Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wreck repair advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 11:08 AM
07 NBP TL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wreck repair advice

Last week I was on my way home from the airport and another driver failed to yield the right-of-way at a signal protected intersection. I hit the other vehicle at about 45 mph broadside on the passenger-side. My TL is less than 2 months old and it's messed up pretty bad. So far the insurance is saying that it's repairable but there is greater than $15,000 in damage. I'm concerned that the vehicle will have chronic problems in the future and never be the same again.

I'm not sure what was damaged mechanically; but cosmetically the front bumper, hood, front quarter panels, and grill were trashed. Both airbags deployed as well. I'll try to attach pictures but I'm new at this.

I opened the trunk to get my wifes luggage out; it didn't open because of the wreck.

If anyone has any advice I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:18 AM
Racer

Well, $15k will not take it over the limit for the insurance to total it so it will be fixed. The entire front end's sheet metal will be replaced. If you take it to a reputable body shop, they will want to re-paint the entire car to make sure it matches. You absolutely have serious frame damage. The frame is bent inward (downward) in the front and since you said the trunk will not open, the frame (unibody) is also twisted from the lateral pull of the other vehicle during impact.
A really good body shop can get your car back to a near factory condition but you will have creaks/rattles that will be more pronounced (this car without accidents has rattles anyway). Also, since both air bags deployed, they will have to replace the dash as well.

You will absolutely have diminished value in this vehicle now from the accident and it will most likely be reported to carfax. Sorry for your misfortune but I hope no one was injured in the accident. That is the most important thing. The car is just a car and money is just that as well.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:20 AM
Instructor

get it fixed sell it for a lose and get a new car.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:49 AM
07 NBP TL-S

Thanks for the input DAVENLEI, but that's what I was afraid of...

Do you think, after repair, the vehicle will be as safe as it was before?

The trunk wasn't damaged because of the wreck. In the pictures the trunk is opened and I didn't want someone to think that the impact of the accident caused the trunk to open. The trunk still functions normally.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
do you mean it didn't open via the fob on inside? if so, the TL cuts off power when it detects it is in an accident
Old 09-29-2006, 06:31 PM
07 NBP TL-S

Originally Posted by csmeance
do you mean it didn't open via the fob on inside? if so, the TL cuts off power when it detects it is in an accident
I used the console button to open the trunk; didn't even try the fob. I can't remember if the power stayed on but the engine was still running. I shut it off because it was making a clicking sound. Probably the fan hitting the radiator.

I really couldn't belive how little anything changed in the cabin. The airbags went off but other than that everything was so surreal and peaceful. I can't praise Acura enough for how safe the cabin was for us.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:39 PM
Senior Moderator

if you could open the hood and take pictures of the inside, we can give you more ideas on what to do. Also can you do side shots of the car and shots of the rear of the car. Just by those pics that you have already provided, you would need to change front bumper, fenders, wheel well area, radiator, headlights, colant resivor, windshieldwasher resiveror, battery, plastic covers, grill, hood, and the dash due to airbag and steering wheel airbag. Of course there will be frame damage, but any good bodyshop can cut it off and weld a new one on (thats what they did to my cousins civic)
Old 09-30-2006, 02:23 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Hope no one got hurt first of all. Your car and mine were twins.

Our MDX was hit passenger side front fender and received about half the damage of yours a few years ago but including both airbags. Funny, another person ran a stop sign at about 40 MPH. We took it to the repair shop recommended by our insurance but that I had also had good previous experience with.

Repairs were ~$8-9,000. They did a great job on the body work and interior and paint. One axle had to be replaced and one tire and rim. It turned out the the front clip or engine cradle was pushed about one inch out of line. This was discovered maeby six months after the repair. The insurance company then paid for a frame shop to get it back in line. All repairs are guaranteed by both the body shop and my insurance company as long as we own the vechicle.

The MDX had about 10k miles at the time of the accident and has almost 30k now. It runs and feels normal. The only other thing I can say is check your coverage very carefully and find an excellent body shop if possible from your insurers approved list. This may give you the extended coverage.

