Sponsored by:

XM sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 03:57 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by MikeRadio
"too much variety"

I mean isn't that up there with I have TOO MUCH money in the bank?? How can you have too much of a good thing that you don't get from regular radio!??! Yes, you tune around.. but that is EXCITING.
I get my excitment at a shooting range From radio I want quality.

You completelly missed my point about variety. My point is that it's not a "good" variety. Fox and UPN channels on TV have a lot of variety, but most of the shows are junk. It's similar on the XM, although not quite to this extent. Of the 100 songs from the 70s or 80s that they play on XM, I would maybe consider 15-20 to be good. The same is true (for me) of most other stations.

That's opposed to 106.9 FM oldies station in DC, where I like 95% of the songs they play. Clear now?

Also, you're wrong about the quality. For strong FM stations in the area, the quality is better than XM, or at least no worse.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Norse396
acuraddict,

What do you think about the repeated channels? Discovery, Old Time and even CNN played an older news show more than a few times. Is it that hard to keep content fresh or are contracts to blame?
I don't really know the answer, but that's an interesting question. I know that CNN will repeat news stories throughout the day because they anticipate their audience turning every hour, so that may be what you're experiencing. I have not listened to the news stations very much because I prefer NPR, and unfortunately its not available on XM. I wonder who is listening to VH1 and MTV on XM...it seems like they could be running better programming than this.

I have noticed that the comedy stations play far too much Jeff Foxworthy for my taste. If I never heard him again, I wouldn't miss him. I don't really quite get the point of channel 152, although it is described as a comedy channel.

The funniest thing I've heard so far on the comedy channel is Brian Regan. That guy makes me laugh so hard, that its unsafe to drive when I'm listening to him. His bit about kids playing baseball and yelling "hey batter batter, swing batter!" is a riot. Then he talks about the fact that softball is not played with a soft ball. He says "have you ever been hit in the face with a line drive soft ball? Don't worry, that's just blood light..I'm playing softball!" Brian Regan
Old 01-20-2004, 05:58 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by dulnev
I get my excitment at a shooting range From radio I want quality.

You completelly missed my point about variety. My point is that it's not a "good" variety. Fox and UPN channels on TV have a lot of variety, but most of the shows are junk. It's similar on the XM, although not quite to this extent. Of the 100 songs from the 70s or 80s that they play on XM, I would maybe consider 15-20 to be good. The same is true (for me) of most other stations.

That's opposed to 106.9 FM oldies station in DC, where I like 95% of the songs they play. Clear now?

Also, you're wrong about the quality. For strong FM stations in the area, the quality is better than XM, or at least no worse.
Well you just said it...

if you don't get exciteed abnout good music and real better radio maybe XM is not for you....

XM plays a LOT more than 100 songs from the 70s and 80s... listen to when they play every song from 1940 or something til today in order like they did a year ago... there are not 100 songs on XM... there are thousands hundred of even....

If you like 15-20 good songs and you hear them on 106.9, Maybe you should just take your California Dreamin, and the other songs that play over and over, burn them to CD and not bother with XM or FM.... or you should try that Sirius... I heard them and they sonund like the same trash you get for free...

And there is NO comparison between DC or FM stations anywhere else and the clean sound of XM... its a fact that digital is cleaner... that is why these FM stations are trying to do this digital thing.... that seems not to be working out
Old 01-20-2004, 07:30 PM
Pro

Originally posted by MikeRadio
Well you just said it...

if you don't get exciteed abnout good music and real better radio maybe XM is not for you....

XM plays a LOT more than 100 songs from the 70s and 80s... listen to when they play every song from 1940 or something til today in order like they did a year ago... there are not 100 songs on XM... there are thousands hundred of even....

If you like 15-20 good songs and you hear them on 106.9, Maybe you should just take your California Dreamin, and the other songs that play over and over, burn them to CD and not bother with XM or FM.... or you should try that Sirius... I heard them and they sonund like the same trash you get for free...

And there is NO comparison between DC or FM stations anywhere else and the clean sound of XM... its a fact that digital is cleaner... that is why these FM stations are trying to do this digital thing.... that seems not to be working out
Argh... Do you have a reading disability??? :bigun2:

The "100" number is illustrative, makes talking about percentages easier. It doesn't mean that they're only playing a hundred songs.

The reason great oldies stations play the same couple hundred songs, is because they are great songs. There were thousands of songs written over couple decades. Only a small percentage of them were good. Those are the ones that are played on great FM oldies stations. That's not the case with the 70s and 80s stations on XM.

And you show complete lack of understanding of audio when you say that digital is better than analog. Yes, it's cleaner, because of lack of interference, but it's not better than interference-free FM. Even CD sound, which is not compressed like XM is not better than high quality of analog recordings.

It's obvious that our views on XM are radically different. I consider this discussion to be over.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:06 PM
Burning Brakes

The reason great oldies stations play the same couple hundred songs, is because they are great songs. There were thousands of songs written over couple decades. Only a small percentage of them were good. Those are the ones that are played on great FM oldies stations. That's not the case with the 70s and 80s stations on XM.

And you show complete lack of understanding of audio when you say that digital is better than analog. Yes, it's cleaner, because of lack of interference, but it's not better than interference-free FM. Even CD sound, which is not compressed like XM is not better than high quality of analog recordings.

It's obvious that our views on XM are radically different. I consider this discussion to be over.
Do you think you can put away the "guns"? If you want to shoot people so badly, join the army.

