6.25 speaker recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Practically nothing is going to be a bolt-in. 6.25", 6.5", 6.75", and 7" are all commonly used in these doors. Actual measurements will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. My old Dyn650s were I believe called a "7" speaker and in reality they were on the small side for a 6.5". All will require some form of modificaton. 99% of us use a MDF baffle that adapts the speaker to the door and lessens the amount of cutting you have to do to the door. The factory cutout is in a "D" shape, the only aftermarket speakers I know of that will fit this using the factory hardware is Infinity since they use the small neo magnets and I highly recommend against Infinity. At a minimum, be prepared to make an adapter ring and cut some metal to make the D into a circle. I ended up going with a 9" midbass. It's not much more work and it has several important advantages. Of course, you wouldn't want to use one in a 2 way setup unless you have a really good tweeter that can play low.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:50 PM
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
I agree about Fry's. I know they are high but I heard several speakers for free. haha I mean just to compare between speakers on the same board and system.

But If I was going to get an isimple orUSAspec, I would not have bought an 07/08 TL-S radio. I don't like theway those devices integrate. You generally lose XMradio or there isfrequency interference. I don't want to run with a quick fix and have it break. I've seen many break and heard all the complaints. Sure it may add another port for this or that, but I do not find it as valuable as just doing a bit of homework and connecting the newer radio that alreadyhas the ability to display CD text. Plus I can do MP3's right fromthe CD. I think MP3 quality is better than a mere "left andright" channel that is used to import music from the XM feed. Mpeg-2 goes up to 5.1 channels. And I think the only wayto hear that would be through the cd player. Any transmission of anmp3 through a “left and right” the mp3 is decoded and converted to analogand sent to the radio unit. So, you can't get the best sound throughany aux port whether it be factory or 3rd party.

Anyway... regardless, I ain't going with a 3rd party gizmo. They are kinda cool, and easy to use, but I prefer the factory method because its cleaner, Plus I can still get CDtext. At least from what I hear, the 07/08 does CD text. And I already have 90% of my plain cd's are written with CD text. And if it does Cd text, I think it is highly likely it will read the mp3 IDtag. And if I want to create a rewritable cd with nothing but mp3's, well there ya go.. But I will still have the factory auxport. And I should be able to play music from my cell phone through the factory aux port. The factory aux port is only 2 channels but that is no different than an isimple or Usaspec which has to take away Xm radio because my 05 radio does not have an aux port.. Grrr.. Plus the new radio only cost $145. Probably close to the same price as isimple or usaspec but I also get afew other features on the newer radio, like WMA and Dolby prologic, even thoughI may not ever use it. Haha Its still cool to see it there. Oh, the radio is red too. And I have purchased new bulbs for the nav unit too.. And yes I like red. Just google “acurazine supercomputer sill” and tell me Steve Bell’s red interior doesn’t look good. Uh huh. haha

Last edited by Chad05TL; 07-14-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Are you getting the Polks? The JL C5 set is one of the best for the money I've ever heard. They're not cheap but they sound better than some speakers that cost double what they cost. Just throwing it out there because I wasted a whole bunch of money buying speakers over and over until I finally got the right ones.

Have you started the install of the new headunit yet?
Old 07-14-2013, 11:00 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Practically nothing is going to be a bolt-in. 6.25", 6.5", 6.75", and 7" are all commonly used in these doors. Actual measurements will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. My old Dyn650s were I believe called a "7" speaker and in reality they were on the small side for a 6.5". All will require some form of modificaton. 99% of us use a MDF baffle that adapts the speaker to the door and lessens the amount of cutting you have to do to the door. The factory cutout is in a "D" shape, the only aftermarket speakers I know of that will fit this using the factory hardware is Infinity since they use the small neo magnets and I highly recommend against Infinity. At a minimum, be prepared to make an adapter ring and cut some metal to make the D into a circle. I ended up going with a 9" midbass. It's not much more work and it has several important advantages. Of course, you wouldn't want to use one in a 2 way setup unless you have a really good tweeter that can play low.
Ya, I am not getting the infinity's. Thanks for the info on "pretty much everything wont fit". That leaves me up to getting "pretty much anything I want".. ahha ya know? I mean if nothing fits, then a mod is in order.. I hate those kind of deals. But that's how it is I guess. "D" must mean "Doesn't help" .. haha

But I don't understand 9" midbass. You don't really have a 9" speaker in the door do you?
Old 07-14-2013, 11:07 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Are you getting the Polks? The JL C5 set is one of the best for the money I've ever heard. They're not cheap but they sound better than some speakers that cost double what they cost. Just throwing it out there because I wasted a whole bunch of money buying speakers over and over until I finally got the right ones.

Have you started the install of the new headunit yet?
I like the Polks ok. But not sure what I want yet. I would like to find some MB Quart on display somewhere and see how they sound on current models.

I have Started yes, but I have not installed the headunit yet. Everything is removed. I keep finding things to do. As I said in a few posts back, I am making a converter harness from 26p to 40p. And 1 connecter is coming in next week. Also the antenna converter is coming in next week. And in this process I found something I want to remove.. that brake feature thing that clicks every time you press on the brake. It's going bye-bye. I may have to trick the system though, like I did my seat belt chime.

The JL -C5 speakers seem to have a very bright tweeter. Like too much. I like it softer. I may just take all that stuff apart back there and mask off half the tweeter. I don't mind the rest of the speaker. But you know what! my opinion may change after I get the front speakers installed because of the way I have to adjust the "over all high frequencies" of the system to balance out the front and the rear.. you know what I mean? I may be able to re-adjust the system after the new front speaker are installed, so the rear's wont have to be so bright. I'll have to play it by ear.. "no pun" haha

Last edited by Chad05TL; 07-14-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
You gave coaxials in the rear? I am not sure what your refering to with the 07/08 radio. That just has the 3.5 mm aux input. iSimple will allow increased connectivity. Never had a single issue with mine. Charges the device. No loss of XM and no interference? It is not intended to provide the best source material.