Acura TL 2006 w/Nav and USA Spec BT45-HON3 review

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 01:02 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here are some things Ive learned.

1- I do not get an Xm signal because I live in Hawaii. This changes how you have to install the USASPEC and had I known that from the start I probably wouldn't have ordered it, that is why I gave the negative review.

2- The issue is not with my XM receiver, ive contacted USASPEC and theyre claiming it is a defective unit. I am returning it to the seller on amazon.

My review remains the same. I also want to express disappointment that the USB port on the USASpec can NOT transfer music, so if you were considering running a iphone lightning cable to plug in to get clearer than compressed BT audio quality, the USAspec is NOT capable of doing that.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:32 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The weld strips look like a pain in the!

doesnt say how to get the cowl off.

need special trim tools?

Looks like a dozen busted clips waiting to happen?

anyone advice?
Old 09-27-2016, 12:10 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KCee
My thanks for this review. I installed a BT45 into my '06 non-Nav TL this weekend and so far it works well. I had no desire to take my dash apart and installing this in the trunk was pretty easy.
Having trouble getting mine to boot in the exact same configuration. 06' non-Nav TL with the BT45-HON3 hooked up to the XM Tuner, was there anything else you had to do to get the XM button to work? Mine is not functioning and i've tried everything.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:18 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Christopher Dasconio
Here are some things Ive learned.

1- I do not get an Xm signal because I live in Hawaii. This changes how you have to install the USASPEC and had I known that from the start I probably wouldn't have ordered it, that is why I gave the negative review.

2- The issue is not with my XM receiver, ive contacted USASPEC and theyre claiming it is a defective unit. I am returning it to the seller on amazon.

My review remains the same. I also want to express disappointment that the USB port on the USASpec can NOT transfer music, so if you were considering running a iphone lightning cable to plug in to get clearer than compressed BT audio quality, the USAspec is NOT capable of doing that.
Just saying, I have the previous, non Bluetooth version of this adapter. It functions 100% the same as the bluetooth one does, as verified by other users, except my phone is charging at a quickcharge rate the whole time. I get my music from my 8 pin lightning connector. The connector on the device is actually a 30 pin, and I have the apple adapter to go to lightning. It works wonderfully, and has for years. I believe it's the USASPEC hon-3.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:42 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Microphone

Originally Posted by chau003
Yes, I'm using the BT for my phone calls as well. Honestly, I'm just too lazy to go into my phone settings to pair my phone calls to the HFL and streaming audio to the BT45 unit, so I just do it all through the BT45. In the instructions, it states that you can answer an incoming call on the steering wheel by pressing CH+ and hang up by pressing CH-. Changing audio tracks is the same process and it works flawlessly, so I'm assuming it'd work just as well with phone calls. I prefer to pick up my phone in hand and swipe the answer button on my phone since I have it in the cup holder. It also announces your have incoming call and reads off the number. The only caveat is if you're listening to the radio or your CD, you'll have to manually switch over the XM1 to utilize the bluetooth if you have a call coming in. It won't switch automatically.

And to answer your question about having XM, it takes over the XM1 tab, but leaves XM2 untouched. If you really wanted XM, you can use XM2.
Can you please give me a step-by-step of how you wired the microphone? Thanks
Old 12-27-2016, 08:43 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a couple questions before I spend the $230 on the BT45-HON3.
Quick facts: I have an 06 TL Navi, My DVD Drive in the trunk crapped out on me so now my navi display does not show anything and the Screen above the navi unit doesn't display anything (radio station, volume, etc.) but the A/C Temperature, Modes & the things that pertain to the A/C System. My navi screen is not the problem it's the actual DVD Drive in the trunk as it no longer reads/spins the DVD Disc.

1.) Is it mandatory/absolutely necessary to have the navigation screen & the screen above operating in order to pair/use the BT45-HON3?
2.)Even though the navigation display does not work, is there any chance that the small LED screen above the navigation unit display the music info?

