2013 Nexus 7 DIY Install in Type S with Reverse Camera

Old 05-21-2018, 08:02 PM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by peter6
Do you have access to the power button? If so just hold it until something happens.

Try double tapping on the screen, cycling power couple times, etc. Otherwise get to the power button.
Unfortunately no, no access to it. Think I'll just park it out in the sun for a few days to totally kill the battery, then it'll be able to finally boot up. Definitely should have made that cut out for the power button
Old 05-21-2018, 08:11 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
I think it should be in bold and capital letters to make a hole on the top of the frame to access the power button.

I too ran into the problem where my tablet went to sleep and wouldn't turn on with the car even though it had plenty of juice. I hated myself for not cutting the hole up top in the first place.
Took everything apart, cut a hole into the top, pressed the power button, bam tablet woke back up. I can't remember the events that led up to cause the tablet to not wake up like normal... wish I did but I don't have to worry about it anymore with the access hole up top.

Came in handy when I got my car back from the transmission shop with the same problem - went into a empty parking lot, popped the vent off, pressed the power button with a skinny screwdriver, good to go.

Haven't had to use it since but glad it's there.

Last edited by guitarplayer16; 05-21-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 489 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by hamburglar490
Unfortunately no, no access to it. Think I'll just park it out in the sun for a few days to totally kill the battery, then it'll be able to finally boot up. Definitely should have made that cut out for the power button
If you let the battery discharge, tablet will turn off. You will need to press the power button anyways, so you might need to revise your installation.
I know, it hurts. I "revised" mine about 4 times. Right now I probably could tear down the center console blindfolded.

Depending how much you need to remove, you might want to extend the power and volume buttons like I and others did.
Just in case if it happens again.

I put those buttons in the glovebox. Now it's easy to turn the tablet on or off if I would need to, or go to the recovery, etc.
The following users liked this post:
sockr1 (05-21-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 05:22 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What hub did you use? i got the one listed in this thread but my nexus 7 isnt recognizing it. The hub works, I tested it, but when plugged into the OTG cable, it doesnt send any data. Is something need for the nexus 7 to recognize the hub?

I tested everything individually (EASYCAP, DAC, etc). They all work but when routed through the hub, they don't work.

did you experience this at all?

Cliff
Old 05-23-2018, 08:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Clifbarz
What hub did you use? i got the one listed in this thread but my nexus 7 isnt recognizing it. The hub works, I tested it, but when plugged into the OTG cable, it doesnt send any data. Is something need for the nexus 7 to recognize the hub?

I tested everything individually (EASYCAP, DAC, etc). They all work but when routed through the hub, they don't work.

Cliff
I did get that with one of the USB extension cables, the hub would only get recognized if I half connected it (don't fully push the USB male/female ends together. Trying the other USB extension cable worked fine though fully connected
Old 05-23-2018, 10:54 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
If you let the battery discharge, tablet will turn off. You will need to press the power button anyways.
Hey just a heads up, this is not necessarily true. It isn't a default setting though, so I just want to mention this in case others are not aware of this mod.
Simply type this command in the shell when you're setting things up:

"fastboot oem off-mode-charge 0"

This will make your device boot up (if it's off) when you connect power to it. It's a life saver for fixed installs if your device shuts down or dies and you don't have access to the power button.
peter6 (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 11:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by UA7X
Hey just a heads up, this is not necessarily true. It isn't a default setting though, so I just want to mention this in case others are not aware of this mod.
Simply type this command in the shell when you're setting things up:

"fastboot oem off-mode-charge 0"

This will make your device boot up (if it's off) when you connect power to it. It's a life saver for fixed installs if your device shuts down or dies and you don't have access to the power button.
If that works, it's actually a quite useful info. It requires connecting the tablet to the computer tho, so if somebody did the mod already it might be too late.
Any idea if the command can be run from the tablet, for example using terminal emulator?
Old 05-24-2018, 12:05 AM
Race Director

It's useful info, thats why sockr1 listed it in his DIY as a step

Another thing I think should be capitalized and bolded.
Has to be run from PC terminal unfortunately, for the people who have already installed their tablet.

Cliff
hamburglar is right, I experienced the same thing with the "Amazon basics" USB extensions, had to plug it in half way or something for it to work.
I ended up returning it to Amazon explaining that it was defective and chose a Monoprice one on Amazon and didn't get the problem.

