Dom's Backup Camera

Old 09-17-2010, 12:10 PM
UA7 6MT

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Dom's Backup Camera

I just ordered the TV & Nav2Go unit from Dom's. Wanted to know if anyone on the board has purchased the backup camera they sell as well. The one I am looking at with them has reverse image, flush mount, low lux capabilities for $80 and can be flush mounted above license plate with some drilling. The only thing it doesn't have is nightvision but I'm not sure if its worth the extra $ to pay to obtain that option in a flush mountable camera unit.

If anyone has any other recommendations for a better or comparable unit please feel free to let me know.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
There are quite a few options. I use the Boyo VTK350 ($35-$50), but it is kind of large. I just recently saw this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT) in a post on here and it looks pretty good, too.
Check the 3G Garage for more threads on the topic (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/3g-tl-service-department-aka-garage-questions-answers-check-here-first-553557/). You may also want to search the other forums (RL, CL, etc) as this mod has been performed on more than just TLs.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I just had my kit installed and it works great. I think you can just pick up one of the cameras off ebay and save a few more dollars. Take a look at this one...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The only thing that I'm not happy about is that it sticks out too far. I don't like the idea of cutting a hole for the cam so I went with the surface mount.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:03 PM
OCD

Received 126 Likes on 43 Posts
If you get a cheap eBay camera your probably gonna have to replace it in a year or so the Boyo VTK350 has some good reviews and is pretty cheap but its fricking huge I didn't want to deal with something like that. I decided to go with a quality camera the Kenwood CMOS-200 and I also have the Audiovox ACA200W going to be installed in the front which also a good camera decently priced and much smaller and better shaped then the Boyo
Old 09-18-2010, 01:59 AM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts
Try this one http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BOYO-VTB180-...item3f02d6f4ea
Someone recommended it to me. It's a bit more pricey though.

On another note I can't believe that I've got a doms pnp unit almost two years ago and have yet to install it, along with Marion&davis dvd player, and reverse hid kit...... I know I suck lol, is just that I definitely don't want to mess anything up.
Oh and my local audio shop quoted me $500 to hook up the doms unit and the dvd player.
No way I'm paying that.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by acura_dipset_tl
Try this one http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BOYO-VTB180-...item3f02d6f4ea
Someone recommended it to me. It's a bit more pricey though.

On another note I can't believe that I've got a doms pnp unit almost two years ago and have yet to install it, along with Marion&davis dvd player, and reverse hid kit...... I know I suck lol, is just that I definitely don't want to mess anything up.
Oh and my local audio shop quoted me $500 to hook up the doms unit and the dvd player.
No way I'm paying that.
Lets get together and get it done!
I just ran my 4G cable to my trunk yesterday. I'm going to connect it up and make it hot today. Finally, I can begin doing my projects involving power in the trunk.
I installed my NavTool last year, but its not difficult at all.
Seriously, we could knock a lot of it out in a long afternoon.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:31 AM
OCD

Received 126 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by dwb993
I just ran my 4G cable to my trunk yesterday. I'm going to connect it up and make it hot today. Finally, I can begin doing my projects involving power in the trunk.
There are 12V power sources you can tap into right at the Navi unit without any issue no need to run any power wire to the front! The doms unit draws very low current tapping the navi unit power from the trunk is not a risk
Old 09-18-2010, 12:47 PM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by dwb993
Thanx, Dave just let me know when you have some free time so we can knock it out. Work has finally got back to normal so I'm pretty much free on weekends.
BTW I got my timer in the mail yesterday for the reverse hid's. I think I just need the 4g wire, and some switches.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:42 PM
ElectroMechanicalEngineer

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
I have use the Boyo VTL 375
Old 09-18-2010, 04:11 PM
UA7 6MT

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys. After looking into it further I decided to just stick with the unit that Dom's has for sale as I would end up getting it at the same time as my TV & Nav2Go unit. Main reason being I can get everything wired up simultaneously.

Of the recommended units I beleive the Boyo VTL375 provides the cleanest look. I opted for the unit that can be flush mounted to mimic as much an OEM look as possible. I am also hesitant when dealing with eBay for electronics as its really a crap shoot if your going to get a quality unit or a knock-off. From searching other threads it appears that Wendy's unit was very popular a few years back but I can't find her products for sale anymore.

The cost of installs on most car electronics that aren't your typical deck/speakers will cost you a lot more. I'm going to go at it with the DIY method for and save myself a couple hundred bucks for sure. I may enlist the help of a more aptly trained friend for the drilling required to flush mount my back up camera. Mind you I am fairly new to car electronics but have been dealing with electronics for most of my life so let's see how far this enthusiasm gets me alone.

A key question I've seen raised in multiple other threads is with respect to the ideal way to wire and power your DOM's unit. It seems that some folks say its ok to just tap into Nav unit whereas others indicate that a separate mini-circuit should be created. I may just end up firing a quick email to DOM to see where he weighs in on this debate.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:24 PM
Drifting

I used an Add-A-Fuse in #32 in the underdash fusebox. Installed a 7.5A fuse and ran a 14g wire down the drivers side to the trunk to power the NavTool. Its basically the same way you would wire a remote amp turn on. It was neat, clean and easy.
The new 4g cable I ran is for some other projects that have been backing up!
OP, check the DIYs in the 3G Garage and/or do a search for "Backup Camera" and you will find at least 3 good threads with pics.
Oscar, check ur PM.

Last edited by dwb993; 09-18-2010 at 06:26 PM.