Aftermarket head unit to put in non nav '05 TL?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 11:32 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Aftermarket head unit to put in non nav '05 TL?

Yo. I am interested in upgrading the initiating the sound upgrade process in my TL. I'd like to start with a double din touch screen receiver that is CarPlay/AndroidAuto (iPhone master race here) compatible. The last time I bought a head unit, this technology did not exist! I have done light research and determined I would like to keep the steering wheel controls functional as well as full Bluetooth capabilities (through the head unit). I don't need a DVD player and I'd like to have two wired USB AUX input available, one for iOS and Android each. I plan on eventually upgrading the speakers and possibly adding a small amp and sub as well.

Essentially, if anyone has any brand/model recommendations, maybe based off what you have installed currently or in the past, let me know please. There are a lot of head unit choices, options and reviews. It is slightly overwhelming to me.

Has anyone installed a unit with the backup camera option? How does it perform?
Is wireless CarPlay/AndroidAuto worth it?
Capacitive or Resistive touchscreen?
What should I worry about (or not) as far as installation and durability?
Also, my TL has XM already. If I get a receiver with XM capability, can I use the existing XM receiver?
Am I overthinking it?
Finally, if you have speaker upgrade recommendations, drop those off here as well, please.

Thanks for any input anyone contributes and if all this information has been covered previously, I apologize. Thank you again!
Old 11-19-2018, 11:36 AM
8th Gear

I apologize if this is not easy to understand. I am reading it back after I posted and I could have worded it better!
Old 01-20-2019, 09:38 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Golfballer
Yo. I am interested in upgrading the initiating the sound upgrade process in my TL. I'd like to start with a double din touch screen receiver that is CarPlay/AndroidAuto (iPhone master race here) compatible. The last time I bought a head unit, this technology did not exist! I have done light research and determined I would like to keep the steering wheel controls functional as well as full Bluetooth capabilities (through the head unit). I don't need a DVD player and I'd like to have two wired USB AUX input available, one for iOS and Android each. I plan on eventually upgrading the speakers and possibly adding a small amp and sub as well.

Essentially, if anyone has any brand/model recommendations, maybe based off what you have installed currently or in the past, let me know, please. There are a lot of head unit choices, options and reviews. It is slightly overwhelming to me.

Has anyone installed a unit with the backup camera option? How does it perform?
Is wireless CarPlay/AndroidAuto worth it?
Capacitive or Resistive touchscreen?
What should I worry about (or not) as far as installation and durability?
Also, my TL has XM already. If I get a receiver with XM capability, can I use the existing XM receiver?
Am I overthinking it?
Finally, if you have speaker upgrade recommendations, drop those off here as well, please.

Thanks for any input anyone contributes and if all this information has been covered previously, I apologize. Thank you again!

I am actually curious if you have installed a brand new head unit yet? I am looking for the same actually. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Golfballer (03-22-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 01:45 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you ever do it? I always go with JVC or Pioneer.
Golfballer (03-22-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 05:40 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I went with this one:
Pioneer AVH-200EX Pioneer AVH-200EX

Pretty inexpensive and does the job. I am happy with the result.

Golfballer (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 03:25 AM
8th Gear

Arrow

Decided not to replace the factory head unit.
I was cleaning out my storage unit and found an old amp and a sub. A JBL GTO1201.1 amp and a JBL W15GTi, in a box. I am pretty sure they came out around the same time the car was manufactured anyway.

I got the idea when I fell in an Amazon hole and came across these:
Amazon Amazon

I will upload pics when complete.