2005 TL Voice Recognition needs help

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 03:37 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2005 TL Voice Recognition needs help

Ok, I've had this car since day one, never, ever a problem or complaint with the car running every time I turn the key. The Bluetooth/Voice Recognition is another story. Awhile back the Bluetooth just stopped pairing to any phone. Pissed me off, but not the end of the world. As of today, with 123,000 miles on a 10 year old car, the Voice Recognition (VR) button doesn't perform ANY function. Usually when you push that button, the audio you're listening to mutes and it waits for a command. Well, as of today, pushing the VR button does nothing. Doesn't mute whatever audio is playing. Doesn't say a prompt. Doesn't do crap. So I immediately thought of 2 possible issues; fuse blown or volume in "settings" turned to off. Unfortunately, the volume was turned low, but not off, and the buttons on the BACK of the VR buttons work fine. So I'm stumped. I'm thinking if there even is a fuse to these 4 buttons (2 on from of steering wheel, 2 on the back) that it would be 1 fuse, and since the buttons on the back work then a fuse isn't the problem. FYI, the system does still talk, the nav works if destination is entered manually, etc. PLEASE!!! Any ideas would be extremely helpful and welcome. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:37 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevocarp
The Bluetooth/Voice Recognition is another story. Awhile back the Bluetooth just stopped pairing to any phone. Pissed me off, but not the end of the world. As of today, with 123,000 miles on a 10 year old car, the Voice Recognition (VR) button doesn't perform ANY function.
The VR uses the Bluetooth/HFL mic.
You need a new HFL unit. It'll cost somewhere between $180-$230 for a new one; check AZ vendors' prices and get the cheapest one (some are more expensive that others due to the bezel/plastic housing color, which can be swapped with your existing one if you have an ivory or parchment interior-- the HFL unit itself is the same). Takes about 5 minutes to swap out; there are several threads on it.

Otherwise, you can try baking the HFL circuit board after disassembly to see if that revives the HFL. Baking @ 385*F for 9 minutes has worked for some members, although a few needed to bake the board twice.