Aftermarket Subwoofer question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 12:57 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Aftermarket Subwoofer question

So. I decided to go with the custom box that seems to be popular here. 10" that sits flushed in the the trunk of the driver's side rear quarter panel. I have read many posts stating to tap into the stock subwoofer with a LOC. But haven't read about removing the stock sub or to just keep it sitting there not doing anything. One thing I worry is rattle. I have read of people putting cloth and other material there. But I would like to maximize the projection of the sound of the aftermarket woofer to the cabin. People with experience that have aftermarket subwoofer with the stock subwoofer there and ones that have removed the stock subwoofer's feedback of sound quality would be appreciated.Thanks.

Last edited by TouringXLuxury; 06-05-2013 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
You can't take the signal from the stock sub and run the stock sub at the same time. It won't work. You don't want two very different subs in different locations playing the same frequencies at the same time. Disconnect and remove the stock sub if you're running an aftermarket sub.

Make sure that enclosure you're buying has the correct airspace for whatever sub you're using. The owner would not give out airspace of the sealed boxes or tuning frequency of the ported boxes. Some of the sealed boxes were on the small side which will cause the slow, sloppy, boomy type of bass.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
IHC exactly the answer I was looking for. I was thinking of disconnecting stock sub and to connect to the amp that feeds to the aftermarket sub. But didn't know if I should keep the dead stock sub still in place.

The box I have bought is designed over JL sub but I got an excellent price on a new fosgate sub and amp. I am really hoping it sounds good with the specs. Worst case I can just change out to a JL sub if needed and sell the one I have.

Thanks for the insighful information and the many other fruitful posts you have enlightened other members and myself included.

Once I get installed the navtool, DVD player in rear armrest, headrest monitors, dynomat, sub, amp, and CAP. I will provide some pictures and update.

I am a little amazed, I come from the CLUBLEXUS world many people are quite supportive and answer questions pretty quickly. This is only like my second thread but not much feedback, I do understand it is a different audience.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
your question was basic and was answered completely within 1.5 hours. not sure why your amazed there was nothing else to add.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:06 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my stock subwoofer shakes and makes awful noises sometimes
Old 07-18-2013, 01:23 PM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucky_Teenager
my stock subwoofer shakes and makes awful noises sometimes
So does my butt...

Seriously though, do a search to find fixes to your problem.

Here's something to get you started.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/rear-deck-bass-rattle-fix-%5Bpics-video%5D-614680/
The following users liked this post:
whoismiked (07-18-2013)
Old 07-19-2013, 10:24 AM
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by pohljm
your question was basic and was answered completely within 1.5 hours. not sure why your amazed there was nothing else to add.
Not quite fully answered. He asked if there is a downside to leaving the disconnected OEM sub in the deck. I also have this question, as I removed the subwoofer harness and reused the wires without removing the rear seat. Now, my aftermarket subwoofer is installed and working, but the OEM subwoofer is just sitting in the deck.

Thoughts?
Old 07-19-2013, 10:57 AM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
It's not hurting anything there.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
You can't take the signal from the stock sub and run the stock sub at the same time. It won't work. You don't want two very different subs in different locations playing the same frequencies at the same time. Disconnect and remove the stock sub if you're running an aftermarket sub.

Make sure that enclosure you're buying has the correct airspace for whatever sub you're using. The owner would not give out airspace of the sealed boxes or tuning frequency of the ported boxes. Some of the sealed boxes were on the small side which will cause the slow, sloppy, boomy type of bass.
The shop that installed my sub years ago somehow got the signal from the stock sub for the aftermarket sub but kept the factory sub working. I liked it because I could control the aftermarket sub volume through the radio. However, I must have recently blown the stock sub so it sounds like crap. I never used to turn the sub volume up but I recently did. Anyway I can have the factory sub disconnected and nit effect the JL 12w3?
Old 07-19-2013, 02:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
^^ retards your lucky thats the only thing that blew.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by JORTS
The shop that installed my sub years ago somehow got the signal from the stock sub for the aftermarket sub but kept the factory sub working. I liked it because I could control the aftermarket sub volume through the radio. However, I must have recently blown the stock sub so it sounds like crap. I never used to turn the sub volume up but I recently did. Anyway I can have the factory sub disconnected and nit effect the JL 12w3?
Your lucky you didnt blow the factory amp and the aftermarket amp. Never good to push 1 signal thru 2 amps pushing 2 different speakers