07 TL. How to figure which CD's show song info...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 06:42 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 TL. How to figure which CD's show song info...

???

I didn't think it had this feature at all until I loaded the "Plans" CD from Death Cab for Cutie. and the navi shows Album - Plans and Song Titles.

Why this CD and not others? FYI, It is not a DVD-A CD.

Also, anyone have a website that might show which CDs are DVD-A sound. Just curious if I have any that I could use the 5.1 feature.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:48 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by reisb
???

I didn't think it had this feature at all until I loaded the "Plans" CD from Death Cab for Cutie. and the navi shows Album - Plans and Song Titles.

Why this CD and not others? FYI, It is not a DVD-A CD.

Also, anyone have a website that might show which CDs are DVD-A sound. Just curious if I have any that I could use the 5.1 feature.
I'm pretty sure this is a function of the CD and not your player. If the CD manufacturer included/encoded the album/song info in such a way that supported players can display it, then you get it. I believe it's similar (different technology but same idea) to how some commercial (i.e., not XM) radio stations broadcast song info over the air and your radio can receive/display it.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:08 PM
2007 NBP TL-S

The 07 TL supports CD Text (presuming the CD was encoded with it).
Old 01-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by Wyman
The 07 TL supports CD Text (presuming the CD was encoded with it).
i think it needs to be burned with an ID3 tag or something of the sort.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:12 PM
Banned

it needs to either be burned as a data file ... so it become and mp3 cd ... or use another programs besides windows media player ... i think it should work

... it works for me
Old 01-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by drat19
I believe it's similar (different technology but same idea) to how some commercial (i.e., not XM) radio stations broadcast song info over the air and your radio can receive/display it.
My radio stations do not show info on channels that did show it thru radio digital satellite on my previous car. Is there a setting I need to change to have it recognize the radio stations that broadcast song/artist info?

Also, any websites that show which CD's are DVD-A audio CD's?
Old 01-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Advanced

My radio stations do not show info on channels that did show it thru radio digital satellite on my previous car. Is there a setting I need to change to have it recognize the radio stations that broadcast song/artist info?
I'm not sure if the TL radio supports that on commercial stations like it does on XM...I was thinking about radios in other cars I've driven (sorry 'bout that). Perhaps other posters on this thread/forum can confirm/deny?
Old 01-01-2007, 10:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Also, any websites that show which CD's are DVD-A audio CD's?
The TL doesn't show the Fm radio channels, but it does show for XM and CD/DVD audio
Old 01-01-2007, 10:07 PM
Lt. Dangle

Multiple formats are being confused here. Based on the original post, I assume reisb loaded the commercially pressed "Plans" CD by Death Cab for Cutie. DCC is on Atlantic -- one of the few record labels that regularly includes CD-TEXT information on it's CDs. CD-TEXT is an extension of the Red Book CD spec and should not be confused with ID3 tags embedded in MP3s. You can burn or buy audio CDs that feature CD-TEXT. The DVD-A spec does not include CD-TEXT; the spec includes data to be displayed on a video display instead. Radio Data System (RDS) is a system that allows digital information to be transmitted within FM radio broadcasts in order to display such information as song and station information, news, traffic and even weather. This is similar to the information displayed by XM. RDS does not seem to be in wide use.

CD-TEXT and ID3 tag display are new features in the 2007 TL. As I understand it, RDS was not added.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Nicely written enormus!

To add, CD's cannot be DVD-A's. They are different formats. There exists two main types of Compact Disks, or CDs: audio (music CDs that work in CD players) and data (CD-ROMs, MP3 CDs, etc).

Digital Versatile Disk, or DVDs also come in a few flavors: DVD-Video (movie DVDs) and DVD-Audio (DVD-A for short). The TL supports DVD-A.

I believe you are looking for CD's with CD-TEXT.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:42 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by datmrman
Nicely written enormus!
I agree...my apologies to all for confusing text/reporting formats in my replies on this thread.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:34 AM
Tang

My friend has a 2006 Ford Focus another Nissan Altima and these vehicles list the song information i.e., artist, song name etc... but my 06 TL does not? I'd say that a focus and altima would be my last guess to have this feature over a TL.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by lanteigned
My friend has a 2006 Ford Focus another Nissan Altima and these vehicles list the song information i.e., artist, song name etc... but my 06 TL does not? I'd say that a focus and altima would be my last guess to have this feature over a TL.
And I run across this feature on any number of GM vehicles that I rent when I travel on business.