CA excludes diminished value claims, your state may not. We decided to keep our MDX because we feel that it is safe and we have already taken whatever financil hit that it will receive. The etended coverage through my insurance company made the decision easier in our case. Sorry for the long post but hope it helps. Also, there is a post here somewhere about a TL that even had its roof replaced. Acura does indeed build cars that can take a lickin'. Keep us posted on your outcomes.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:29 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

For the record, no creaks or rattles from my MDX (30k) or my TL (25k).
Old 09-30-2006, 12:58 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I'd also like to see pics of the engine bay
Old 10-01-2006, 10:54 AM
Racer

If you take the car to a reputable dealer who will fix everything properly and properly straighten the frame, you should be good. I have had cars hit very bad in the past and good body shops can work wonders.
When all is done, I think you will be fine. You may notice some creaks and rattles but like I said, our cars generally rattle anyway so you wont know if it is from the acciden or not. Once the car is repaired, I would just check the alignment of the body panels/dashboard, color match of the paint (in the direct sun), steering (pulling to the left or right), braking feel, engine noise/temp, etc.
One thing, with that level of damage, it will probably take the body shop 1-2 months to complete the repairs.
Also, if you do not live in a state which excludes diminished value compensation, make sure you get an estimate on diminished value and get that back from the other party's insurance.
It is a very nice car but in 5-10 years it will just be that 'old-TL' you bought way back when. So don't stress too much about it. There are better things to put your focus on.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:00 AM
Racer

Above I said 'reputable dealer'. I meant to say, 'reputable repair shop'.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:44 PM
07 NBP TL-S

I appreciate everyones advice. I don't feel like I'm AS screwed anymore

Like everyones mentioned; I'm thankful that my wife and I are ok. It just sucks that she only got to spend 2 minutes in our new car before this happened.

I'll try to get to the repair shop and get some "under the hood" pics.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:18 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unfortunately, somewhere along the line you are going to have to claim the car was in an accident when you go to sell or trade it. At that point, many will run and hide from it. Those that don't will want to buy it at a reduced value.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:41 PM
Senior Moderator

if it is not claimed by insurance and paid out of your pocket, then know one will know. Also if the car is traded in, go to carmax (not as tough checking) since acura dealerships measure everything and look for any bodywork that might have been preformed.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:20 AM
07 NBP TL-S

engine pics

Sorry it's taken me a few days but, for those that were interested, here are some engine bay photos.

I spoke to the mechanic doing the repair work and he tried to be reassuring and positive. He said that he'll have it "better than new".

Walking into the garage and seeing her up on the lift reminded me of how much I love my car; I can't wait to have her back.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:44 PM
Senior Moderator

the frame will most likely need to be cut off and a new one welded on, good thing is the motor didn't push back. All you need is that new frame, a new radiator, new hoses/harnesses, fenders, bumper, Hood, grill surround, wheel-well area, revesivors for fluids, dash and driver airbag and maybe the side airbags too. Also the seatbelts may have to be changed sine there is a charge in them that locks the seatbelt in place (i read this somewhere on here) BTW, you will need a new airbox, you can use this opertunity to get an AEM cold air intake to boost performance.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
First off I am glad that you both are unhurt. Secondly !! way to go TL you performed flawlessly. looking at these pictures it is hard to believe that this was a 45 mph collision. while the pictures were loading I was prepared to see an unrecognizable piece of twisted metal. I have seen lesser vehicles destroyed by collisions half that speed. Heck, all of the glass is intact and the headlights didnt break! This vehicle is completely repairable. keep the pictures to show the future buyer just what was bent, $15,000 of collision repair would sounds like it was catastrophic for most people, but seeing the pics most people would think it was an ordinary collision. Its just that 15K doesnt get you much at the body shop these days!
Old 10-05-2006, 02:58 PM
Racer

The frame damage is not bad enough to warrant cutting the frame from what I can see. They will pull it which is good. If a frame has to be cut and a front end from another car needs to be put on, I would dump the car as fast as possible. But again from what I see, it is no where near that level of damage to require that. It actually does not look that bad after seeing some of the parts off the car. The body shop should have you just as good as new.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:34 PM
Advanced