THANKS IN ADVANCE
Old 12-28-2016, 09:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by williamv_ovoxo
I have a couple questions before I spend the $230 on the BT45-HON3.
Quick facts: I have an 06 TL Navi, My DVD Drive in the trunk crapped out on me so now my navi display does not show anything and the Screen above the navi unit doesn't display anything (radio station, volume, etc.) but the A/C Temperature, Modes & the things that pertain to the A/C System. My navi screen is not the problem it's the actual DVD Drive in the trunk as it no longer reads/spins the DVD Disc.

1.) Is it mandatory/absolutely necessary to have the navigation screen & the screen above operating in order to pair/use the BT45-HON3?
2.)Even though the navigation display does not work, is there any chance that the small LED screen above the navigation unit display the music info?

THANKS IN ADVANCE
have you checked any of the fuses for the top display screen (even though if some info is showing it's probably not a fuse)?

1: if your radio and stereo plays fine now, then it should play fine when you add the music device
2: if the radio info doesn't show now, then the music info probably won't show either.

on a related note, i'm selling my full isimple set if you're interested (send me a PM) that i used for 3 years on my navi setup. it shows the music info and everything on the small info bar. you would just have to buy the bluetooth adapter if you don't want to plug in your phone (call/email PAC audio and see which bluetooth adapter you need for isimple ishd571)
Old 12-31-2016, 01:20 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by sockr1
have you checked any of the fuses for the top display screen (even though if some info is showing it's probably not a fuse)?

1: if your radio and stereo plays fine now, then it should play fine when you add the music device
2: if the radio info doesn't show now, then the music info probably won't show either.

on a related note, i'm selling my full isimple set if you're interested (send me a PM) that i used for 3 years on my navi setup. it shows the music info and everything on the small info bar. you would just have to buy the bluetooth adapter if you don't want to plug in your phone (call/email PAC audio and see which bluetooth adapter you need for isimple ishd571)
I already installed my BT45-HON3
Old 01-11-2017, 08:09 PM
1st Gear

BT45 Install Help

I have installed the BT45-HON3 in my 06 Acura TL with Navigation. Everything works, I was able to pair my phone to the module, but it will now not let me switch to XM. I press the buttons and nothing happens, along with pressing the mode button on the steering wheel (just cycles through CD,FM,AM). Any advice? Also, I do not have the CAS-H3T cable attached due to install in the trunk.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:11 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Tyler707
I have installed the BT45-HON3 in my 06 Acura TL with Navigation. Everything works, I was able to pair my phone to the module, but it will now not let me switch to XM. I press the buttons and nothing happens, along with pressing the mode button on the steering wheel (just cycles through CD,FM,AM). Any advice? Also, I do not have the CAS-H3T cable attached due to install in the trunk.
i have mine installed in the trunk. When you press the XM button is there silence or does it just stay on CD, FM or AM)?
Old 02-14-2017, 04:56 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyler707
You may have a faulty device/cable. The system does a check up when you turn on the car and it disables the XM input. Check out this post https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-a.../#post10424928 to check.

You can disconnect the BT45 and turn on the power again to see if it is the problem. That way, you know it is the device and not your XM turner.

good luck
Old 02-21-2017, 09:43 AM
Intermediate

Does the music info display if I'm playing music through the default music app on my iPhone? Also, any advantages of getting the BT45-HON3 over the iSimple? I have a 08 TL base (non-navi) and only need Bluetooth streaming with steering wheel controls.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:49 PM
We Are Venom

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the isimple, it has the aux and 30 pin, I use this FRYS.com | DP Audio Video, and a usb car charger FRYS.com | LD. these options are also available on amazon. I can't justify buying this since i had the isimple. :/
Old 03-29-2017, 04:52 PM
7th Gear

