Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy another one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:07 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you buy another one?

I am looking at a 06 TL with 50,000 on it. How would you guys rate your experience with your TL? Is it a problem car? Is it reliable? How is your highway fuel economy? I'm just looking for a dependable ride. No performance upgrades, etc. Thanks for all replys.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I bought mine with about 70,000 kms now it has about 110,000 and nothing has ever broken down on it. Just did preventive maintenance (oil changes, filter changes, tranny flush, brake fluid flush, and that's it). This car is as cheap to maintain as a compact. Highway fuel economy is great, around 33 mpg, though city fuel economy is not so great (though still not bad for a car with this much power). I would definitely buy another one although I wish I'd gotten the manual.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:03 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
My experience has been even better than I thought it would be and most cars disappoint me. With the exception of the havoc created by one incompetent body shop, in 93,000 miles all it's needed is oil changes, transmission solenoids ($80, they're a PM item), a couple air filters, a headlight, and tires. The only things that aren't normal wear items are the headlight and solenoids but that's not bad for over 4 years and nearly 100K. Mine still looks and drives like new. People can never believe it has so many miles.

It consumes no oil, no leaks, trans shifts better than new, it's never left me stranded, and I think it will always have a timeless look. 10 years from now I think it will still be desirable and probably the best looking Acura ever made....well maybe next to the NSX.

There's a thread going on right now with one guy that has put over 200,000 miles on his and it's unbelievable how little work it's needed. He's even on the original clutch.

If the 3G TL were still being made when I'm in the market for a new car, I would buy another. I've thought about or I should say I will probably keep an eye out for a low mileage TL if mine ever needs replacing.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:07 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I might buy a later generation model (not the 4G)?
Old 07-10-2010, 06:57 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
My experience has been even better than I thought it would be and most cars disappoint me. With the exception of the havoc created by one incompetent body shop, in 93,000 miles all it's needed is oil changes, transmission solenoids ($80, they're a PM item), a couple air filters, a headlight, and tires. The only things that aren't normal wear items are the headlight and solenoids but that's not bad for over 4 years and nearly 100K. Mine still looks and drives like new. People can never believe it has so many miles.

It consumes no oil, no leaks, trans shifts better than new, it's never left me stranded, and I think it will always have a timeless look. 10 years from now I think it will still be desirable and probably the best looking Acura ever made....well maybe next to the NSX.

There's a thread going on right now with one guy that has put over 200,000 miles on his and it's unbelievable how little work it's needed. He's even on the original clutch.

If the 3G TL were still being made when I'm in the market for a new car, I would buy another. I've thought about or I should say I will probably keep an eye out for a low mileage TL if mine ever needs replacing.
To this day, I still turn around and look lovingly at my '04 TL when leaving it in a parking lot somewhere as I do some shopping or such. Truly one of the best designs of its time. How many cars can you say really look good from every angle? This one does, hands down.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:03 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by phatocaster
I am looking at a 06 TL with 50,000 on it. How would you guys rate your experience with your TL? Is it a problem car? Is it reliable? How is your highway fuel economy? I'm just looking for a dependable ride. No performance upgrades, etc. Thanks for all replys.
I own two 3G TL's. Mine is an '04 manual and my wife's is an '05 automatic, both bought new. The only problem ever experienced with either car was a dead battery, seven weeks after purchase which was due to a flatlined outside temperature display. This occurred with my '04 TL. It has never happened again and I attribute it to a power surge under specific conditions. Both cars have been flawless and I enjoy driving mine so much (remember, it's a manual), that I take it out just for the joy of driving, which I refer to as a "TL moment".

I don't car for the 4G TL's at all and would not buy one simply because of their appearance. My '04 fits me and my needs to near perfection so I'm still happy. When a car ceases to entertain me, I begin to get antsy and starting looking at other offerings. Other than curiosity (I love the new 2011 Mustang V8), I am keeping my TL for the foreseeable future.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:05 AM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars

Are those the same as the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches?
Old 07-10-2010, 09:48 AM
8th Gear

Still love my '04 ABP at 121K

I agree with a lot of you that I wouldn't buy the 4th gen...just can't handle the beak on that car, or much else in terms of it's styling. I have held on to this car longer than any car I've ever owned. I agree that the looks are timeless and classic from any angle. I would consider buying a newer 3rd gen TL or hope that the next gen designers knock one out of the park. I keep thinking about alternatives, but nothing else grabs me as much or has as many features or is as reliable as this car.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:08 AM
3rd Gear