Hit the insurance co. up for a couple of extra thousand (pain and suffering), put it in the bank, drive the car for 3 to 5 years by then the body style will change and nobody will care about the accident then get another new car.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:16 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,231 Likes on 2,613 Posts
I was curious as to how many frame components Acura supplies for the TL. It's quite a few from this parts list below.

http://www.acuraparts247.com/prddisp...All&vinsrch=no

It looks like almost everything in front of the firewall is replaceable with new frame metal.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:33 PM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Wow this car has almost the same amount of damage my 05 tl had that i bought from a insurance company. it was salvaged. only the driver airbag was blown. u will preety much need to replace that radiator shroud. they will need to cut the old one off and weld the new on in place. also make sure that the core support is not bent cuz on mine it was bend on the corner and i will told that if i dont change that the car will not drive straight cuz the suspension was linked to it. in the picture it dosent look like the core was damaged but i could be wrong. it dosent look like u will need the headlights which is a great thing since acura wants to charge an asshole and a half for those things. bottom line is that 15k sounds a lot for that damage. condersing the fast that i had to replace alot more things and it onlky cost me about 8k.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:48 PM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
i don't understand why this car is not salvaged. i know for a fact that if this car was selling in a auto auction it would not sell for more than 8-9k
Old 10-09-2006, 10:42 AM
07 NBP TL-S

I received the final quote in the mail Friday... $13657.49 That's parts & labor. Now I'm just waiting on parts to come in so they can begin the repair process. The rental that I'm driving is a Chevy HHR and it's definatley no Acura. But it gets great gas mileage.

Thanks to everyone for the advice ~
Old 10-09-2006, 12:13 PM
Burning Brakes

I dont think the frame is damaged. The fenders, hood, radiator support, radiator, bumper support, bumper, airbags possibly the headlights, and possibly the engine cradel should be replaced. I cannot think off the top of my head, but these are some. Its not that bad if the frame straight, the front is just sheet metal and just has to be replaced and realigned.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:12 AM
Intermediate

VIEWER ADVISORY this is graphic people

this happen last week i was on 2 lane highway going like 45 and the car infront of me slammed on the breaks I was able to stop on time but the car behind me was going so fast that it slammed me so hard in the back that it send me like a pinball towards the car infront me , at that point both airbags deployed.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:12 AM
Intermediate

Old 11-01-2006, 01:15 AM
Intermediate

I must add that the person infront of me was in pretty bad shape and the driver of the car that hit me in the back (nissan altima ) had to be cut out with the jaws of life he was also in bad shape , me I'm unbreakable lol I must say acura makes a pretty safe car
Old 11-01-2006, 01:17 AM
Intermediate

I owe 12k out of 17k on this 2002 tl , it looks like a total loss ,who knows how the insurance companies going to settle this all I know is i better get my money
Old 11-01-2006, 10:22 AM
Intermediate

Old 11-01-2006, 10:35 AM
Not a dude.

Originally Posted by COCAINE.TL
I must add that the person infront of me was in pretty bad shape and the driver of the car that hit me in the back (nissan altima ) had to be cut out with the jaws of life he was also in bad shape , me I'm unbreakable lol I must say acura makes a pretty safe car
Sorry about your ride. It sure looks like a total to me.

Wow those are some amazing pictures. I'm glad you're okay.

Why did the person in front of you slam on their brakes anyway?
Old 11-01-2006, 11:03 AM
Intermediate

there was 2 cars stalled and according to the driver infront of me she didnt see any hazzard lights
Old 11-01-2006, 11:54 AM
Intermediate

when i bought my TL i also purchased 3 year replacement value.
SO if I was involved in a wreck like that, I would hope it gets replaced, and I would push for it if they try to fix it instead of replacing it.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Senior Moderator

wow, ur car held up pretty nicely for being a "pinball". Were the other ppl okay that were in the wreck? (lady with jaws of life)
Old 11-02-2006, 06:58 AM
07 NBP TL-S

Glad you're ok.

My TL is still in the shop being repaired. The final tally (so far) for my repair is $15,200; I'm assuming that yours will be totaled, because the damage is far worse.

