07 Bluetooth AND XM = busted! Grrrrr!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 09:24 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
07 Bluetooth AND XM = busted! Grrrrr!!

After having been slowly going out over the course of the past year my handsfree finally gave up the ghost. Having been around this forum for a while I know this is nothing unusual, in fact is to be expected - but what I didn't know is that it can eat a battery alive. At least that's what the dealership told me. My battery died on me a few weeks ago, jumped it and bought a new one as it was about time anyway. Then the new one needed jumping ...two times... since installing. At the same time my XM was acting up, not holding presets, unable to tune to a bunch of channels, etc.

So I bit the bullet and took it into Acura. Tech told me that the Bluetooth can break in 'on' mode and constantly be draining the battery, which explains that. And the XM control module is dying. A new one is $1300 installed. Yeesh. Seems like pretty tickytack stuff for a Honda 'luxury' brand automobile at 10 years of age but, oh well.

sux
Old 07-11-2017, 07:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 191 Likes on 174 Posts
Just unplug it. Everytime you flat out the battery, it loses its capacity.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:17 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
?
it's pretty common knowledge and well documented that the HFL will cause a parasitic drain on the battery.

and a 10 year old luxury car isnt the same as a 10 year old economy car.
One has more complex electronics...with more complex electronics = more chances of things failing..

SURE, used MB AMG models are cheap right now...but they are super complex!!!!!! and would expect things going out and needing replacement often.

Last edited by justnspace; 07-11-2017 at 08:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DerrickW (07-11-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 03:51 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HFL is common issue - just unplug the dumb thing. As for the XM, you can unplug that too if you want. Easy-access in the trunk.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:27 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Yeh, I had them pull the plug on the HFL at the dealership while I was in there. The XM being hosed up is a drag but certainly not the end of the world. But now the car has been behaving very oddly. Two days ago (for the 1st time since taking it in) it suddenly killed while driving. Two or three times. In all instances I was rolling with it in gear (manual tranny) so it in essence 'roll-started' itself right back on, but it clearly had completely killed as the trip computer data + odo reset to zero and I had to re-enter to stereo security code. Is this also a known, "its gonna happen one day" thing??