2005 TL Navi - HFL/Navi steering wheel buttons

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 11:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 TL Navi - HFL/Navi steering wheel buttons

Hi all,

I've read older posts (2 yrs old plus) about this, but looking for some additional specific info.

Last night I noticed that both the HFL hang up button (lower HLF buton) and the Navi Voice command "back" button (again lower one) were not illuminated with headlights on.

At first I thought maybe my memory was off and they never were back lit -- but after driving tonight I was almost sure I was missing something there -- now after reading the older forums, I'm 99% sure those two "buttons" are now missing back lights that used to be there.

So, two questions:

First, can anyone confirm if there is just one bulb that illuminates both of those buttons at the same time (seems strange that would be the case, but then I'm far from an authority on this stuff -- that said I'm still hoping it's a bulb and not a larger issue, any ideas?)

Second, if it's just a bulb replacement, any idea on cost for dealer fix? I doubt it falls under warranty so I thought I'd ask before I go to the dealer.

Actually I guess that leads to a third question, if it is a bulb issue, is it easy for a layman to fix? I'm a little leary on working with tools on even simple electronics that close to an airbag, color me scared if ya like but those are a little past my comfort levels, plus I'd rather pay more to have it done right than risk messing things up more by trying to do it myself.

Any & all feedback appreciated.

Cheers, Sean
Old 04-23-2008, 01:22 AM
Racquetballer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had this happen before with both exact lights. I'm not sure if it's one bulb or two that needs replacement, but it is definitely covered under warranty. Just take it in, explain what's up and they should take care of it no problem. I wouldn't work on it just because I think you may have to take the steering wheel apart. Don't even bother with it yourself since it's covered under warranty. Good luck!
Old 04-23-2008, 06:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes it does light up, the only way to get to those bulbs is by removing the airbag, which is nothing more than removing 2 hex head bolts. done it myself numerous times, and it isn't anymore dangerous than playing with anything else in the car.

if you have free time to waste, and want to save 5-10 bucks on the bulbs, then bring it to the dealer