I am going back to the Acura dealer today to talk to them about a TL. They have two Type S TL's on the lot for around 20. I am going to drive one just to see if I like them better than the standard TL. I love the wheels on the type s but I don't want to base my opinion on just the wheels. Is the type S just a appearance package? Does the type S have the same engine and all as a standard TL? Once I decide I will let you guys know. Thanks for the replys.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
I have an '05 bought new which is still under 65K miles. It has required only normal maintenance, including recent replacement of the OEM battery and tires. The TL was originally leased for business purposes. I was looking for a replacement at the beginning of last year, but couldn't find a car I liked as much and bought out the TL for the time being.
I wouldn't hesitate to get a 3G TL, preferably a Type-S though, if I had to replace my car.
Is the type S just a appearance package? Does the type S have the same engine and all as a standard TL?
No-- the Type-S also has a bigger engine (3.5 liter v. 3.2) with 28 more horsepower and firmer suspension and steering settings. Only the Type-S is available with a manual transmission in the '07-'08 models.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a '05 TL with about 87k miles. I would definitely do it all over again. It's been pretty reliable for me. The only issue I have is my NAV went out...getting a disc error. I haven't brought it to the dealership though so it could be an easy fix - doubt it but possible.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 08 type-S and I had an accident and just in case It was totaled out I was looing for another one. Since the moment I saw the car in the dealer, drove it I felt in love with it. After I bought I found this forum and it was the best thing ever happened. If I would've found this forum earlier I would've buy the TL sooner.

I would buy another one with my eyes shut.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by apnorm
I have a '05 TL with about 87k miles. I would definitely do it all over again. It's been pretty reliable for me. The only issue I have is my NAV went out...getting a disc error. I haven't brought it to the dealership though so it could be an easy fix - doubt it but possible.
Dealer will charge you $3,000 to replace it. Dealers don't repair Nav units, replacement only.

Send the unit to Alpine and they will fix it for $150 and mail it back to you.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
personally, no. I love this car, the styling is second to none for the "under 40K crowd" and then even above that . However as great as this car is, and as sexy as she presents herself on the road, and sitting in the garage, parking lot (you know that I mean) I do believe that I will go the RWD route with my next car- insert the G sedan or previous gen M from Infiniti- I will no doubt keep this car several more years, but unfortunately do not see myself remaining loyal to Honda as the years progress * unless they develop RWD.*
Old 07-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

This is great thread and I don't mean to hijack it from the initial purpose of the OP, but I am just curious as hell. How many of you 4G owners would buy or lease the new 4G TL? does the MMC changes to the grill change your opinions at all are would you still not buy it?
Old 07-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
^ please don't hijack this thread. There are threads in 3G previously made in regards to your question. Do a search for them. Thanks.

OP- The only regret I have is not buying the 6MT.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ggesq
^ please don't hijack this thread. There are threads in 3G previously made in regards to your question. Do a search for them. Thanks.

OP- The only regret I have is not buying the 6MT.
I did do a search in the 3G TL section for "would you buy the new TL, would you buy the 4G TL, new TL reaction, etc" and this thread is the 1st one to pop up every time and its the most accurately named so thats not my fault! If I try to put 2009 TL or 2010 TL in it comes up with an error!
Old 07-10-2010, 10:09 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
I personally didn't buy my TL (which I am very thankful for). But there isn't another car out there I'd rather be driving. BMW 3 series? No. 5 series? No. Infinity G? No. I fall in love with my car over and over when I step on the gas and hear the rock-solid 3.2 VTEC hard at work. Performance-wise, my car is bone stock and I plan to keep it that way. No need to mess with the performance reliability Honda has packed into this car. I've picked up automotive detailing as a hobby/side job as a result of trying to keep my car in mint condition. I've had my car for a year now and it still amazes me every time I drive it.

In college I'll probably get a new car. What that will be? Who knows. Maybe a used 4G with SH-AWD since I've been so pleased with this TL.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Instructor

I just bought an 05 TL with 30,000 miles and 7-year extended warranty. After 2-weeks of ownership, I dont think I'll buy another TL unless the price is that good.

Reason: I bought the car with 1-crack and it turned into 5-cracks in 2-weeks on the dash. Local Acura will not cover it under "good will" and they email Acura Coorperate if Coorperate will fix it. Claim got denied by coorperate. Dont think dash should be an issue for a "Luxury" Honda considering I owned an Accord (1991,1997,2000,2002,2005) and an S2000 (2002). None of those cars EVER had a crack dash and I wasnt the best to wash my car.

