3sixty.2 gets my approval!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 10:16 AM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
3sixty.2 gets my approval!

I had been running the system listed in my signature (minus the 3sixty.2) since this summer, and I was very happy with the results. I designed it to be a SQ system, but I still like the occasional SPL as well.

The whole time however, I felt like the bass output wasn't quite at the level it should be. I had a hunch that it could have been the OEM signal, but wasn't for sure.

I went ahead and bought the 3sixty.2 just to be able to fine tune everything. I had done testing with my trusty Radio Shack SPL meter and Rives Audio test CD, and knew that I had some peaks and valleys.

I installed the 3sixty.2, and ran the OEM integration which flattens out the equalization that is done in the OEM signal path. From there I would at least have a relatively flat signal that I could work with.

Before even breaking out the test tones and meter, I noticed that the sound quality had definitely been improved, and the imaging had gotten much better because of the ability to adjust time delay. It really gave me a good signal to show off the capabilities of the Rainbow speakers.

What I looked forward to most was to flatten out the subwoofer frequencies to see what kind of difference it would make. After running test tones and making a few minor adjustments, I had almost a perfectly flat response from 25hz to 80hz. Now it was time to do some listening.

My initial theory was correct...it WAS the oem system that was holding back the bass response! The OEM equalization is volume dependent, and the 3sixty.2 does away with this. With all amp output voltages being the same, I would have sworn that I picked up another 100~200 watts of amplification! It was a tremendous difference in bass output...both in headroom, and sound quality. The bass is much fuller and more natural sounding (flat bass curve) than with just using a LOC.

I'll do a bit more tuning, and save difference EQ curves for different kinds of music, but in the meantime I am quite impressed with the 3sixty.2.

So, if your setup for an aftermarket sub includes your basic LOC, you're definitely missing out on some serious potential in both SQ and SPL! If you've got a couple of thousand watts being thrown at it however, then you're probably OK (with the exception of improved SQ).
Old 12-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad you're as happy as I've been...
Old 12-14-2007, 01:54 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to eventually put a 3sixty (or something similar) in, but for the time being I'm just doing an LOC style system. I'll be using the JL 500/1 for my sub, and it has a pretty nice parametric bass EQ. Do you have any sort of detailed info on what the stock system is doing to the bass range? Perhaps I can set the bass boost to counteract it...

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2007, 02:22 PM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jayekub
I'd like to eventually put a 3sixty (or something similar) in, but for the time being I'm just doing an LOC style system. I'll be using the JL 500/1 for my sub, and it has a pretty nice parametric bass EQ. Do you have any sort of detailed info on what the stock system is doing to the bass range? Perhaps I can set the bass boost to counteract it...

Thanks!
Depending on the flexibility you have, you'll be able to flatten it out a bit, but you'll still be limited. The stock EQ curve is volume dependent...meaning it changes as the volume goes up. The popular theory is that it reduces bass output as the volume goes up.

The only way that I know of to really analyze it would be to run the 3sixty OEM integration about 30 different times (vol 1 to vol 30 for instance) and compare the before and after curves. I might do it at 2 or 3 volumes to figure out what works best, but I'm not that interested in it to spend a whole day...

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you'll get good bass out of your setup, but you'll still be leaving plenty on the table.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:02 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hah yea. Well what I am really interested in is just an idea of what your bass EQ curve looks like at a normal listening volume...to get an idea of what I'd need to do at the amp to flatten it out. Sampling the OEM EQ function at 30 different volumes is a bit overkill

Anyway, I think I'll be able to do okay just tuning it by ear with test tones.

I'm curious about the 3sixty--does OEM integration not take into account volume? I guess it has no real way
of detecting it...

How do you interface with yours? Palm Pilot?