Advice on OEM HU + Aftermarket Amp(s)&Sub(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 05:28 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Advice on OEM HU + Aftermarket Amp(s)&Sub(s)?

Hey guys, how's everyone doing? I have spent some time researching, but have not been too successful on an issue with my sound system. My apologies for sounding like a donk because i am too noob.

I currently am driving an 05' TL, and basically just had a question. About 2 years ago I had a 2-Channel Amp (Audiobahn) and (2) 10in. Infinity subs connected to the headunit for the TL. The guy who installed this for me, left the stock sub in there which allowed me to be able to control the bass to all three subs via the headunit.

Now, my stock sub has blown out, completely, and sounds like crap. I've attempted to turn off the sub by the head unit, but this turns all three of them off.

So my plan now is to purchase a 5 Channel Amp, install a set of front and rear speakers (They are old Infinity speakers that I had for my old car, which sounded well when plugged into an aftermarket unit without amp); along with a 8" free air sub (the ones that many of the Azine members have already installed) where the stock sub was located.

My concern is of the tweeters and the center speaker. Ideally, I should be able to leave the stock amp to power the center and tweeters, correct?

Assuming that this does work, I would be running 3 amps, 3 subs, aftermarket speakers, stock center speaker and tweeters... now my question is whether or not this is feasible? And if so, what other parts do you guys think are necessary in regards to constraint on power/battery?

I am also wondering if this is even all necessary, and whether or not I should just get a 4-channel amp for the speakers, run the stock amp for the center and tweeters, and just leave the stock-sub area empty?

Again, my apologies for the nooobie questions. As you can tell I really don't know much about car audio, and therefore am not sure of the specifics of the equipment I need ... but would definitely like for my vehicle to sound better.

Please leave me your opinions and advice; thanks in advance guys! And please come right out and tell me if this is a ridicuolous idea, don't worry, you won't hurt my feelings.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:28 AM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
A lot of members disconnect the stock sub, and leave it empty. then right after the factory amp they add a LOC (Line Out Converter) to an aftermarket amp. this retains the center channel, then the aftermarket amp connects to the aftermarket subs.
hope this helps.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:14 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
A lot of members disconnect the stock sub, and leave it empty. then right after the factory amp they add a LOC (Line Out Converter) to an aftermarket amp. this retains the center channel, then the aftermarket amp connects to the aftermarket subs.
hope this helps.
Exactly what I did.
I took out the stock sub so air can move through and such.
Used a LOC to "hack" into the wires for the stock sub and hooked it up to the AMP.