Smile Just installed my BT-HON 07 TL / Non -navi

Piece of cake to install, about 15 minutes. Initially, I couldn't get the XM button to do anything. Went back checked connections. Same issue. Tried a 3rd time remembering reading on here somewhere that the Dipswitches they say to use, may not work. SO....Initially I was at 1&3 UP 2&4 Down. Nothin. So I turned off the car, unplugged the BTHON unit, put dips all up, which the instructions say won't pass audio data. Not only does it work really well, but I do pass artist, album song title info to the factory Head unit, but also the Steering Wheel controls work with Spotify. And in addition to all this, I have the Isimple installed behind the dash which I did a month after buying the car back in 2010. Plus retain factory Hands Free Link functionality. I had to adjust some things in my phone to allow it to connect to both BTHON for audio and HFL for Phone, but using a HTC M8, but it all works and sounds as good or better than my Isimple Ipod which I've been exceptionally pleased with. It also retains knob and button controls of the Isimple as well. Perfect. Couldn't have asked for better, except maybe having Acura offer it in the first place in 2007. Thanks to all who posted about this, with install and troubleshooting pics. Very helpful.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ljweller
Hi, I installed the BT45-HON3 in my 2005 Acura TL (non-nav). All works great and I can use the steering wheel controls. I have an iphone 7 Plus. The only problem is that when I answer a call using the steering wheel controls it tries to connect the call using the BT45-HON3 connection, not the HFL connection. I did not install the BT45-HON3 microphone and want to answer calls using HFL. Anybody else have this issue and how did you overcome it? I emailed USA SPEC and they said that it's an iphone issue, not BT45-HON3 issue (obviously). they said there are tutorials on how to fix this but didn't provide any further guidance. they said that normally what you would do is when you receive the first call after connecting, answer it directly from the phone, switch the connection on the phone call to HFL and then hang up using the steering wheel. After that, answer all calls using the steering wheel and it will connect the call to HFL. That did not work.
Yeah my unit does the same thing when i get calls in the car, so far the only thing that works for me is turning off bluetooth right away on my android call menu. Also these units do come with microphones if you would like to setup phone playback and recording on your BT45.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:19 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dookie320
You may have a faulty device/cable. The system does a check up when you turn on the car and it disables the XM input. Check out this post https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-a.../#post10424928 to check.

You can disconnect the BT45 and turn on the power again to see if it is the problem. That way, you know it is the device and not your XM turner.

good luck
Faulty devices are pretty common for these BT45's ive found out. My original one was D.O.A and it took my days of diagnoising to finally send it back, had the same symptoms that you're describing. Once they took care of the RMA and sent me a new one it has been funtioning flawlessly. USA spec handled the processes quickly and professionally so props to them for that.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:22 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just wondering how is everyone's sound quality on the module? I currently use a cassette adapter since i have an 06. Is the sound quality as good or better than the cassette adapter? How does it compare to a direct aux port plug in? Thanks guys
Old 06-07-2017, 03:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hobbez
Just wondering how is everyone's sound quality on the module? I currently use a cassette adapter since i have an 06. Is the sound quality as good or better than the cassette adapter? How does it compare to a direct aux port plug in? Thanks guys
Crystal clear sound quality through bluetooth or the aux plug in. If you think the cassette adapter sounds decent just wait until you listen to the USA spec. This module is perfect for me because i wanted highest quality bluetooth playback because i did not want to replace my oem deck.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:56 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Waffeey
Crystal clear sound quality through bluetooth or the aux plug in. If you think the cassette adapter sounds decent just wait until you listen to the USA spec. This module is perfect for me because i wanted highest quality bluetooth playback because i did not want to replace my oem deck.
Hey there, is there any trick on unplugging the harness in the trunk? I am having trouble taking mine out for some reason... can tips or trick at all?

Thanks and much appreciated!
Old 07-02-2017, 09:49 AM
9th Gear

According to their website, BT45-HON would be compatible with your model year.

