07 Type-S Backup camera not working all the time

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:15 AM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
07 Type-S Backup camera not working all the time

So the backup camera in my type-s is working intermittently. It works some times so it can't be the fuse right? Anybody have suggestions on what I should check? Thanks.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:03 AM
Banned

Anybody?
Old 01-07-2011, 08:05 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Cold weather?
Old 01-07-2011, 05:24 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
must be a loose wire somewhere so check the wirring....probably have to look under the trunk lid to check the wires....
Old 01-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Banned

So I am starting to believe this is not a common problem.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:36 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I've never heard of this. I would open the trunk and pull the interior trunk covering apart and check the wires behind the rear camera and also the wires behind the NAV unit in the trunk.

If you have another person to help, have one put the car in reverse and you go through the wires and see if it is an intermittent signal. Honestly I have no idea what it could be. Hmmm....there are alot of factory ground locations in the rear trunk. I noticed several when intalling my Navtool. Let us know if you find anything out. If you are still within your window for your Bumper to Bumper warranty I'm sure the dealer would fix.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by donnieb83
I've never heard of this. I would open the trunk and pull the interior trunk covering apart and check the wires behind the rear camera and also the wires behind the NAV unit in the trunk.

If you have another person to help, have one put the car in reverse and you go through the wires and see if it is an intermittent signal. Honestly I have no idea what it could be. Hmmm....there are alot of factory ground locations in the rear trunk. I noticed several when intalling my Navtool. Let us know if you find anything out. If you are still within your window for your Bumper to Bumper warranty I'm sure the dealer would fix.
Thanks man. Warranty is long gone. I will check all the wires like suggested. Right now it is not working at all. It's dead.
PS: are you lowered? If so with what and how is the ride? nevermind it's in your sig!!!
Old 01-27-2011, 08:40 AM

I would try a multimeter and see if the wire connected into the rear cam is receiving +12V. If not follow the wire back to the NAV unit? Sucks that its not working at all now.

Haha....yes, I am on tein s-tech springs with tokico hp's. Actually rides smoother than our stock suspension and handles a MILLION times better. There is a set of s.tech springs in the black market now for $125.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by donnieb83
I would try a multimeter and see if the wire connected into the rear cam is receiving +12V. If not follow the wire back to the NAV unit? Sucks that its not working at all now.

Haha....yes, I am on tein s-tech springs with tokico hp's. Actually rides smoother than our stock suspension and handles a MILLION times better. There is a set of s.tech springs in the black market now for $125.
Well I took the truck apart and checked the wiring. The back up camera is activated by the back up light wiring. I disconnected the back up lights and made sure the connections were tight. Did not find any chafed or broken wires. Back up lights work fine. Pulled the fuses up front to make sure they were not blown. They were good. Could not find any problems. Started the car and what do you know.... the camera works!!! Not sure if it will work consistently but it may have just been a bad connection.

Wow I am surprised the Tiens with Hp's ride better than stock. I have heard bad things about Hp's on other cars. I'll keep it in mind if I ever get bored and want to do my suspension. I heard it's a bitch on the TL.

Last edited by JackSampson; 01-29-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:47 PM

Damn, glad it worked!!! Haha...yea the suspension would be pretty hard by yourself, but with 2 people and simple handtools is more than doable.