Advice on Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Advice on Audio System

Ok, since it appears everyone seems to be doing audio, or maybe I just started paying attention, here is my thread on "What the hell should I do?"

My goal: Solid front stage, rear fill or not doesn't really matter, nice midbass PUNCH and SQ first. I've already damaged my hearing going through the SPL stage.

Ok, this is what I currently own:

1) 2004 Acura TL
2) 2 10" Boston Acoustics 10.4LF in a properly built sealed box
3) JL Audio W7 10" in a JL Box
4) A Soundstream Rubicon 600.4
5) Alpine PDX 1.1000

My plan is to ONLY focus on the front stage and the bass. Based on the above, first, what type of comps would you suggest. I have considered, Focals, Dyns, and the Alpine Type-X Pros. I'd prefer to spend less on these than I did my home speakers ($1k plus).

For Eggy, IHC, jda, because you all seem to know your shit, you think the amps are decent. I really liked the sound of the SS, I'm more concerned about the Alpine. Also my bass setup, would you do the BAs or the single JL if those were the ONLY two choices. Or would you get something better? I'm open to spending money here but given that I have decent stuff I wonder if it wouldn't be better spent on the front stage....

Also I already, sort of, decided on getting a JL Cleansweep to clean up the post-amp front stage, kind of a KISS choice. Is the stock crossover for the sub adequate enough to entirely bypass anything other than the Subsonic filter on the amp? I plan on just doing a LOC on the Sub.

Sorry, wall of text. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah the front stage is 5 1/4" right?
Old 06-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I'm on my phone, so this will be somewhat short and unorginized lol

1. What kind of sound are you looking for...smooth and laid back, or raw and in your face?
2. JL over the boston anyday. I would swap out the box for something bigger, though. If you can port it and tune low even better. If you can port it, fire it forward, and seal off the trunk, you'll be golden
3. The ss is a good amp for the price. Bridged, it should give you around 325 x 2 and has a low noise floor, so you're good in that department.
4. Which pdx is it? The older noisy version or the revision?
5. Cleansweep is not needed. Ms8 would be a good idea. They're a couple FS on diyma i believe.
6. Have you deadened yet? Any electrical upgrades?
Old 06-02-2011, 04:18 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool! Thanks for the response man, much respect. I'm looking for a more mellow sound. If you've heard Polk Lsi's in home, something along those lines. No metal tweeters IOW. Yeah I have both the Boston's and the W7 so I will definitely try both. The W7 is actually the system from JL, not the H.O. wedge but a smallish sealed. Was considering firing it up (removing the stock sub) as I planned on mounting the amps to the back seats.... Doing that I would definitely dynamat the rear tray. I hear you on the ported part, the JL doesn't go real low, but it hits hard, where the 2 BA 10s go low but don't hit too hard. Soundstream amp is from like, well the time when the Ref405 was the shit so I love that thing. Unfortunatelly the PDX is the old model. Upgrading that will probably be a down the road thing. I'm thinking the MS8 is overkill for me, and I have thought about it or the Audison, just not sure cost/benefit ratio works out. I never ran rear fill in my old car, hence my need for strong midbass up front. I'm definitely going to deaden the doors and rear deck for now. No electrical upgrades, think they are really needed?

Thanks for the help!