ACURA TL 2006 Bluetooth Unit (HFL)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 05:59 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question ACURA TL 2006 Bluetooth Unit (HFL)

Hi Everyone,

The HFL in my 2006 TL is dead. I know because it does not respond and the area is warm even when the car is off overnight. So I need to buy another one to replace it. Meanwhile I thought I seek some assistance to see if I could get a newer upgraded module to solve these two issues:

1) My existing module never worked with any of my Samsung phones (Galaxy S4 and Galaxy S5). It just never found to pair the phone. It would just search and never find it. I started a thread without proper response so I am thinking maybe my unit was bad because not very many had this issue.

2) I always wanted a unit that I could use to send music form my phone to the car. I think a year later they added this option in 2007 models but the 2006 models don't have that feature.

Is there a unit that I can buy that does both options above? Maybe upgraded to do more stuff? If not, where is the best place to buy the standard unit? I don't even know the part number and not many options on eBay.

Thank you so much for all your comments!!

Old 10-19-2015, 06:32 PM
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts
I'm not sure the unit are interchangeable. I too wanted to be able to stream music over bluetooth, i asked around when i first got the car about 3 years ago and was told the HFL is only a component of a system, and changing that would not add bluetooth streaming. I ended up buying a GROM module and plugged in a bluetooth receiver to it and now i can talk and stream. Only downside is no idea whos calling unless the phone is visible, the plus side is my call quality is actually improved...not sure why, but it seems as if the receiver cancels echo and cabin noise better than the HFL. I too have issues with Samsung phone, except my S4 and S5 worked, my S6 and Note 5 dont. Never figured out why, i was able to go through entire pairing process but when it got to naming the device, it would disconnect.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:30 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
The 07/08 TL don't have bluetooth music streaming.
Even if they did, the modules aren't interchangeable unfortunately.

If you want a good alternative, I can vouch for the iSimple ishd651.
You can hook up your android or iphone and stream music WITH full steering wheel control and integration (song name, etc show up). and you can also listen to music by plugging in your phone if you don't want bluetooth streaming. It has a mic for bluetooth function which is the best part, something you need to replace the HFL.

My friend who removed his HFL module (it was killing his battery) went with the ishd651.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:28 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 95 Posts
You could get yours repaired for about $45 or get one new online for about $200. Another aftermarket solution is the USA-Spec BT45ACU. This one is nice because it plugs into the XM module in the trunk, no need to take half the center console apart.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:51 AM
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by eastcoastguy
You could get yours repaired for about $45 or get one new online for about $200. Another aftermarket solution is the USA-Spec BT45ACU. This one is nice because it plugs into the XM module in the trunk, no need to take half the center console apart.
Even if he did repair it, hed still be stuck with the annoying problem of his phone not pairing up. I do vouch for an aftermarket solution but isnt that module good for TLs with live traffic? Didnt live traffic start in 07?
Old 10-21-2015, 10:20 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
The 07/08 TL don't have bluetooth music streaming.
Even if they did, the modules aren't interchangeable unfortunately.

If you want a good alternative, I can vouch for the iSimple ishd651.
You can hook up your android or iphone and stream music WITH full steering wheel control and integration (song name, etc show up). and you can also listen to music by plugging in your phone if you don't want bluetooth streaming. It has a mic for bluetooth function which is the best part, something you need to replace the HFL.

My friend who removed his HFL module (it was killing his battery) went with the ishd651.
Thanks. How does that work wot phone calls? Does it show up on the screen like whose calling? Do I need anything more than the base $108 kit?
Old 10-22-2015, 03:18 PM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by polish_pat
Even if he did repair it, hed still be stuck with the annoying problem of his phone not pairing up. I do vouch for an aftermarket solution but isnt that module good for TLs with live traffic? Didnt live traffic start in 07?
Your right, he would still have that issue. And again you are right, it is for TL's with live traffic and that did start with the '07's. My bad!!!!!