Acura TL 2006 w/Nav and USA Spec BT45-HON3 review

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 05:25 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Acura TL 2006 w/Nav and USA Spec BT45-HON3 review

Hello all. I recently purchased
USA Spec BT45-HON3 USA Spec BT45-HON3
control module for purpose of BT music streaming. I purchased this for BT streaming only, although it does support Hands-free calling also with included mic.

USA Spec BT45-HON3 in action, not my video

I do not recall if all 3G have hands-free but I wanted something that I could stream music to over BT and hopefully maintain factory hands-free. My main reasons for purchasing:

1. Wanted to stream music using BT
2. Wanted support for factory audio controls.
3. Was not willing to remove dash for install.
4. I do not care to have XM service
5. Keep factory Hands-Free.

I was not sure if #5 was obtainable with iPhone but was willing to try. I was not planning on running the mic so I figured worst case scenario, I would manually need to switch the BT connection to the car for calling/receiving or ignore the call . Some people feel the need to answer that call while driving. 99% of the time, it can probably wait.

Installation - Installation of the unit can be either behind the radio or piggy back off the XM tuner which is in the trunk of our cars. Since I did not want to pull the radio, I chose the XM tuner option

I did not take photos on the install as it was quite simple. I referenced the below video to remove the trunk liner. Not my video

Once the liner is moved out of the way, the XM tuner is mounted vertically, held in by 3, 10mm bolts. You can see the tuner in the video above at 2:48. You just loosen the 10mm bolts and slide the tuner out. At this point, you unplug the existing male connector, plug in the male connector from the BT45-HON3, and then original male connector into the female BT45-HOM3. Set the dip switches on the BT45-HOM3 (simple flowchart instructions tell you what is needed based on your tuner/radio setup). Plug the cable into the device and done! Now you just need to pair your phone/device with the BT45-HON3. If you wish to use the Mic, you would need to run that wire to the cabin.

I have an iPhone 6+ running iOS 9.0.2. When I paired it with the BT45-HON3, I was happy to see I was connected to both the BT45-HON3 and HandsFreeLink! This meant I was able to keep factory hands-free calling. No need to connect to HandsFreeLink manually between calls and back to stream music. So, reason #5 was obtained.

XM Audio Bleed - When I first connected, I found that I noticed I could hear the XM preview concurrently with my BT streaming audio. To correct this, I increased the volume on my phone and it washed out native XM feed. If I do not stream anything and turn my car stereo up high, you can hear it.

Overall, I am happy with the results, I obtained all my wants with a super simple install. There may be cheaper options but I have no problem with the money spent here.

Last edited by dookie320; 11-13-2015 at 05:27 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by dookie320:
ajcollier93 (12-29-2015), Andy74 (12-30-2015), EvilVirus (12-16-2015), ILLustriousUA6 (04-23-2016), KCee (02-22-2016), mabeyman (11-23-2015), treal512 (03-08-2017) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-15-2015, 11:36 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm thinking about getting this now for my newly acquired TL
Old 11-16-2015, 10:37 PM
Life Connoisseur

Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by dookie320
XM Audio Bleed - When I first connected, I found that I noticed I could hear the XM preview concurrently with my BT streaming audio. To correct this, I increased the volume on my phone and it washed out native XM feed. If I do not stream anything and turn my car stereo up high, you can hear it.
It literally takes about 10 minutes to pull the XM connector from behind the dash.

Remove center console garnish (two silver curved pieces); I used a small cat's paw.

Remove two screws under rubber and at bottom of center console, slide back.

Detach wiring harness clip on underside of center console. Detach cigarette lighter and light connectors.

Remove plastic screw at far right kick-panel under steering wheel (interior colored garnish), peel back remove two screws, remove one gold screw on driver's side on body colored trim just before cup-holders.

With panel removed on the driver's side, you can easily remove the XM radio connector. That "bleed" would be annoying as shit. I tried a "Y" harness and had the same bleed. Just pull the plug and install at rear of radio. Don't have to remove radio or anything more than the above.

Seeing as you heard the "preview," you're not using it anyway.

You can search for a PDF of the same instructions above.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:51 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for this write up. I have been looking at getting this set up ever since I got my TL a couple months ago.