Last edited by guitarplayer16; 05-24-2018 at 12:18 AM.
sockr1 (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 12:30 AM
Race Director

The fastboot command works wonders but if you have short drives like I do, you'll be stuck in an endless cycle of starting up your car in the morning, android boots (thanks to the command), drive to work and have the tablet charge to like 5%, then overnight it dies again. The next morning, same cycle. Over and over.

Best solution (in addition to the fastboot command) is to wire a switch to a constant power fuse using diodes. I can charge and wake my tablet without the car being on.
I'll just flip the switch to wake my tablet, go into PEM, double tap the screen to turn off the screen, carry on my day, come back in hours and see my tablet is 100%. Flip switch off, tablet goes to sleep.
I do this every time my tablet gets low like 20%.

Not only is it handy for charging, it's SUPER handy when you want to update your apps, maps, music library, and other stuff without having to turn your car to ACC or ON.

But really, on the topic of the power button, you ALWAYS want to have access to it, either by extending the buttons or cutting a hole at the top of the frame. Glitches do happen where you need to press the power button to wake the tablet.

Last edited by guitarplayer16; 05-24-2018 at 12:34 AM.
sockr1 (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 01:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Last time I was doing some changes, I added the wires going directly to the tablets battery (before the battery protection IC). Then with the help of additional relay, arduino, and 5v Lithium charging IC from Amazon, I made it charge the battery directly when the car is off. Tablet never goes below 90% (ac this IC cuts off the charging at 4.2V, and tablets battery is 4.3 max). Cars battery is also fine, as it barely needs any power. And this way tablet doesn't know its charged, so it stays in sleep
Old 05-25-2018, 11:48 PM
Instructor

Alright so just some info for anyone who was like me and forgot to cut a hole for the power, I've got good news. You don't need to take the whole dash apart. Just pop off the AC vent above the Nexus and Dremel out the hole to the power button while everything is still in the car. Worked great for me, and only took about 5 min instead of the hour plus it'd be if I had to take everything out. Just have to be a little careful, but good to have it working again!
sockr1 (05-26-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 12:09 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by hamburglar490
Alright so just some info for anyone who was like me and forgot to cut a hole for the power, I've got good news. You don't need to take the whole dash apart. Just pop off the AC vent above the Nexus and Dremel out the hole to the power button while everything is still in the car. Worked great for me, and only took about 5 min instead of the hour plus it'd be if I had to take everything out. Just have to be a little careful, but good to have it working again!
Be very careful with this. Those metal shavings can fall inside the vents for your CD player and short it out.
sockr1 (05-26-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 06:44 PM
10th Gear

I cant seem to get the acura picture (provided in this thread) as my background. Anyone have this issue?

The nova wallpaper says "couldn't load"

Thanks,
Cliff

Last edited by Clifbarz; 05-30-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:17 PM
10th Gear

I cant seem to get the acura picture (provided in this thread) as my background. Anyone have this issue?

The nova wallpaper says "couldn't load"

Thanks,
Cliff
never mind, I got it to work.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:37 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Free app, although some themes are paid:
peter6 (06-04-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 08:06 PM
Instructor

Figured out what was causing my "stuck on black screen" issue. This was on a 2013 Nexus 2nd Gen with the latest Android OTA, and the latest Timur kernel. If you set the screen brightness to the lowest setting, then turn off the car, and turn the car back on, the backlight of the Nexus is completely OFF. Used the flashlight of my phone to find the brightness slider and was able to brighten it back up. So if you find this to be the case for yours, just never set the screen brightness to the minimum before turning off the car
Old 06-22-2018, 06:07 PM
10th Gear

Back up camera

How do you get to the reverse camera? I’ve taken of the trunk panel and unscrewed what seems to be holding on the back up light panel, but I can’t get anything to budge. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
cliff
Old 06-22-2018, 06:36 PM
Race Director

After removing the 4 bolts holding the license plate assembly, it's just held in by clips. Use one hand and put it behind the backup light area and push out and use your other hand to make sure you don't pop it out onto the ground.
sockr1 (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 11:03 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
After removing the 4 bolts holding the license plate assembly, it's just held in by clips. Use one hand and put it behind the backup light area and push out and use your other hand to make sure you don't pop it out onto the ground.
thanks a lot
Old 06-23-2018, 11:04 AM
10th Gear

Obd 2

I Dremeled of the knob on the side of the OBD2 reader but I wasn’t able to open it. Is there any other way to open it ?