I wouldn't have guessed that our '06 TLs would have excluded automatic headlights, either, with all the other great standard features that they DO include. Guess you just never know what the "features folks" are (not) thinking when they put together the packages for these cares...
Old 01-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by enormus
Multiple formats are being confused here. Based on the original post, I assume reisb loaded the commercially pressed "Plans" CD by Death Cab for Cutie. DCC is on Atlantic -- one of the few record labels that regularly includes CD-TEXT information on it's CDs. CD-TEXT is an extension of the Red Book CD spec and should not be confused with ID3 tags embedded in MP3s. You can burn or buy audio CDs that feature CD-TEXT. The DVD-A spec does not include CD-TEXT; the spec includes data to be displayed on a video display instead. Radio Data System (RDS) is a system that allows digital information to be transmitted within FM radio broadcasts in order to display such information as song and station information, news, traffic and even weather. This is similar to the information displayed by XM. RDS does not seem to be in wide use.

CD-TEXT and ID3 tag display are new features in the 2007 TL. As I understand it, RDS was not added.
So what is the format that has been in use for some time on commercially pressed CDs that displays Album name and track titles on my '03 Chevy and my ancient home CD player, but not an '07 TL?

I'm also disappointed about the lack of RDS. It's been out for some time and is used by most stations in the DC area. There's no real excuse for not having it on the TL.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by datmrman
Nicely written enormus!

To add, CD's cannot be DVD-A's. They are different formats. There exists two main types of Compact Disks, or CDs: audio (music CDs that work in CD players) and data (CD-ROMs, MP3 CDs, etc).

Digital Versatile Disk, or DVDs also come in a few flavors: DVD-Video (movie DVDs) and DVD-Audio (DVD-A for short). The TL supports DVD-A.

I believe you are looking for CD's with CD-TEXT.
Thanks for the info on the CD-TEXT. I'll check which Atlantic CD's I have as I really like that feature. Best bet there is just plug and play with my old CD's and see which works.

I was also talking about DVD-A, which until the recent posts, I thought was the format on the CD that allowed 5.1 surround to be played through my stereo on the TL like the demo disc. Is that not the case? What CD's would have 5.1 sound? Is there a website for that?

Also, what is the ID3 tags on mp3's? I just know iTunes has a "convert ID3 tags" option, but do not know what it does.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:59 PM
Lt. Dangle

Originally Posted by mike03a3
So what is the format that has been in use for some time on commercially pressed CDs that displays Album name and track titles on my '03 Chevy and my ancient home CD player, but not an '07 TL?

I'm also disappointed about the lack of RDS. It's been out for some time and is used by most stations in the DC area. There's no real excuse for not having it on the TL.
CD-TEXT is the only thing you are seeing on any CD player that does not play MP3-CDs.

I agree there is no reason why RDS should not have been included in the 2007 (or really ANY of the 3rd Gen TLs) along with MP3/ID3 and CD-TEXT support -- particularly given how advanced the radio is already. However, the value of RDS varies greatly depending on your location. Here in Raleigh, only one station broadcasts RDS signals and even then it is just their name.

Thanks for the info on the CD-TEXT. I'll check which Atlantic CD's I have as I really like that feature. Best bet there is just plug and play with my old CD's and see which works.

I was also talking about DVD-A, which until the recent posts, I thought was the format on the CD that allowed 5.1 surround to be played through my stereo on the TL like the demo disc. Is that not the case? What CD's would have 5.1 sound? Is there a website for that?

Also, what is the ID3 tags on mp3's? I just know iTunes has a "convert ID3 tags" option, but do not know what it does.
All the recent Atlantic CDs I have have CD-TEXT on them.

Both DVD-Audio and DTS-CDs can provide surround sound (not to be confused with Dolby 5.1). Not all surround DVD-As are DTS, but all surround CDs are DTS. DTS-CDs do not offer high resolution sound like DVD-A discs, however.

ID3 tags are data embedded in an MP3 file that contain artist/album/track information. Virtually all MP3 player support ID3 tags of varying formats. I do not know about Itunes support for ID3 tags; I do not use Itunes for encoding or ripping songs to MP3 or tagging. I use Itunes only to update my Ipod's firmware and to sync podcasts.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:47 AM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by enormus
CD-TEXT is the only thing you are seeing on any CD player that does not play MP3-CDs.
Well, my ancient Sony CD changer for my stereo displays album names and track titles from most of my CDs - while I haven't come across one yet that displays in the TL-S. The Sony is at least 10 years old, maybe 15, and can't play anything but plain old music CDs.