Originally Posted by MonkeyTrucker
With panel removed on the driver's side, you can easily remove the XM radio connector. That "bleed" would be annoying as shit. I tried a "Y" harness and had the same bleed. Just pull the plug and install at rear of radio.
Sorry if I misunderstood you but are you saying that if you plug it in to the back of the head unit then there won't be the audio bleed?
Old 12-16-2015, 10:41 AM
Instructor

Hello,

I would like to give an update concerning the XM audio bleed. I was annoyed by this so decided to visit the vendor website faq:

Q: I can hear XM radio and media streaming playing at the same time.
A:Make sure you have disconnected the CAS-H3t cable from the CAS-H3x cable. DO NOT use the CAS-H3t cable if you're connecting to XM tuner

The key word here is disconnected.
I remember glancing over this statement on the instructions at the time of install . Only the last part caught my attention, "DO NOT use the CAS-H3t cable if you're connecting to XM tuner". I remember when installing thinking, hmm, I am missing a cable because I only saw one cable in the package labeled CAS-H3x, no CASE-H3t in sight. Luckily, it was the one I needed so I installed it. Turns out, cable CAS-H3t is an adapter already conencted to CAS-H3x.

Here is a picture from the vendor website. Left is Mic, center is BT45 and right is CAS-H3x and CAS-H3t conencted together. CAS-H3t is the section from the black connector up to the other black connector just right of the BT45 module.

I popped the trunk, unscrewed 5 hand screws and removed the plastic trim, pulled the carpet and removed the adapter.

Now, BT streaming only comes over XM1. XM2 now only receives the true XM feed, no BT. Also, no audio bleed coming from XM1. Truly user error on my part.

Also, previously I would notice when a track was playing, the display would show artist/album/track name etc. Then it would be overriden my XM song data. This is also a non-issue after correcting the connection.

It literally takes about 10 minutes to pull the XM connector from behind the dash.

Remove center console garnish (two silver curved pieces); I used a small cat's paw.

Detach wiring harness clip on underside of center console. Detach cigarette lighter and light connectors.

Remove plastic screw at far right kick-panel under steering wheel (interior colored garnish), peel back remove two screws, remove one gold screw on driver's side on body colored trim just before cup-holders.

With panel removed on the driver's side, you can easily remove the XM radio connector. That "bleed" would be annoying as shit. I tried a "Y" harness and had the same bleed. Just pull the plug and install at rear of radio. Don't have to remove radio or anything more than the above.

Thanks for the information. Personally, I still feel accessing through the trunk was much easier. No yoga poses sitting in the driver seat trying to access anything.
The following 3 users liked this post by dookie320:
ChristianRE (05-13-2019), ILLustriousUA6 (04-23-2016), Wolvdog98 (05-30-2022)
Old 12-16-2015, 11:01 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
Good job on the write up. Does it connect to your music instantly or do you have BT connectivity issues? I ask because my Grom does and this could be a better option for me.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:42 AM
Instructor

No connectivity issues at all. I have an iPhone 6+ 9.0.2 jailbroken. Shortly after I start the car, within 5 seconds, I hear a female voice prompt "Connected" through the speakers when on XM channel. I have been listening to audio books of late so it usually starts playing it immediately after. Since the initial pairing, I have never had to manually connect to the device.
The following users liked this post:
EvilVirus (02-21-2016)
Old 12-17-2015, 09:58 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Great post. Thanks for the review. I might have to consider this upgrade. I have the previous gen adapter that doesn't have bluetooth functionality, but would surely like the bluetooth features.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by skadoo323
Great post. Thanks for the review. I might have to consider this upgrade. I have the previous gen adapter that doesn't have bluetooth functionality, but would surely like the bluetooth features.
I used to have an older model that would drain my car battery two days later when not in use. After replacing a battery and disconnecting hfl, I then realized the culprit was actually that device, not sure if its Isimple or that us-spec one anymore but after removing it I had no more issues at all.

I do miss the connectivity but im hesitant to go with another similar product.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:03 PM
Advanced

Hi dookie320, I installed the BT45-HON3 and have it installed behind the radio/nav system. Everything works except I can't change tracks via the steering wheel controls or the radio when using the iOS music app on an iPhone 6s. Odd thing is when using another music app, such as Spotify I can change tracks just fine. Did you run into anything like this?
Old 12-22-2015, 03:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by skadoo323
Hi dookie320, I installed the BT45-HON3 and have it installed behind the radio/nav system. Everything works except I can't change tracks via the steering wheel controls or the radio when using the iOS music app on an iPhone 6s. Odd thing is when using another music app, such as Spotify I can change tracks just fine. Did you run into anything like this?
Just a FYI, I got a replacement and it works fine.
The following users liked this post:
ILLustriousUA6 (04-23-2016)
Old 12-30-2015, 08:40 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you for posting this, I was able to install the module in under 20 minutes. The Bluetooth module is nicely tucked-away behind the trunk liner. The system is flawless, works as good as a factory Bluetooth module we have in our newer Toyota. iPod music, Pandora works with text display. Some other radio apps that I listen to stream without an issue (although no text is displayed on the screen, as expected).

