after market subs and amp

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 08:10 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
after market subs and amp

what's up people of az...I have a question... jus got an 06 tl 5at w/navi and want to install my amp(1000x1 jlaudio) and subs(2 12in power acustic in Qlodgic enclosure) but don't want to mess up the navi nor the button on the steering wheel... what should I do if I can even do anything... ne help would be useful..

p.s when is the next closest meet in va/dc/md area..saw the video on youtube and it looks fun..(i know its random)
Old 03-22-2009, 09:05 AM
HOME SWEET HOME....

well if ur not changing the factory radio, then i dont think theres anything to mess up cause no wires are going to be ran to the factory radio
Old 03-22-2009, 04:09 PM
B A N N E D

pbc is right im running a XK25001 N dual 12" JL W3's and theres no change to the setup
Old 03-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
i'd ditch that qlogic box
Old 03-23-2009, 01:05 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where you located at? Only thing you have to do is tap into the stock sub by using a "Line out converter" (LOC) which converts it to rca and mount your amp. Run your +- wires and a remote. For the remote I tapped a fuse but I can't remember which one I did off the top of my head...not to mention its pretty late lol.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Advanced

so there is no necessary removal of the head unit?
Old 03-23-2009, 11:26 AM
KICKED IN THE BALLS

There is a DIY somewhere but I can't find it.
NO REMOVAL OF HEADUNIT IS NECESSARY<---very important. you don't even touch the head unit with this install. I know it sounds crazy huh.

The set up is pretty simple once you get everything taken apart. For a clean install you will have to remove your back seat and rear deck. You will need a Amp wiring kit minus the RCA wires and a hi-lo convertor. You will also need to go to your Autozone and pick up a tap-a-fuse that will go directly into your fuse box on the driverside panel. You will tap it into 31 which should be an opening slot. Do you plan on keeping your stock sub in or removing it entirely?
Old 03-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Advanced

well im in richmond va...and eventually I plan to customizing the entire trunk but as for now I don't want to do anything due the warranty.. but until then... btw what is diy..don't laugh im new ya was there once upon a time..I jus want some bass..the stock speakers are ok but sound like there gonna blow if I turn it up..every car I had previously was easy to install..but never delt with a navi nor connect my amp to a stock head unit...

thanks for all feed back waiting for a good day here to tranfer the sound..ill keep ya posted and if I screw up not(which I doubt)
Old 03-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Advanced

ill keep the stock sub in but not use it...
Old 03-24-2009, 09:36 PM
KICKED IN THE BALLS

DIY=do it yourself

Even if you keep your stock sub you have to tap into it so you can hook up your other subwoofer.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:11 PM
Cruisin'

Can be really simple...

This job can be done very simply and the only things you have to take out is the trunk carpet (floor, sides, and below the rear deck) and the two door jam moldings. Do this first!

Power wire-In the center of the firewall there is a plug. Remove that plug and punch a hole in it. Run your power wire through this hole. It will end up right behind the center console and you can run the wire left over the other wiring harnesses and then into the drivers door molding area. Run the wire back into the rear drivers door jam molding. You can now remove the seat but you do not need to. Simply fish the wire into the space behind the seat and it will come out in the bottom left corner of the trunk.

Ground-There is a grounding stud in the trunk that can be used to make a great ground. I believe it is for the trainer plug? Either way its bare metal and will make a solid ground. You can't miss it when the carpet is all out.

Remote-Its been said before but just run this wire next to the power wire and then up into the fuse panel. I made a small jumper out of the radio fuse but you can just stick it in the fuse slot and then put the fuse in on top.

Signals-The trickiest of all. There are basically two options. One is if you have a nice amp there will be "High Level Inputs". Basically these are "High" voltage inputs that allow you to simply use the stock sub outputs to provide the audio signals to the amp. Basically for this you would need to tie into the + and - of the stock sub with two wires each and take them to the R+, R-,L+, and L- on the high level inputs. This is easy and sounds great with my Alpine setup. You will retain all volume and subwoofer controls through the stock headunit.

The other option is to tag into the stock sub wires just the same and then go to a Line Converter and then use standard RCA's.

First thing to do here is to make sure you know the polarity of the stock sub wires. I dont remember which is which but the easiest thing to to is turn on the radio and tap onto the wires going to the cone with a multimeter. If the voltage comes up + then the red lead is on the + wire. If they come up - then you know that the red lead is on the - wire. REMEMBER the sub must be hooked up otherwise there will be no output on those wires w/o a load.

Either way the best way to do this is to unplug the stock sub and use two spade connectors in the stock plug. This way you dont have to cut the system to pieces and you can easily return to stock when you sell it.

I did my system this way and it sounds great!! If there is any interest I can throw a few pictures up. I think it came out super clean.