Thanks
Old 09-02-2018, 05:35 AM
8th Gear

Pandora

I thought I saw this somewhere but anyone else listening to pandora and when backup camera turns on it's fine but once you go back into drive the music stops?
Old 09-06-2018, 11:57 AM
10th Gear

Sorry if this has been addressed in the thread somewhere, but the OTG cable recommended in the OP is
no longer available no longer available
. Is there another cable people have used they can vouch for? I've looked at a number of them and none of them really state what amperage(?) they can handle.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

I would buy something like:

Amazon Amazon

And combine it with some other, good quality usb cable

(Just connect power wires togethe)
Old 09-24-2018, 04:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice DIY, thanks for writing this up OP.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:33 PM
10th Gear

Does anyone know what font the OP used for his homescreen(the one going to all the apps - Traffic, Navigation, Vehicle, etc)? Or one that someone else used that looks good? I'm customizing mine but am having trouble finding a font that looks right. I downloaded the photoshop files but imported them into GIMP, which just imports the layers as images, so I have to redo the text.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

I opened his file in Photoshop. It says that font name is "Arjulian," but can't do anything as my PS doesn't come with this font. Try searching online
The following 2 users liked this post by peter6:
sockr1 (09-27-2018), wilsont1988 (09-27-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 02:27 PM
10th Gear

Sorry to keep spamming the thread with questions - anyone got a link to the app icons used? Only ones I could find were these ones here, which were linked in another nexus 7 thread. Those don't have the circled app icons though. Could have sworn I saw a site with the ones in the OP last time I looked, so they might be linked here, but I couldn't find them searching the thread from 'icons'.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Guess I need to write "Thanks" again, as I used your post to update my setup with backup camera. I used the same idea with relay to power easycap. Like you wrote, it turns on/off much faster this way.

One change is that I routed wires for camera and wires from reverse lights to power relay under plastic trim on the right side of the car. Didn't want to add any more wires to the fusebox, and I needed to route that one wire anyways, so why not run both? Also, my car came without the camera, so I needed to cut some plastic out in order to hide the camera better.

Also since I'm using CyanogenMod rom, I got this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...amera&hl=en_US app. Pro version adds feature to close the app automatically if camera is disconnected, so I guess it's worth it.

In order to run wires through passenger side of the car I needed to take rear seats out, which is kind of pita. I really didn't want to take center console apart again.
Spoiler

I decided to not drill any holes for now, hopefully double sided tape in enough to hold the camera.
I also needed to make small gap in my plate frame in order to fit the camera.
Wire for the camera goes under the right licence plate light (can't really see it one the picture). It's a tight fit, but works for now.

I know that camera is off center. Will fix it when I find that better double sided tape that I have somewhere.
sockr1 (10-13-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 08:07 PM
5th Gear

Hello all. I'm new here and seriosly considering performing this mod on my 06 TL Base w/nav.

Story time: I bought my TL last month, after YEARS of wanting one. I thought I was extremely thorough with my checks during the test drive, but I was not. The one thing I didn't bother checking before I purchased the car was the stereo!! Radio worked, nav worked, but I couldn't get to the audio settings/equalizer via the radio button or the nav-screen button. Luckily, my dealer was gracious and understanding enough to let me bring it back for repair, free of charge. Fast forward five weeks. The HU and Nav units have both been replaced (at least that's what I was told), and everything works as it should for an 06 in 18. Or worked. After a few ignition cycles, the symptoms returned. My TL is back at my dealer right now for further diagnosis/repair/replacement. In the month+ that my dealer had the car, I bought a USA-SPEC BT adapter with full intention of installing it when I got my car with working stereo back. This was before I found this thread. Anyway, what I need to know from the community is, those of you who have completed this mod successfully, how do you have control over balance/fader/equalizer settings? Having access to these is important to me. After reading through the thread, it appears that Type S owners have a different clock display above the HVAC vents that displays more info than Base Nav modesl, and still have access to these setting. Am I incorrect? To those of you with Base Nav models (or anyone with an answer) can you change balnce/fader/center channel/sub/equalizer settings? How?