Overall - I couldn't be happier with this and I should've done this a long time ago.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:24 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Awesome, I looked into this and since it plugs into the XM tuner, Canadian TLs from 04-06 don't have XM so this isn't compatible
Old 01-30-2016, 02:54 PM
Instructor

My update after about a month of using: the unit works great, but I experience occasional reboot of the Navi screen (the auto continues to play). Anyone else getting the same issue with their unit? I installed it in the trunk.

Thanks.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:35 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy74
My update after about a month of using: the unit works great, but I experience occasional reboot of the Navi screen (the auto continues to play). Anyone else getting the same issue with their unit? I installed it in the trunk.

Thanks.
I get that too, but with the unit installed in the front. I don't think it's necessarily an issue with the BT45, but moreso maybe our navi units are getting older and slower?
Old 02-02-2016, 10:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimmyfu
I get that too, but with the unit installed in the front. I don't think it's necessarily an issue with the BT45, but moreso maybe our navi units are getting older and slower?
There are plenty of users experiencing the same behavior. I never had any issue before installing the BT45-HON3 unit, but it started happening right after install. There is no fix as far as I can tell. Mine is not very frequent, and I don't use NAVI that much, so I decided to live with it.

here is a post from years ago, TSX forum.

USA-Spec Causing Navi Reboot - Acura TSX Forum
Old 02-18-2016, 04:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Andy74

Thanks.
This has happened to me twice. It did not occur at all until after I installed the BT45
Old 02-22-2016, 09:32 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My thanks for this review. I installed a BT45 into my '06 non-Nav TL this weekend and so far it works well. I had no desire to take my dash apart and installing this in the trunk was pretty easy.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:01 PM
9th Gear

A question to those who have this unit...

Have any of you determined (if there is one) the difference between the BT45-HON and the BT45-ACU besides the price difference? One is supposedly for Honda and one Acura but I would assume they are one and the same.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:09 PM
9th Gear

Oops, nvm about my previous post. The ACU accommodates for live traffic for Acura vehicles.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:16 PM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
I had just ordered this product and should be coming in on Monday. Thanks for the clear instructions!
Old 06-12-2016, 08:06 AM
Instructor

Trunk install on an '05' TL

Thanks for the great information. Does anyone know if this setup/install will work on an 05 TL with navigation. MaInly the trunk install. For some reason I was thinking that the 06 changed some things in and the set up was different.

Would love over to do this, but I am a little worried about taking apart my dash! Would much rather go through the trunk!!!

thanks in advance for any insight.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:23 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Bob05tl
Thanks for the great information. Does anyone know if this setup/install will work on an 05 TL with navigation. MaInly the trunk install. For some reason I was thinking that the 06 changed some things in and the set up was different.

Would love over to do this, but I am a little worried about taking apart my dash! Would much rather go through the trunk!!!

thanks in advance for any insight.

According to their website, BT45-HON would be compatible with your model year.

I'd like to say I love mine. I have a 2007 and it is plug and play into the navi ecu in the trunk. I have had zero problems with it. Pairs everytime with my phone and streams music perfectly. According to people I've called, my voice comes in clear through the mic.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:08 PM
Instructor

You are good for 05 as long as you have an xm tuner. (Non-Canadian)
Old 06-13-2016, 08:02 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the response. Just to be clear, I can do the same install through the truck as yours? I believe Acura added a couple of things to the 06 vs the 05, (i.e. TPS) but I believe most is the same. I know they changed a lot in the 07/08 models (Dash setup - colors / steering wheel etc.).
Old 06-13-2016, 08:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by chau003
According to their website, BT45-HON would be compatible with your model year.

I'd like to say I love mine. I have a 2007 and it is plug and play into the navi ecu in the trunk. I have had zero problems with it. Pairs everytime with my phone and streams music perfectly. According to people I've called, my voice comes in clear through the mic.
So are you using their BT for your phone calls as well? I would prefer to keep the stock HFL unless there are so many additional/better features that it makes sense to utilize theirs. I would love to be able to speak to call my contacts. Currently, I can do it through Siri and then as the call connects I switch the Audio source manually from phone to HFL.

Also, with the phone piece, do you still have the ability to utilize your steering wheel controls? I have read earlier that the controls work for the music portion, but wanted to confirm the phone portion.

