside, no damage, deactivated the alarm, and went about my business for the rest of the night. I did however notice that the marker lights were not flashing and the signal beep was not activating on this night.

The following morning, I went out, ran some errands, came home, and my alarm started going off again. Deactivated it, and about 5 minutes later, went off again. Went through this a couple of times, trying both key fobs to see if it was getting a bad signal from the remote due to low battery or whatever. No difference.

Went about my business for the rest of the week. Went out saturday night, went about my business, and at 3am my alarm again activated-multiple times. This time, the marker lights did activate as well as the signal beep.

When all this started occurring, the weather was rather wet. Heavy rain, lots of moisture in the air. I also began noticing that when I would turn the ignition, it sounded like a relay was "clicking" under the dash by my left foot while turning the key through position (I). In the most recent occurrence, the weather was dry and I did not notice the relay clicking.

What is going on here? I've been looking through the service manual at the circuit diagram. Before I go and do continuity checks on every system component, I wanted to see if someone else has had this problem and what means they used to fix it. I'm thinking I could have a bad relay. I don't believe it to be a shorting problem (because of it happening in both wet and dry conditions). Or is this problem associated with the MICS or U, which ever you want to call it?
Old 04-20-2009 | 09:10 AM
Instructor

Welcome.

what type of alarm is it factory or aftermarket?
Old 04-20-2009 | 10:17 AM
3rd Gear

this is a factory alarm
Old 04-20-2009 | 10:49 PM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Check to see if your windshield has been replaced. I've read on hear that if it leaks, it drips onto some relays and causes symptoms like yours.