I'd like to say I love mine. I have a 2007 and it is plug and play into the navi ecu in the trunk. I have had zero problems with it. Pairs everytime with my phone and streams music perfectly. According to people I've called, my voice comes in clear through the mic.
any help/advice on microphone placement for HON3 install in '05 TL. Or will all my dreams come true & use the existing HFL mic, etc...
Old 07-17-2017, 05:19 PM
Instructor

Yes, I'm using the BT for my phone calls as well. Honestly, I'm just too lazy to go into my phone settings to pair my phone calls to the HFL and streaming audio to the BT45 unit, so I just do it all through the BT45. In the instructions, it states that you can answer an incoming call on the steering wheel by pressing CH+ and hang up by pressing CH-. Changing audio tracks is the same process and it works flawlessly, so I'm assuming it'd work just as well with phone calls. I prefer to pick up my phone in hand and swipe the answer button on my phone since I have it in the cup holder. It also announces your have incoming call and reads off the number. The only caveat is if you're listening to the radio or your CD, you'll have to manually switch over the XM1 to utilize the bluetooth if you have a call coming in. It won't switch automatically.

And to answer your question about having XM, it takes over the XM1 tab, but leaves XM2 untouched. If you really wanted XM, you can use XM2.
Hi, I'm looking at the BT45 for a 2006 TL with Nav.

So, my big question is that I notice the unit comes with a microphone? I assume this will just use the factory microphone that the stock BT for the phone uses, or do you have to install the wired mic that comes with the kit somewhere?? I'd rather just use the factory microphone / location, and also confused how one runs a wired microphone if one is doing the trunk install. ??

I presume this means we will be using the BT45 for phone calls as well as streaming, which seems preferable.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:16 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by NSX_Lvr
Hi, I'm looking at the BT45 for a 2006 TL with Nav.

So, my big question is that I notice the unit comes with a microphone? I assume this will just use the factory microphone that the stock BT for the phone uses, or do you have to install the wired mic that comes with the kit somewhere?? I'd rather just use the factory microphone / location, and also confused how one runs a wired microphone if one is doing the trunk install. ??

I presume this means we will be using the BT45 for phone calls as well as streaming, which seems preferable.

You use the wired mic that comes with the unit. I ran the mic thru the backseats, along the door sills of the driver side and tucked it between the dash and A-pillar. It sits nice and tight without having to stick it down with the adhesive pad.

Name:  IMG_20170710_195658_zpsgz04vryr.jpg
Views: 8624
Size:  264.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20170710_195717_zpspq9tomkm.jpg
Views: 8576
Size:  287.2 KB
Old 07-17-2017, 07:13 PM
Instructor

Where is the factory mic located. I guess I'm not even sure. Would be great if I could wire it to the same location.

I did that in my previous Audi allroad, but it was sort of a PITA to get the wire there.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:37 PM
9th Gear

You use the wired mic that comes with the unit. I ran the mic thru the backseats, along the door sills of the driver side and tucked it between the dash and A-pillar. It sits nice and tight without having to stick it down with the adhesive pad.

Attachment 44617

Attachment 44618
Thanks for this! Was wondering where I could run the mic if I installed in the trunk. My HFL link seems sporadic, so I don't mind the thought of this going only through phone BT.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:00 AM
1st Gear

Sound is Scratchy and faint

Hello all, I purchased the BT45-hon3 roughly a year ago and had it installed behind the radio in my 05 TL with nav. It has worked seamlessly like many of you have said. Until Recently about a month ago, when my phone connected to it, it began to sound like a scratchy noise. As time went on it works and adjusts itself. Almost like an FM station that is scratchy then becomes clear. But in this case it becomes clear and not ever get scratchy again. Which is good, That is until I turn my car off and turn it back on. And the prices repeats. Now it has gotten to the point where it is scratchy and won't adjust itself at all, and on top of that it is now at such a low volume that I have to turn my volume all the way up and can still barely hear a scratchy sound of my music. This is extremely annoying and I haven't heard any clear music work for about 1 month using this device. I clearly have no idea what's going on and would greatly appreciate any help or advice. Thank you in advance!
Old 09-27-2017, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Does anyone know how to get the mic to the front of the car?
Old 09-27-2017, 02:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts

Attachment 44617

Attachment 44618
reading....do it
Old 09-27-2017, 02:30 PM
Instructor

geez

Originally Posted by thoiboi
reading....do it
I wired an amp for my subs and I passed the power, control, and subwoofer control wire through the drivers side lol I wonder if the power wire would affect the mic
Old 09-27-2017, 03:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
You'll likely have interference if you run it right along the power cables
Old 09-27-2017, 04:29 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I think this product sounds great but the support from the company is horrible so i'm out and do no recommend it to anyone. Note that the unit will need a SW update and they are not willing to provide it to the customers.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:21 PM
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts
Thanks OP, very easy install. Now I can advance tracks with steering wheel. This took less than 20 minutes to install in trunk. I did not need/install mic.

Previously, i had installed an aux jack near the stereo. Great sound quality but no ability to integrate with car and it took three hours to install.

2005 TL non-nav
Old 10-06-2017, 02:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine was working very well in '06 Non-Nav TL, but I've had troubles with it recently. I have no issues playing music or Audible through it, but when a call would come in the phone (iPhone 6) stopped working with the car's BT. I could make a call, but I couldn't receive one. Now I can't even make a call, but I think the problems may be due to IOS updates. The phone can't seem to switch between the car's BT and the BT45-HON3; it doesn't seem to know what to do. I was thinking of picking up an MP3 player with Bluetooth or even using a cheap Amazon Fire Tablet to play music and Audible books and only have the phone pair with the car.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:37 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
hey everyone...its been awhile since I have posted on this site! glad it is still active!! so it appears my HFL quit working recently...I can't get my iphone 7 to pair any longer...so I am looking at this unit. my main question is that I have an old ISIMPLE unit installed for my old school IPOD...it still works great I keep the IPOD on my glove compartment and use it from time to time. the ISIMPLE was installed by best buy in like 2007 or 2008.

my question is, can I install this unit (USA SPEC BT45-HON3) for mainly BT calling and some BT music and still have my ISIMPLE installed for IPOD support. I would like to still use my IPOD and the ISIMPLE not only connects the IPOD it also charges it (so using the AUX port of the USA SPEC BT45-HON3 won't charge IPOD). I am not sure if the ISIMPLE is installed in the truck or behind the radio.

thanks in advance guys.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JORTS
hey everyone...its been awhile since I have posted on this site! glad it is still active!! so it appears my HFL quit working recently...I can't get my iphone 7 to pair any longer...so I am looking at this unit. my main question is that I have an old ISIMPLE unit installed for my old school IPOD...it still works great I keep the IPOD on my glove compartment and use it from time to time. the ISIMPLE was installed by best buy in like 2007 or 2008.

my question is, can I install this unit (USA SPEC BT45-HON3) for mainly BT calling and some BT music and still have my ISIMPLE installed for IPOD support. I would like to still use my IPOD and the ISIMPLE not only connects the IPOD it also charges it (so using the AUX port of the USA SPEC BT45-HON3 won't charge IPOD). I am not sure if the ISIMPLE is installed in the truck or behind the radio.

thanks in advance guys.
Do you use the xm setting for the isimple?
Old 10-19-2017, 04:21 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 06.UA6SD
Do you use the xm setting for the isimple?
yes it does.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JORTS
yes it does.
Then I believe you're gonna have to choose one or the other. The bt45 connects the the xm module in the trunk so you're gonna have to use the xm channel to use it. I doubt you can use both isimple and bt45 on the same xm channel
Old 12-14-2017, 08:37 AM
Intermediate

First, thanks to the OP for posting!