Thanks in advance for your response.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:16 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the response. Just to be clear, I can do the same install through the truck as yours? I believe Acura added a couple of things to the 06 vs the 05, (i.e. TPS) but I believe most is the same. I know they changed a lot in the 07/08 models (Dash setup - colors / steering wheel etc.).
Yes
Old 06-13-2016, 10:43 AM
Instructor

Yes
Perfect, Thanks!!! Looks like I will be ordering one up!!!
Old 06-13-2016, 10:55 AM
Instructor

One last question. In your earlier post, you mentioned BT through XM1 and Satellite through XM2. Are you able to still subscribe/recieve XM radio with this unit installed. I was under the impression that it was one or the other. I don't currently have XM active, but would be nice if I ever did want it, I still could.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:25 PM
9th Gear

So are you using their BT for your phone calls as well? I would prefer to keep the stock HFL unless there are so many additional/better features that it makes sense to utilize theirs. I would love to be able to speak to call my contacts. Currently, I can do it through Siri and then as the call connects I switch the Audio source manually from phone to HFL.

Also, with the phone piece, do you still have the ability to utilize your steering wheel controls? I have read earlier that the controls work for the music portion, but wanted to confirm the phone portion.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Yes, I'm using the BT for my phone calls as well. Honestly, I'm just too lazy to go into my phone settings to pair my phone calls to the HFL and streaming audio to the BT45 unit, so I just do it all through the BT45. In the instructions, it states that you can answer an incoming call on the steering wheel by pressing CH+ and hang up by pressing CH-. Changing audio tracks is the same process and it works flawlessly, so I'm assuming it'd work just as well with phone calls. I prefer to pick up my phone in hand and swipe the answer button on my phone since I have it in the cup holder. It also announces your have incoming call and reads off the number. The only caveat is if you're listening to the radio or your CD, you'll have to manually switch over the XM1 to utilize the bluetooth if you have a call coming in. It won't switch automatically.

And to answer your question about having XM, it takes over the XM1 tab, but leaves XM2 untouched. If you really wanted XM, you can use XM2.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by chau003
Yes, I'm using the BT for my phone calls as well. Honestly, I'm just too lazy to go into my phone settings to pair my phone calls to the HFL and streaming audio to the BT45 unit, so I just do it all through the BT45. In the instructions, it states that you can answer an incoming call on the steering wheel by pressing CH+ and hang up by pressing CH-. Changing audio tracks is the same process and it works flawlessly, so I'm assuming it'd work just as well with phone calls. I prefer to pick up my phone in hand and swipe the answer button on my phone since I have it in the cup holder. It also announces your have incoming call and reads off the number. The only caveat is if you're listening to the radio or your CD, you'll have to manually switch over the XM1 to utilize the bluetooth if you have a call coming in. It won't switch automatically.

And to answer your question about having XM, it takes over the XM1 tab, but leaves XM2 untouched. If you really wanted XM, you can use XM2.
Perfect, Thanks!!!

Last annoying question. I have an iPhone 6 and in my ford and BMW, I can just push and hold Siri while paired and it will go through my car audio. This is great because once it connects, I can do everything hands free (i.e. read text messages and reply, select song / Track / Playlist). Not sure if you have an iphone, but was wondering if that might work as well with this setup. This would be another reason to install the microphone if for nothing else than to have this added hands free capability.

Thanks again for all the information...
Old 06-14-2016, 07:43 AM
9th Gear

I don't have an iphone but it sounds like your ford and bmw have that function integrated from factory. Won't be able to do that with the bt45.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:10 AM
Instructor

No connectivity issues at all. I have an iPhone 6+ 9.0.2 jailbroken. Shortly after I start the car, within 5 seconds, I hear a female voice prompt "Connected" through the speakers when on XM channel. I have been listening to audio books of late so it usually starts playing it immediately after. Since the initial pairing, I have never had to manually connect to the device.
Dookie320, Since you have an iPhone, can you see if the follow works?!

I have an iPhone 6 and in my ford and BMW, I can just push and hold Siri while paired and it will go through my car audio. This is great because once it connects, I can do everything hands free (i.e. read text messages and reply, select song / Track / Playlist). Not sure if you have an iphone, but was wondering if that might work as well with this setup. This would be another reason to install the microphone if for nothing else than to have this added hands free capability.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:20 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there a video or thread with details or pics on how to do this. Since I am adding the mic for calls and an additional USB AUX cable to hook directly through, this would be much easier if I didn't have to run it all from the trunk.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:32 PM
Advanced

Tried to install this today and has been shit.