Who the fawk are you to say that only a small percentage of songs from the 70's and 80's were, as you put it "good"? What the helll does "good" mean to you? Commercial airplay? Is that your measure of acceptable artistic creation? Are you really this stupid?

I'm not even going to get into the benefits of digital, static free sound quality vs. FM. I'm too bored.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:06 PM
Pro

The "100" number is illustrative, makes talking about percentages easier. It doesn't mean that they're only playing a hundred songs.

Sorry... I misunderstood what you said when you said 100 songs...

I feel sorry for you however if you think just a "small percentage" of them were good. There were and are now tons of good songs that are NOT even heard on the radio. For a meat and potatoes radio listener, I am sure FM would suffice however for those with tastes that these new huge radio companies do not allow the public to hear because of a number of reasons, I am glad there is XM.

Xm is cleaner than interfearance free FM.. The FM stations music sounds all squashed up like somneone put an EQ on the highest settings. XM may not have the PUNCH that all that EQ crap FM has puts out but its nice and crisp and clean... you hear sounds int he music you dont hear on FM...
Old 01-20-2004, 08:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally posted by acuraddict
Who the fawk are you to say that only a small percentage of songs from the 70's and 80's were, as you put it "good"?
Insofar as when most people say a particular piece of music is "good", they really mean "I like it", I think that, well, everyone has a right to say any particular piece of music is "good" or "bad" or "OK" or "great" or any other adjective they care to use to describe the degree to which they like it.

I can't believe you guys are getting so up in arms about each others taste in music or radio band preference. There are far more important things to get excited about, like whether our leather is cheap or not.

Mike
Old 01-20-2004, 09:26 PM
Instructor

Well, I've decided that I may not go forward with XM after all. This is a surprise and disappointment to me. I was looking into XM before I was looking at a new car - the idea is very promising.

Now I could be wrong on this, but it seems to me that XM plays music that would be the equivalent to those DVD's you see in the budget bins at the video store. They probably don't have to pay the same level of royalties and other fees for this music.

Additionally, the stations play the same selections. I'm in the car for about 3 hours a day and XM is no better than FM. Songs are often repeated.

I have eclectic tastes - folk, classical, rock, jazz, progressive rock, bluegrass - anything that is genuine. I can't find any stations that play music in any of these genre's that I want to listen to. I'm not an oldies fan so I don't like the 40's thru 80's stations.

I wanted to like XM but I'm disappointed. I think the bottom line is that they've found a way to get bargain bin music at bargain bin prices, put this music onto computers and programmed them to play either random selections or a loop. I mean, even the jazz and classical stations play uninteresting run of the mill music.

Oh well.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:36 PM
Pro

Originally posted by youngmic
I wanted to like XM but I'm disappointed. I think the bottom line is that they've found a way to get bargain bin music at bargain bin prices, put this music onto computers and programmed them to play either random selections or a loop. I mean, even the jazz and classical stations play uninteresting run of the mill music.
That's EXACTLY how I feel! I forgot to mention this before, but I too was looking into buying XM equipment before considering the new TL. Our company has a partnership deal with XM and we get a decent equipment discount. I'm a techno-geek and want to try every new gadget and I'd love nothing more than to like XM.

I do hope that their repertoire improves with time. I'll try them a year later to see if that has happened.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:10 PM
Instructor

The real question is why do SIRIUS listeners get a chance to have Pamela Anderson wash their cars and us XM listeners have to
take on this responsibility by ourselves?
Is their money greener than ours?

Pamela can wash my bumper anytime that she would like to and I won't even videotape her work!

Eneg - Florida, what a great place to be in January!
Old 01-21-2004, 06:06 AM
Pro

Originally posted by youngmic
Well, I've decided that I may not go forward with XM after all. This is a surprise and disappointment to me. I was looking into XM before I was looking at a new car - the idea is very promising.

Now I could be wrong on this, but it seems to me that XM plays music that would be the equivalent to those DVD's you see in the budget bins at the video store. They probably don't have to pay the same level of royalties and other fees for this music.

Additionally, the stations play the same selections. I'm in the car for about 3 hours a day and XM is no better than FM. Songs are often repeated.

I have eclectic tastes - folk, classical, rock, jazz, progressive rock, bluegrass - anything that is genuine. I can't find any stations that play music in any of these genre's that I want to listen to. I'm not an oldies fan so I don't like the 40's thru 80's stations.

Oh well.
Im in the car sometimes more than 3 hours travelling and never hear songs repeated... unless you flip around to some popular channels or something maybe.. but I dont know where you get that things are repeated...

And I dont get it.. you said you have eclectic tastes... folk, jazz progressive rock bluegrass and you can't find any stations that play music in any of those genres....?? XM has stations in ALL of them!....

Are you sure your radio is activated?
Old 01-21-2004, 06:11 AM
Instructor

MikeRadio, your posting was very witty and funny.

Thanks it was an enjoyable read.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:01 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Chitown-TL
MikeRadio, your posting was very witty and funny.

Thanks it was an enjoyable read.
Thanks... but I was being serious

The poster said what he likes and that there are no channels like them.. and there are... so I figure he may have not been a subscriber or had an activated radio!
Old 01-21-2004, 09:15 AM
Banned

Originally posted by eneg
The real question is why do SIRIUS listeners get a chance to have Pamela Anderson wash their cars and us XM listeners have to
take on this responsibility by ourselves?
Is their money greener than ours?

Pamela can wash my bumper anytime that she would like to and I won't even videotape her work!

Eneg - Florida, what a great place to be in January!
:lol2:

I agree, and think we should get Shaina Twain to do us (I mean our cars ) by being XM subscribers.