Reason 2: Car RATTLES more than my 2005 accord that I also currently drive and rattles more than every Honda I ever own including the S2000 at 9,000rpm. Opps, can't hear rattle in any car at 9,000RPM.

If I recommend a car, it would be a V6 Accord 2003-2007. The best Honda ever built to me was the 1990-1997 Accord as those cars are tanks. Engine and Auto trans NEVER broke even after 200,000 miles and no rattles even after 200,000 miles.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
I too didn't have to pay for mine. I was fortunate enough to get it at the age of 16. Growing up in a family who drives European cars, I taking a liking to them more than Asian cars...so to be honest, I wouldn't get another TL. The new ones are ugly, and getting a Type-S in 6 years when I graduate college just doesn't make sense to me. I will most likely get a BMW. But for now, I am very happy with my car...there isn't a single car I would of rather had...
Old 07-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by TLDude876
Are those the same as the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches?
yes.

I for one still keep looking back when I leave the car. its a great car for the price. the value is definitely there, and aside from a couple of times where the battery died (and was promptly replaced), its been practically trouble-free.

the above mentioned preventive maintenance on the 3rd and 4th gear switches, one tire replacement (as a set), regular oil changes and one trans fluid change is all Ive done in the past 4 years and 50K+ miles.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Yes as well.

I bought a 2006 new and it has just 33K miles now. The only problem I had was the first month when the drivers door speaker blew. Outside of that it has been a trouble-free car. I have replaced the tires, battery, fluids, wipers, and air filters only. I love the car so much that I just ordered a better armrest from www.redlinegoods.com since the stock one is starting to show some wear with the 4 years. I think this car is a keeper for another 6-8 years for me.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug
I might buy a later generation model (not the 4G)?

+1...I would definitely buy another Type S-IF it looked as good or better than the 3G.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
Yes as well.

I bought a 2006 new and it has just 33K miles now. The only problem I had was the first month when the drivers door speaker blew. Outside of that it has been a trouble-free car. I have replaced the tires, battery, fluids, wipers, and air filters only. I love the car so much that I just ordered a better armrest from www.redlinegoods.com since the stock one is starting to show some wear with the 4 years. I think this car is a keeper for another 6-8 years for me.
Thanks for that link. I'm ordering the armrest and e-brake cover. Did you get one with extra padding or stock?
Old 07-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
^ Yes I got the 3/4" padding upgrade. I have the parchment interior and figured Sierra was the best match for me- was a little tempted to go with Black for the contrast-affect but chickened out. Someone on this forum bought the armrest a while back which is how I found the link. Hopefully, I'll get the kit before next weekend.

A simple $77 upgrade armrest will be all it takes for me to have another 4-6 years of fun and comfortable ownership experience with the 3G TL.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
^ Yes I got the 3/4" padding upgrade. I have the parchment interior and figured Sierra was the best match for me- was a little tempted to go with Black for the contrast-affect but chickened out. Someone on this forum bought the armrest a while back which is how I found the link. Hopefully, I'll get the kit before next weekend.

A simple $77 upgrade armrest will be all it takes for me to have another 4-6 years of fun and comfortable ownership experience with the 3G TL.
Good to hear. Could you post pictures when you get it installed? I'm undecided to get just the covering or the smaller extra padding. I honestly think we can get an even longer life out these since they use a high quality leather vs the factory vinyl.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Not sure if you're still around OP, but here's my two cents
50,000 on an 06 is great mileage. Very dependable car. Just make sure to buy decent or snow tires in winter. Even though it's FWD, it isn't perfect atleast in my Colorado winters.
My MPG is hugely affected by my heavy foot and supercharger but I'm getting 22 MPG (60highway/40streets). Hope this helps.

-Kevin
Old 07-11-2010, 04:52 PM
CARBON FIBER WDP TL

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
i would buy another one 3g tho mayb 08 type s
Old 07-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cjTL
I personally didn't buy my TL (which I am very thankful for). But there isn't another car out there I'd rather be driving. BMW 3 series? No. 5 series? No. Infinity G? No. I fall in love with my car over and over when I step on the gas and hear the rock-solid 3.2 VTEC hard at work. Performance-wise, my car is bone stock and I plan to keep it that way. No need to mess with the performance reliability Honda has packed into this car. I've picked up automotive detailing as a hobby/side job as a result of trying to keep my car in mint condition. I've had my car for a year now and it still amazes me every time I drive it.