I have 2 questions as I'm about to install:

1. Does anyone have a pic or video of the trunk panel removal to get to the XM? It looks to be simply removing the 2 bolted knobs that hold a cargo net and releasing the clip by the taillight, then wiggle and pull (see pics)? I have broken enough plastic clips I was unaware of in past vehicles, which is why I am asking :-).

2. Has anyone wired the optional USB/3.5 port to the opening where the factory 12v port under the radio sits? If so, any guidance on steps to do that? Will it be obvious once I remove the 2 long silver pieces of trim on either side of centre console?

Thanks!!

Old 12-20-2017, 07:08 PM
Cruisin'

It's pretty easy to access, along with those two clips for the net there's a few more under the all-weather liner and one on the 'roof' of the trunk (they all are exactly the same, minus the fact that the roof one you have to turn opposite to unscrew since it's upside-down). Then open the spare wheel access and pull up gently on the plastic liner along the rear of it. All one piece and has I think 4 plastic clips? They're pretty durable so don't worry about breaking them. That allows you to pull back the carpeting from the side to access the XM unit.

MAKE SURE YOU TEST EVERYTHING BEFORE PUTTING EVERYTHING BACK BECAUSE THIS SEEMS REALLY SIMPLE BUT IT'S A ROYAL P-I-T-A. I've had two bad units or harnesses and my sound only plays to the right-hand side of the car until I hit a good bump and it goes to all the speakers and then I hit another and back to only the right side. I'm back on aux cord for the moment. It's annoying as shit and can concur with others that USASpec's customer service is kinda crappy. I replaced the original one with Crutchfield who I bought it from and that was great, but it's been a few months since then so I'll probably have to RMA it through USASpec. Can't wait.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:33 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spiel08
It's pretty easy to access, along with those two clips for the net there's a few more under the all-weather liner and one on the 'roof' of the trunk (they all are exactly the same, minus the fact that the roof one you have to turn opposite to unscrew since it's upside-down). Then open the spare wheel access and pull up gently on the plastic liner along the rear of it. All one piece and has I think 4 plastic clips? They're pretty durable so don't worry about breaking them. That allows you to pull back the carpeting from the side to access the XM unit.

MAKE SURE YOU TEST EVERYTHING BEFORE PUTTING EVERYTHING BACK BECAUSE THIS SEEMS REALLY SIMPLE BUT IT'S A ROYAL P-I-T-A. I've had two bad units or harnesses and my sound only plays to the right-hand side of the car until I hit a good bump and it goes to all the speakers and then I hit another and back to only the right side. I'm back on aux cord for the moment. It's annoying as shit and can concur with others that USASpec's customer service is kinda crappy. I replaced the original one with Crutchfield who I bought it from and that was great, but it's been a few months since then so I'll probably have to RMA it through USASpec. Can't wait.
Thanks! Since posting I found some other vids and installed it the other day. For the issue with yours, are you sure all of your connections are fully engaged? When I hooked mine up and tried it for the first time, my nav screen was blank and no sound at all. I reseated all connections and tried again and worked perfectly. I did notice that I didn't get that satisfying clicking noise when making the harness connections to XM male and female plugs, so maybe that's the issue?

Haven't installed the aux cord yet - hopefully it will be obvious once I take off the long silver, easily breakable trim pieces :-)
Old 12-20-2017, 08:41 PM
Cruisin'

Oh my b!! Glad you got it in. My 08 has an aux input so I didn't need to run an AUX, I did run the mic though since my HFL went bad (shocker). Where are you putting the aux cord? In my experience with those trim pieces, they're sturdier than you think as long as you're gentle-ish.

I've been in and out of my GD trunk so many times and unplugged and replugged everything. I'll be back in there probably tomorrow since I'm driving 8 hours Friday and am not going to want to deal with it, so I'm hoping I can get everything working with the cable but who knows. At this point, I just want to find someone in ATL that can help me install a double-din and be done with the thing haha

Quick Reply: Acura TL 2006 w/Nav and USA Spec BT45-HON3 review