Again, I'm glad you weren't hurt.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathan.chance
Glad you're ok.

My TL is still in the shop being repaired. The final tally (so far) for my repair is $15,200; I'm assuming that yours will be totaled, because the damage is far worse.

Again, I'm glad you weren't hurt.

I am curious as to what the insurance company said the value of the car was compared to the repairs. I have hear different companies use between 51 and 80% of value. It looked like the engine was not damaged for the most part. Did any fluids leak out on the road?

I ask since well I was doing 50 getting ready to merge onto route 495 and suddenly in the dark and MDX appeared and well it was across both lanes with the lights out and I hit it. Air bag deployed... the entire nose was demolished. The engine looks crooked in the car and well the tires are now the front of the car. Both front doors are ruined, quarters, probably engine and even the shifter console is popped up a bit. The air filter box was inthe road way... I am pushing for a total since I cannot imagine keeping the car.

The best thing which I was pissed about I was told to keep the car at the salvage yard and it looked like they used a skid steer to move it. The are saying it is a total but untill I get word, it's my hardware there. It rained and since one door is demolished, it's raining inside the car now....
Old 11-03-2006, 08:14 AM
07 NBP TL-S

Originally Posted by mickey3c
I am curious as to what the insurance company said the value of the car was compared to the repairs. I have hear different companies use between 51 and 80% of value. It looked like the engine was not damaged for the most part. Did any fluids leak out on the road?

I ask since well I was doing 50 getting ready to merge onto route 495 and suddenly in the dark and MDX appeared and well it was across both lanes with the lights out and I hit it. Air bag deployed... the entire nose was demolished. The engine looks crooked in the car and well the tires are now the front of the car. Both front doors are ruined, quarters, probably engine and even the shifter console is popped up a bit. The air filter box was inthe road way... I am pushing for a total since I cannot imagine keeping the car.

The best thing which I was pissed about I was told to keep the car at the salvage yard and it looked like they used a skid steer to move it. The are saying it is a total but untill I get word, it's my hardware there. It rained and since one door is demolished, it's raining inside the car now....
I was told by my claim rep that the cost for repair had to be 80% to be considered a total loss. My insurance company is USAA but the claim is being settled by the other drivers’ insurance company (State Farm). I'm not sure if it's different for different companies.

I had a little bit of fluid leaking; but it was because the radiator overflow tank was damaged. Nothing significant...

Everything from the firewall forward was removed and rebuilt/replaced on my car. I went and checked on it weekly throughout the repair process and always took my digital camera. I tried to document everything and my biggest concern right now is the interior. The parchment interior look horrible last time I saw it - from the repair process, not the accident.

It was supposed to go to the wheel alignment shop yesterday and then to be detailed this morning. I'm hoping today is the day that I get my baby back.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well best of luck with the car repair and any issues that might occur afterwards. I got the word that mine is a total loss. Now I have to see what an 05 is worth and pick up a check. What to buy...

G35, TL, audi A4.... I walked away from the accident so I have faith in the hardware holding up. Not sure if I want something more performance oriented since well... it seems it costs more to maintain. I am afraid if I do not get a TL or a G I will miss the performance too much. Gas prices being they way they are maybe it is time to get a 4 banger... but alas no more fun driving!!!
Old 11-03-2006, 10:54 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Please do share what they come up with for a value. I don't think I want to really go back to a 4 cylineder, do you?

Acuras keep proving how well they protect passengers in crashes, something to think about while you are trying to decide which way to go.

Originally Posted by mickey3c
well best of luck with the car repair and any issues that might occur afterwards. I got the word that mine is a total loss. Now I have to see what an 05 is worth and pick up a check. What to buy...

G35, TL, audi A4.... I walked away from the accident so I have faith in the hardware holding up. Not sure if I want something more performance oriented since well... it seems it costs more to maintain. I am afraid if I do not get a TL or a G I will miss the performance too much. Gas prices being they way they are maybe it is time to get a 4 banger... but alas no more fun driving!!!
Old 11-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Intermediate

I'm getting the police report today I hope the other drivers were insured

Quick Reply: wreck repair advice