Old 10-21-2018, 09:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Two options here:

1. Memorize/wire down how many button presses do what. For example (which is probably not true) three presses give you treble setting.

2. Relocate the display to some other place, most likely under the radio. Like I and many others did.

Sorry for the night photo. Don't have anything else on my phone right now. Like I wrote, check out my or other people threads.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Mod if you can add this stuff to my previous post. Thanks!

I really like CarWebGuru's launcher, but it had couple issues that I couldn't really fix, and whole launcher seems kinda slow, especially compared to modern phone/tablet.
Anyways, I made the background based on one of Guru's themes. Hope it doesn't violate copyright or whatever.

If you throw clock widget or something in the middle it looks OK.
Attached Thumbnails 2013 Nexus 7 DIY Install in Type S with Reverse Camera-cargurus-based-dark-greed-v1.00.psd  
Old 10-21-2018, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Received 998 Likes on 571 Posts
peter6: I don't think I can move attachments so I'll be unable to add to your previous post. I'm sure he'll find your second reply and this should help if he did miss it.

Good replies, though.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:36 AM
Race Director

Two options here:

1. Memorize/wire down how many button presses do what. For example (which is probably not true) three presses give you treble setting.

2. Relocate the display to some other place, most likely under the radio. Like I and many others did.
Won't be required since he has a navi model.

The sub-display in the Type-S is no different than a sub-display from an 06 TL, besides the red backlight colour.
You can access the settings by pushing on the right knob, and it will show up on your sub-display.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:38 PM
5th Gear

Won't be required since he has a navi model.

The sub-display in the Type-S is no different than a sub-display from an 06 TL, besides the red backlight colour.
You can access the settings by pushing on the right knob, and it will show up on your sub-display.
Wow. Thanks for your quick replies! I didn't expect answers so fast (or at all ) from a thread this old. This gives hope. @guitarplayer16, I suppose, in the very limited time that I've had access to my car since I bought it, that I never looked at the sub-display above the nav screen when attempting to change... anything. From your post, it sounds like I should have the exact same functionality as Type S owners and should see input selections and other info up there. Am I reading you correctly?
Old 10-22-2018, 09:43 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by llamaste
Wow. Thanks for your quick replies! I didn't expect answers so fast (or at all ) from a thread this old. This gives hope. @guitarplayer16, I suppose, in the very limited time that I've had access to my car since I bought it, that I never looked at the sub-display above the nav screen when attempting to change... anything. From your post, it sounds like I should have the exact same functionality as Type S owners and should see input selections and other info up there. Am I reading you correctly?
Correct.

Push on the right knob, BASS should pop up with a number beside it, press the knob again and then TREB should pop up with a number beside it, then SUB (subwoofer), FADE (fader), BAL (balance), etc.
You can rotate the knob left or right to increase/decrease.

Last edited by guitarplayer16; 10-22-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:44 PM
5th Gear

Holy smokers. You just made my day. I'll report back when I get my car back. Thanks again.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:51 PM
Race Director

Glad to help, I wouldn't do this tablet mod if I lost access to those either.
I was worried about the downsides of doing this mod too, and after compiling a list of "concerns", I had email conversations with the thread starter, sockr1, who answered all of them.
It's been over a year now with the tablet mod and the ONLY downside I've come across is not being able to use voice command. Now I can't impress my friends by asking the car "what time is it?" or saying "fan speed 3" anymore.
An insanely small sacrifice for such an amazing mod.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,574 Likes on 6,625 Posts
. Now I can't impress my friends by asking the car "what time is it?" or saying "fan speed 3" anymore.
An insanely small sacrifice for such an amazing mod.

I found that a lot more amusing than I should have
Old 10-22-2018, 10:20 PM
5th Gear

Honestly, I had no idea I could tell the TL a fan speed 🤣, BUT that pales in comparison to having Google Assistant listening to my every command. Ultimately, knowing that I'll still be able to adjust my EQ is what will make this possible for me. I'll keep you all posted on progress, and I hope I can ask for input/help here when I need.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
it's not an old thread compared to others...PLUS i'm still active!

but GP answered all your questions, you'll be good to go! get that tablet in there asap unlike our moderator up above

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Nexus 7 DIY Install in Type S with Reverse Camera