[TABLET] Nexus 7 (2013) Dash Install (Non-Nav)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 12:16 PM
BANNED *AKA Tl4eva*

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Been a while since I stick my nose in here but here I am reporting back on my experience with the 2nd gen nexus 7 after 3 months of use. I've come to realize that this tablet is not really designed for outdoor use at all as it is highly vulnerable to extreme temperature. My nexus sometimes turns itself off unintentionally while in sleep mode/standby if the temp in the car is too hot like in the 85+ (it will turn back on when the temp cools down though) and even if it doesn't turn off, the battery life reduces significantly like 10% just during lunch hours. I recently purchased a heatshield and it seems to have worked quite well but I am not sure what to do when the winter time comes when the temp where I live can easily reach the subzero point. So my question for those who have used these tablets during the winter time in extreme cold temp, did you notice any negative affects like those associated with extreme hot temp in the summer (ones I mentioned above)? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by TheRB; 07-28-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:52 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
More Backup camera

We may have a winner as far as backup cameras go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WIFI-in-Car-...-/131088497534

It seems to be working great for this guy. If I manage to get one, I'll update further.

Last edited by JMiles_T; 07-28-2015 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Title
Old 07-29-2015, 10:25 AM
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRB
Been a while since I stick my nose in here but here I am reporting back on my experience with the 2nd gen nexus 7 after 3 months of use. I've come to realize that this tablet is not really designed for outdoor use at all as it is highly vulnerable to extreme temperature. My nexus sometimes turns itself off unintentionally while in sleep mode/standby if the temp in the car is too hot like in the 85+ (it will turn back on when the temp cools down though) and even if it doesn't turn off, the battery life reduces significantly like 10% just during lunch hours. I recently purchased a heatshield and it seems to have worked quite well but I am not sure what to do when the winter time comes when the temp where I live can easily reach the subzero point. So my question for those who have used these tablets during the winter time in extreme cold temp, did you notice any negative affects like those associated with extreme hot temp in the summer (ones I mentioned above)? Thanks in advance.
My 1st Gen Nexus 7 hasn't had any of the hot issues described, and it's easily topped 120+ degrees in my car (Denver temps have been in the 90s). Battery life is fine - no notable drop during hot days, just the normal 4-5% every 24 hours that the car is off. As for winter, I don't recall any issues last year, and it was a normal Denver winter. Just some feedback from another user. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
TheRB (07-29-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 11:52 AM
BANNED *AKA Tl4eva*

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by triax37
My 1st Gen Nexus 7 hasn't had any of the hot issues described, and it's easily topped 120+ degrees in my car (Denver temps have been in the 90s). Battery life is fine - no notable drop during hot days, just the normal 4-5% every 24 hours that the car is off. As for winter, I don't recall any issues last year, and it was a normal Denver winter. Just some feedback from another user. Good luck!
^ Thank you for sharing. Just to clarify something I said earlier about the temperature. I meant to say that the nexus will act up when the outside temp (not inside the car) is 85+ which means that it must be a lot hotter inside the car, more like 100+
Old 08-05-2015, 06:59 PM
Instructor

Addressing Power problems on Timur's Kernel

Originally Posted by TheRB
So my question for those who have used these tablets during the winter time in extreme cold temp, did you notice any negative affects like those associated with extreme hot temp in the summer (ones I mentioned above)? Thanks in advance.
I haven't had any trouble with mine as far as power goes. If you're using Timur's kernel, make sure you adjust the settings in his PowerEventManager app under the Alarms menu.

He recommends unchecking the com.google.android.gms item which is the alarm for GooglePlayServices. This will keep that service from using the rtc alarm while the tablet is asleep.

You should also disable anything else that you don't think needs to be running while the tablet is asleep, but Google Play Services is the big one.

Make sure you leave the following checked
  • com.android.deskclock
  • com.android.providers.calendar
  • com.google.android.calendar

I recommend giving the FAQ page a read:
https://timur.mobi/timurs-kernel-n7-2013/faq/
jateelover (08-10-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 11:25 AM
Instructor

Use a Powered USB Hub

TL;DR version:
Since I started using a powered USB hub, the static is gone and the random Easycap viewer interrupts haven't happened once.

Detailed Version:
I've been using the Easycap viewer app to make the tablet switch to the camera footage automatically when I shift into Reverse gear.
I've been having problems with static on by backup camera footage, and couldn't figure out why. Also, Easycap viewer had a tendency to randomly try to switch to camera view, then quickly go back to whatever app I was actually viewing even when I hadn't shifted into Reverse gear.

Despite the suggestions of purchasing other cameras and interfaces to get things working, I really did not have any interest in spending more money on this project. Fortunately, the problem and solution became apparent to me.

The lines of static shown on my backup camera footage was caused by the USB Easycap device not getting adequate power from the USB hub. Apparently, despite the use of a high current DC-DC power converter, only 500 millivolts of it powered the ports of the old hub. A self powered Hub was needed.

Thankfully, I already owned a powered hub, and just needed to transfer it to the car. The DC-DC converter I've been using to power the Nexus tablet already output 5 volts just like the hub's AC power brick, so all I needed to do was cut the brick off the power cord, and solder the leads onto the DC-DC converter output wires.

I still had 2 Easycap devices and took time to test which one worked best.
  • One was a UTV007 from Amazon. The UTV007 version would activate the Easycap viewer app, but wouldn't go back out after I shifted out of Reverse gear.
  • The other was a STK1160 from eBay suggested by Jateelover here.
The STK1160 version worked more reliably.

Cutting brick off the power cord. Note that before I cut-up the otherwise perfectly functioning power cord, I plugged the hub into AC power and tested it in the car to see if it would make a difference.

Soldering the hub's power wires into DC-DC output wires.

This is the hub's power cord soldered and insulated onto the output from the DC-DC power converter.

Running wires under the center console.

Pardon the mess while I renovate. The cup holders will be covering up this mess of wires. Out of sight, out of mind.

New powered USB hub installed and working great.

Static-free footage

Last edited by JMiles_T; 09-02-2015 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Spelling and clarification
thoiboi (09-02-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 01:21 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
That is so much better JMiles! Good to know you found a solution and chances are it will help someone else too.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:16 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Nice, that is super clear. Mine is not that clear on a non-powered hub, but it's not bad at all. I might put in the powered hub someday. I still am using a USB cig lighter charger and it's not able to keep the tablet charging when using Nav, etc, so I have to do that buck converter first.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Received 1,001 Likes on 572 Posts
See this thread for updated links and information.