Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZKW / ZWK-R Lens install write up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:57 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ZKW / ZWK-R Lens install write up?

I don't usually like to post up threads like this, but after a search of this site and signing up at HIDPlanet (which has an awful search engine) I'm struggling to find a write up of how to install these lenses in our TLs.

I just picked up a set off Ebay and I'd like to do it at some point in the near future. I understand you need to bake the headlights which I've done plenty of times before, but I'm seeing a lot of information about cardboard spacers and such. Is there a definitive writeup on this? Should I just send them to JnC and add a few extras in there for good measure?

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2010, 10:34 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
You need spacers for ZKW.

For ZKW-R you'd need to move the cut off shield back 0.1~0.5 mm and just drop the lens in .
Old 01-28-2010, 10:37 AM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
JnC, when I'm ready to do my lights will you do lenses as well? I like your work....and my handywork does not mix well with my level of pickyness & desire for a clean quality job
Old 01-28-2010, 10:49 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Originally Posted by JnC
You need spacers for ZKW.

For ZKW-R you'd need to move the cut off shield back 0.1~0.5 mm and just drop the lens in .
Thanks dude! Do you happen to have a pic of the cut off shield or would I recognize it when I see it? I just really would like to do it right the first time so I don't have to bake the headlights more than once.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:22 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Anyone? Pics?
Old 01-29-2010, 10:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Well there are so many different opinions on this its really hard to say without actually testing them out yourself. I recently installed ZKW-R's on my 07 Type S and here is what I found out. There are variations in these lenses people usually say the replicas just drop in and be done however I found otherwise. I sat and played with mine for hours trying to get the best possible output. Simply swapping in the ZKW-R's didnt do a hole lot without some fine tuning spacing and again this is going to vary as each part is ever so slightly different.
For my car (07 Type S) I acheived the absolute perfect cutoff that were identical between the two sides by placing a cereal box round spacer between the lens and lens holder one ONE SIDE only. I know it sounds weird but this is what gave my headlights an amazingly sharp and crisp cutoff at distance with a very nice purplecolor band.
I did NOT mess with bending the shields as im not a big fan of that method and didnt need to in my case.
So one of my lenses was a simple swap in with no spacer, the other side required 1 cereal box ring spacer. I dont have pics yet but the output is amazing!!!

Hope this helps,
James
Old 01-30-2010, 08:34 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Well there are so many different opinions on this its really hard to say without actually testing them out yourself. I recently installed ZKW-R's on my 07 Type S and here is what I found out. There are variations in these lenses people usually say the replicas just drop in and be done however I found otherwise. I sat and played with mine for hours trying to get the best possible output. Simply swapping in the ZKW-R's didnt do a hole lot without some fine tuning spacing and again this is going to vary as each part is ever so slightly different.
For my car (07 Type S) I acheived the absolute perfect cutoff that were identical between the two sides by placing a cereal box round spacer between the lens and lens holder one ONE SIDE only. I know it sounds weird but this is what gave my headlights an amazingly sharp and crisp cutoff at distance with a very nice purplecolor band.
I did NOT mess with bending the shields as im not a big fan of that method and didnt need to in my case.
So one of my lenses was a simple swap in with no spacer, the other side required 1 cereal box ring spacer. I dont have pics yet but the output is amazing!!!

Hope this helps,
James
Nice, thanks for the input. How did you test out the different outputs before you put them back in your car? Did you hook the headlights up to another power source, or just bake them and take them apart over and over again? I hope it's not the latter
Old 01-30-2010, 10:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
Nice, thanks for the input. How did you test out the different outputs before you put them back in your car? Did you hook the headlights up to another power source, or just bake them and take them apart over and over again? I hope it's not the latter
N0 that would take absolutely forever to bake and remove over and over. I did all the testing with the headlight disassembled with only the ballast connected to the car. You can also do it with a seperate power supply or by using a spare ballast and power supply if you have one to.

Here are a couple additional pointers that I have learned because I have done this more than once.
If you use the oven bake method when your done and trying to re-attach the front headlight lens DONT use the oven as it will condensate the new clear projector lens and leave it spotty once it dries. Only use the oven method to take them apart (approx 200 degrees not preheat for 10 minutes works perfect). Use a good heat gun or hair dryer to heat up the adhesive it works pretty nicely just takes a little longer. This will keep your new clear lens crystal clear and it wont condensate from being cool then going into a hot oven.

I dont recommend bending your cutoff shields especially if your not familiar with doing it. You can easily mess them up and once again its not required to do if you can space your lenses correctly.

A little more detail on my cereal box spacer..... What I did was cut a round cutout from your favorite cereal box I used fruity pebbles lol. Just put the lens on the box and cut it out same diameter as the lens. Be sure to use a brand new blade as it needs to be a pretty accurate cut. Next, you will then cut out the inner section of this spacer so you will only be left with a very thin spacer than will fit perfectly in the lens holder. Then simply place the clear lens on top of that. It will make more sense when you remove the original lens and see what im talking about.

Once you have the spacers (make two of them), test fit them then its time to go test and tune the lights. Try them with the spacers and without, try rotating the lens for best output and find out whats best. As I said before the two sides may vary and dont be worried if you need a spacer for one side and not the other. Thats how mine was, but thats how I achieved two identical cutoffs. Also, you MUST do these test on something FAR away not a wall 10 feet away. just to give you a headsup how far im talking I used the peoples garage door across the street!!!! Another headups..Note: your cutoff will be mostly yellow at closer distances but will change starting at around 15 feet or so.

Then when you finally achieve the cutoff you want re-install the mounting clip and button everything back up. The only downside that kind of bummed me out was that the stock clear plastic headlight lens (the main outter one) really takes a lot away from a nice perfect cutoff. My output is still amazing, but it did take away a little sharpness and color when all was said and done. Sucks, but in our case there is no getting around it (cant drive around with no headlight lens lol).

Hope this isnt too much information if you need anything else let me know or if I need to clarify.

Thanks,
James
The following 2 users liked this post by JTS97Z28:
Azndjay (01-08-2012), Turbocoop (03-14-2012)