'05 TL Navi issues creating HFL issue???

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 09:40 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 TL Navi issues creating HFL issue???

Over the last few months I have been getting the intermittent "disc read error" on my navi screen. I start to look into it and it begins to work again. Within the last week it has not got past the disc read error on a permanent basis. Around the same time my HFL stopped working. I have read many articles on this site about parts of what I am experiencing but I can't seem to find the exact same combination of issues. My questions are:

1. I have read about the failed HFL devices. When I ask the car to try and set up the phone none of the standard commands are recognized for pairing. Is this a slam dunk for just replacing the HFL unit? All the examples I have found reference that the phone wouldn't pair not that you can't even access the pairing function. My phone doesn't seem to even find the HFL anymore.
2. Is there a known relationship between navi not loading and the HFL not working? In the past when navi stopped, the HFL did work.
3. Any good tips for navi player fixes for a novice? I read about disc cleaner for the laser but the unit will not even accept the cleaning disc. It will accept the oem navi disc though.

I appreciate any and all help! Thanks
Old 02-19-2013, 12:02 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by Djsasser98
1. I have read about the failed HFL devices. When I ask the car to try and set up the phone none of the standard commands are recognized for pairing. Is this a slam dunk for just replacing the HFL unit?
Check the MID info for the HFL-- if it displays "booting up" continuously, that means the HFL needs to be replaced.

2. Is there a known relationship between navi not loading and the HFL not working? In the past when navi stopped, the HFL did work.
No; they are separate systems except for the microphone.

3. Any good tips for navi player fixes for a novice? I read about disc cleaner for the laser but the unit will not even accept the cleaning disc. It will accept the oem navi disc though.
See this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/diy-how-fix-navi-disk-read-errors-873489/.

Welcome to AZ.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:04 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Y.
Check the MID info for the HFL-- if it displays "booting up" continuously, that means the HFL needs to be replaced.

No; they are separate systems except for the microphone.

See this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873489.

Welcome to AZ.
Will, where would I check the MID for boot up? I don't remember ever seeing anything that looks to boot up with the exception of the Nav system. This morning I noticed, when trying to access voice commands, the system voice has disappeared and the phone set up options seem to have vanished. Meaning the car may turn air on or another function pops up when I give any phone command. My phone does not recognize any BT signal from car either.

In looking at the service bulletin from 2005, I have similar issues mentioned but my phone does not lock up in HFL mode and radio is muted. It seems as if the car doesn't realize there is even a HFL function available. Thank you for taking the time to respond
Old 02-19-2013, 12:29 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Will, where would I check the MID for boot up?
Start at p. 66 of your manual, or the 2005 owner's manual at https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851625--
Push arrows through the MID menu to "HandsFreeLink," then select it and it should give you the status of the HFL.

Turn on the radio in the car.
1) Whether a phone is in the car or not, does pushing the HFL "talk" button on the steering wheel mute the audio?
2) Does pushing the HFL "off" button unmute the audio?
If the answer is "yes," then the HFL is working and the issue may be turning on the discovery/new devices mode on the phone itself.
If the answer is "no" to either question, the HFL is problematic.