In college I'll probably get a new car. What that will be? Who knows. Maybe a used 4G with SH-AWD since I've been so pleased with this TL.
Infinity no, especially with that major oil consumption issue
Old 07-12-2010, 07:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
It certainly would depend on the appearance of the car when we're ready to do the purchase. Although we have had no problems with the TL, if the car at that time still resembled the 4G, we certainly wouldn’t even consider the TL. When we decide to purchase, the car must have the appearance, color, interior, ergonomics, performance and price range we require, so it would be a wait and see.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:44 AM
3rd Gear

I have owned different models for 10+ years and i am sure I will continue, i have owned a 97 3.0 Cl, 95- Integra, 2004 tsx (love it) and a 2008 Tl love it too. Great cars and super reliable with regular maintenance.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Thoroughly happy with the car. I bought it brand new. It's been 5 years of relatively trouble free ownership. I've taken it in for routine maintenance. I've had to replace the tires once, and battery twice. A couple of the motors for the windows had to be replaced (all under warranty). I have about 57K miles on it. I am 8.5/10 satisfied. I have my iSimple so I have integrated music. Only regrets are probably not getting the Nav.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
love my car ... had a few issues with it but relatively minor and all covered under warranty. there is not another car out there i would rather be driving right now in the same price range. the fwd isn't even an issue for me as i dont drive my car hard so i never feel the torque steer.

i would def buy another one, but i would have to make sure it is in 6mt as that is the biggest regret i have with this car.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
Definitely would and already have.

Bought an 04 TL 6 speed with Nav in Jan 04 and traded it Nov 09 for an 08 TLs 6 speed.

We have been a Honda family since 88 and only ventured away for 2 years with a Lexus ES330. We replaced that with an MDX. Don't see us changing or moving away anytime soon.

Last edited by NBP04TL4ME; 08-08-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jeowen
personally, no. I love this car, the styling is second to none for the "under 40K crowd" and then even above that . However as great as this car is, and as sexy as she presents herself on the road, and sitting in the garage, parking lot (you know that I mean) I do believe that I will go the RWD route with my next car- insert the G sedan or previous gen M from Infiniti- I will no doubt keep this car several more years, but unfortunately do not see myself remaining loyal to Honda as the years progress * unless they develop RWD.*
Agreed 110%
Old 08-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
yup!!

this is car #18 for me... I leased it new in september of 06 and have about 45K. I have had only two trips to the dealer for non scheduled maintenance..1 for a rattling parcel shelf with the base up high, and 2 for a missing outer door handle trim piece. I am going to buy it out of the lease and keep it long term.
Highway economy is great for a car of this performance level, about 30 with normal driving.. about 20 overall in mixed driving. I think its a great dependable ride, with great performance and smooth ride.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jeowen
If I didn't have a RWD fast car sitting in the garage, this is exactly what I would have written so I agree.

If only Honda would do a RWD version of the 3G it would be awesome. Keep the exact same suspension setup but make it RWD. It would be a 3 series killer. Imagine slightly better handling, RWD, and better weight distribution. I don't know what they're waiting on.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
I would take a look at the increasing number of people having issues with the 5at once the cars get 70+K on them. I really don't care what people say about how these trans are reliable cause the increasing mumber of people reporting issues has gone up once the cars get higher milage.... have you ever wonderd why Honda replacd the unit with a 4 shaft design?

Those of you waiting for a RWD Acura might want to come back to reality cause AWD is as close as your are going to get......
Old 08-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
I would take a look at the increasing number of people having issues with the 5at once the cars get 70+K on them. I really don't care what people say about how these trans are reliable cause the increasing mumber of people reporting issues has gone up once the cars get higher milage.... have you ever wonderd why Honda replacd the unit with a 4 shaft design?

Those of you waiting for a RWD Acura might want to come back to reality cause AWD is as close as your are going to get......
Of course you will get more failures as the cars age. As long as they're over 100K you can't call them unreliable. We've only had a few on here fail before that. You 2nd gens had a ton. Ours ARE more reliable period.

There are many, many TLs over 100K now. There are just a couple threads on trans failures and most are over 100K. The numer of failures is definately no higher than any other manufacturer. Instead of always putting them down, maybe you should start accepting the fact that some of the issues have been fixed. These are not 2nd gen cars, they're 3rd gens. Now if Honda would just start using a good fluid they would be great.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:20 PM

Received 9,507 Likes on 6,176 Posts
I love my 04 TL to death, but if I could do it over again with a increased budget, I would get a 6-speed and also try to get Navi. Even without those things, I would buy the TL again in a heartbeat. It's a great looking car with plenty of power and creature comforts. The only thing that I find annoying is the constant rattles from interior panels.

Quick Reply: Would you buy another one?