I do NOT suggest this product to anyone who wants to do only a trunk install without first testing your XM prior to ordering this product. If you press XM and hear the demo channell you can install it in your trunk. If you press the XM button and nothing happens, you CAN NOT INSTALL THIS IN YOUR TRUNK. You will still have to take apart your dash and install it throug the radio, which USASPEC calls install "b".

I wasnt aware there was an "install B", that means you have to tear your dash apart. Had I known that I would not have ordered this. Buyer beware.

*edit, I also have a 2006 with Navi
Old 06-22-2016, 11:17 PM
Advanced

Took open the side of my dash to install this product. Was a PITA but got it done. Worked okay. Went in the house to get my wallet, now my car is completely dead won't start won't turn won't do anything nothing works.

I am so pissed right now.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:03 PM
Advanced

Had a friend come over, something happened with the theft deterrent. I had to jump the battery reset the navigation and radio and theft codes, not sure why.

Here is the bottom line -

The USAPEC now streams bluetooth, but it does not show any track information. I also can not skip songs or control the USASPEC. If I got a phone call i have to answer it from my phone.

I wouldnt recommend this product to anyone. The final results is yes it streams the music, but with no controls and no way to answer the phone its not worth it. I am going to look at other optionsand probably return it.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:14 PM
Instructor

One last question. In your earlier post, you mentioned BT through XM1 and Satellite through XM2. Are you able to still subscribe/recieve XM radio with this unit installed. I was under the impression that it was one or the other. I don't currently have XM active, but would be nice if I ever did want it, I still could.
I do not subscribe to XM. However, XM2 still plays the XM preview, so it should still work with a subscription.

Dookie320, Since you have an iPhone, can you see if the follow works?!

I have an iPhone 6 and in my ford and BMW, I can just push and hold Siri while paired and it will go through my car audio. This is great because once it connects, I can do everything hands free (i.e. read text messages and reply, select song / Track / Playlist). Not sure if you have an iphone, but was wondering if that might work as well with this setup. This would be another reason to install the microphone if for nothing else than to have this added hands free capability.

When I activate Siri it is "listening" over the Acura Hands Free but I did not initiate it with a push of the button to make a call. Basically I am talking to a phone that doesn't hear anything. I didn't push the HFK button because I assume the TL will try to process my voice command instead of passing it onto the phone. Maybe it works differently if you use the HFK on the device, not sure. Basically, it does not work as you described in your Ford/BMW with the factory HFK.

Originally Posted by Christopher Dasconio
Tried to install this today and has been shit.

I do NOT suggest this product to anyone who wants to do only a trunk install without first testing your XM prior to ordering this product. If you press XM and hear the demo channell you can install it in your trunk. If you press the XM button and nothing happens, you CAN NOT INSTALL THIS IN YOUR TRUNK. You will still have to take apart your dash and install it throug the radio, which USASPEC calls install "b".

I wasnt aware there was an "install B", that means you have to tear your dash apart. Had I known that I would not have ordered this. Buyer beware.

*edit, I also have a 2006 with Navi
I would think this is obvious as something is wrong with your XM tuner and not the BT45-HON3. Giving a negative review of a product dependent on a functioning XM tuner does not make much sense. Thats like giving tires a poor review because your engine wont start.

Originally Posted by Christopher Dasconio
Had a friend come over, something happened with the theft deterrent. I had to jump the battery reset the navigation and radio and theft codes, not sure why.

Here is the bottom line -

The USAPEC now streams bluetooth, but it does not show any track information. I also can not skip songs or control the USASPEC. If I got a phone call i have to answer it from my phone.

I wouldnt recommend this product to anyone. The final results is yes it streams the music, but with no controls and no way to answer the phone its not worth it. I am going to look at other optionsand probably return it.
I have no problems you described.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:27 AM
1st Gear

What does your music screen on the main navi screen and the top screen small screen show when xm is playing? Mine will show the track for maybe a second and then it displays the 1800 number to resign up for xm radio which is annoying. Also shows xm preview?
Old 07-09-2016, 10:55 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by whodtthr
What does your music screen on the main navi screen and the top screen small screen show when xm is playing? Mine will show the track for maybe a second and then it displays the 1800 number to resign up for xm radio which is annoying. Also shows xm preview?

If I remember correctly, the top mini screen will scroll the name of the song initially and then stay at "XM1-4". The main navi screen will show artist info, song title, sometimes album title depending on the tags. I stream music from spotify.

Edit: If the next song doesn't have a tag for one of the fields (name, artist, etc..) it will show the previous song's tag in that field until the next song that has a tag for that field fills it.

Quick Reply: Acura TL 2006 w/Nav and USA Spec BT45-HON3 review