3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zaino Reality

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 09:15 PM
ULOOZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the "zaino" enlightenment. Now I can save some real elbow grease for the 12oz. curls!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2004, 05:46 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Warning! Warning! Going off-topic here ...

Originally posted by avs007
My dad imports audio equipment and accessories, and is good friends with the audio engineer at the company. What was stated is missing a big piece of the equation. Just because a given cable is thicker, doesn't mean quite that much by itself. Another important aspect is how the cable is braided to shield from noise and such. The really high end cable is 4 way braided with both left and right channels. The really good (but not as high end) cable is 2 way braided with just the +/-.

Plain old 10guage cable that you buy at radio shack is not braided at all, so you get lots of opportunity for your sound to degrade. If you don't believe me, take some ethernet cable, and unbraid the wires, then see how much throughput you get
Hahaha! Now that's funny!

avs007 - I'm sorry, there's a lack of understanding here of the physics of electrical signals.

Regardless of what the audio engineer says (and he's extremely biased - he has to sell products), the braiding of the cables doesn't have any appreciable effect in the frequency range of interest (20 Hz to 20,000 Hz).

Braiding and good shielding will have a significant effect when you're talking about high frequency signals (in the MHz range and beyond) and with digital signals. Digital signals have much higher frequency content due to the squared edges of the bits - not an issue with audio signals, unless you are clipping your amplifier (which is a totally different problem!). Also, any good ethernet cable is an "impedance matched" cable. Any significant changes to the design of the cable can degrade the signal quality of an Ethernet signal. But, you're comparing apples to oranges.

Any reported "huge improvements" to audio quality due to wiring are basically selling snake oil. Good old 16-gauge twisted wire is fine for almost any audio application. My only recommendation is to get hermetically sealed casing (like teflon) on the cables to keep moisture out, which will keep the copper from oxidizing.

If there truly was a difference between audio cables, it would have been proven by now by simple double-blind testing. Properly conducted double-blind testing is accepted across all science disciplines as a valid way to remove researcher bias. And, every double-blind test that I have read about (even ones with audiophile "golden-eared" reviewers) have proven no statistical relevance to audio cabling differences.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:17 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know what kind of equipment you guys are listening to, but I can definately hear the difference between audio speaker cables. I used to have a 15' pair of the old 8AWG Mark Levinson speaker cable (very expensive), used it for years. Last year I got a set of much thinner, and cheaper Discovery cable. Now this cable doesn't look anywhere near as "cool" or "high-tech" as the old Levinson cable, maybe because it's thin and cheap looking, but let me say that the difference in sound was amazing. The high frequency responce just seemed to "open up" and I could hear fine details in cymbols, and more ambience of the sound. I could hear the "room" that the original recording was made in much better. The imaging was better, and the spatial characteristics of the soundstage was much much better. I liked the sound of that old cable, but the Discovery stuff is certainly improved in the areas that I mentioned. As for the bass, I couldn't hear any difference between the two, even though the old cables were 8AWG, and the new cable must be something like 12-14AWG, I'm not sure, but it looks pretty thin.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:25 AM
Pro

Originally posted by JetJock
I don't know what kind of equipment you guys are listening to, but I can definately hear the difference between audio speaker cables.
Ever heard an expression "it's all in your head"?
Old 02-28-2004, 12:51 PM
Andrenaline Junkie

Cables and More Zaino Info

There is definitely a difference in audio cables. The difference between the cheap cables that come with the gear and my Kimber PBJ is night and day and I have switched them back and forth. I have an Integra THX receiver and M & K 750 THX speakers which can be very revealing but there is definitely a difference, so much so that I took the PBJ's out from between my CD player and receiver because they were way to bright.

Back on Topic:

It rained a bunch in Phoenix this past week and weekend. It's kind of weird because there are absolutely no waterspots on my car. Even one of my customer's that balked at the amount of money I spent on the Zaino asked me if I had washed it since the rain. When I told him no, he said, "Maybe there is really something to that stuff." I know a week or two isn't enough time to tell, but it still seems mighty GLOSSY even after an acid bath from the sky.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:56 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is in my head starts in my ears.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:03 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

OK, I'm back on topic now.

I'm interested in using Zaino, since it's gotten quite a bit of good press here.

I'm also interested in not spending $100 for cleaning products for my car. Also, I don't want to spend a full day or two cleaning & polishing.

So, what Zaino products can I purchase and get the most "bang for my buck"? With all the different postings on this thread, it's hard to see what's the best products to purchase. Z6 appears to be a "must have".

Any other thoughts?
Old 02-28-2004, 09:06 PM
What's a TL?

Re: OK, I'm back on topic now.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by żGotJazz?
[B]I'm interested in using Zaino, since it's gotten quite a bit of good press here.

I'm also interested in not spending $100 for cleaning products for my car. Also, I don't want to spend a full day or two cleaning & polishing.

So, what Zaino products can I purchase and get the most "bang for my buck"? With all the different postings on this thread, it's hard to see what's the best products to purchase. Z6 appears to be a "must have".

IMO i would get the Z2, ZFX, Z6 and maybe the Z7 (car wash). The clay bars are unnecessary at the price you have to pay (can find elsewhere for cheaper). The Z5 is a scratch remover which is not necessary with a brand new car, and hopefully will never be necessary if the car is kept in good condition. The ZFX is worth it only because it makes the job much faster
Old 02-28-2004, 09:30 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

VTEC, Your list looks more reasonable ... Thanks!

BTW (please excuse my ignorance on this subject) - What is a clay bar for? How is it used? Is there a benefit for a new car?

Thanks again, guys!
Old 02-28-2004, 09:47 PM
Racer

Here's a link for those of you wanting to enhance your Zaino experience.
Autopia
Old 02-28-2004, 11:47 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Originally posted by kona
Here's a link for those of you wanting to enhance your Zaino experience.
Autopia
I'm sorry, but even if all that this David Bynon guy says is true, I think he raises doubt since he sells almost all the products he recommends through the autopia website.

At this point, I don't know how much he says is factual, and how much is infomercial.