3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would I reget upgrading from the regular TL to the Type-S?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by robocam
Miniscule difference between the base and the type S TL.

My dad had an E34 and it needed a radiator replacement early in its life. The E39 I test drove had a leaking radiator. If you search for "E39 common failures" you will see what I mean. If you check the reliability ratings at consumer reports, you will see tons and tons of black dots and the like. You can also read about common issues at MSN Autos.

I don't deny your findings. It's just that I think you're the exception. You got lucky.

The $11,000 is the money he'll lose by going from a base TL or a Type S TL.

How much did you pay for your Type S anyway? I'm curious.

Why not? We're people here. We're not computers. We're good people helping each other out. He solicited our opinion so we're giving them.

Don't know where you are getting the 11k figure. I paid 24,900 for a Type S with 13k miles on it. By that argument I can find an 07 base with 13k miles on it for 14 grand. Obviously I would have taken the base in that scenario. Like I have already said, the extra 3k you would spend on a used Type S is well worth it. Especially if you spread that over a low interest loan term.

Also, I don't see my family's experience with BMWs as luck. Their reputation may not be as good as honda when it comes to reliability, but Honda isn't perfect either. And I would take BMW service any day over Acura.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
I could have considered a BMW when my Lexus was totalled. But, especially with newer models, BMW nickle and dimes you on luxury options. Historically BMW's reliability is not good, I don't care how many stepfather's brother's cousins have owned them and had no serious issues at all. They are statistically in the vast minority.

http://money.cnn.com/popups/2006/aut...ble/index.html

Go through the list. Acura has 3 spots in the most reliable categories, one of which was the TL. BMW has several in the least reliable categories.

Acura and Infiniti's lines right now, IMO, are two of the best bang for the buck entry level luxury cars that exist. And Honda indisputably has built and continues to build some of the most reliable cars on the market.
I agree, and I drove both BMW's and the Lexus IS350 before I bought my Type S. The base prices on the Bimmers are true base prices, they come with almost nothing. After you add up all the options, you've added $15k to the base price.

Lexus was similar, except they put things in packages with outragous prices on them. The IS350 I looked at had the xenons and navi, but the sticker on it was almost $50k. No thanks.

Size was also a factor. The IS sedans are tiny. While they are 4 doors, the backseat isn't useable unless you are 5 years old. You can forget just about any grown adult fitting back there. I am 6' tall and I had to push the drivers seat all the way back to be comfortable. The 3-Series isn't exactaly roomy either.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
I could have considered a BMW when my Lexus was totalled. But, especially with newer models, BMW nickle and dimes you on luxury options. Historically BMW's reliability is not good, I don't care how many stepfather's brother's cousins have owned them and had no serious issues at all. They are statistically in the vast minority.

http://money.cnn.com/popups/2006/aut...ble/index.html

Go through the list. Acura has 3 spots in the most reliable categories, one of which was the TL. BMW has several in the least reliable categories.

Acura and Infiniti's lines right now, IMO, are two of the best bang for the buck entry level luxury cars that exist. And Honda indisputably has built and continues to build some of the most reliable cars on the market.

I'm not going to get into a reliability argument. Especially since you probably have no idea how any of those reviewers, whether it is consumer reports or cnn, came to those conclusions. I have read all the reviews, I don't need to be told about them. But I also have my own experience. There have been more Hondas in my family than BMWs. I have owned 2. And the only major issue I can remember happened to my fathers 92 legend coupe (engine seals blew at <10k miles, replaced engine). And I think "statiscally in the vast minority" may be a little bit of an overstatement. Just a little though.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
BMW's

The 11k figure is from the OP.

I've only researched the 5 and 7 series BMW's because those were the ones I was considering. The E39's common problems are here.

http://www.windigoauto.com/E39CommonProblems.html

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~kowached/fest-welcome.htm

Some E38 problems.

http://www.e38.org/koalamotorsport/v8shortblock.htm

http://www.windigoauto.com/E38CommonProblems.html

And I read somewhere that the E65 transmissions go out at around 100k miles.

Consumer reports is pretty spot on.

Toyota is #1 in reliability AFAIC.

Originally Posted by Johnny_b
Don't know where you are getting the 11k figure.

Also, I don't see my family's experience with BMWs as luck. Their reputation may not be as good as honda when it comes to reliability, but Honda isn't perfect either. And I would take BMW service any day over Acura.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:23 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just purchased a Navi 04 TL and Except for the Dual-Exhaust I love the look!
Old 06-09-2009, 10:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I like how Acura includes nearly everything as standard equipment with only a few options.

My friend got nearly $15,000 in options on his IS350.

What I noticed is they only offer packages. These packages contain only one of the popular options like HIDs and a lot of stuff most people wouldn't opt for. Then to get say the navi, you have to get a different package that includes a bunch of stuff you don't want.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:53 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the end of the day its about what you like. You really do not regret going after what you like; in this case Type-S. What you regret is acquiring what you like like and then realizing it was passing (temporary want not permanent want). Do your research!!
Old 06-09-2009, 11:57 PM
Racer

The 11k figure is from the OP.

I've only researched the 5 and 7 series BMW's because those were the ones I was considering. The E39's common problems are here.

http://www.windigoauto.com/E39CommonProblems.html

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~kowached/fest-welcome.htm

Some E38 problems.

http://www.e38.org/koalamotorsport/v8shortblock.htm

http://www.windigoauto.com/E38CommonProblems.html

And I read somewhere that the E65 transmissions go out at around 100k miles.

Consumer reports is pretty spot on.

Toyota is #1 in reliability AFAIC.

"You read somewhere". Like I said, I'm not going to argue about the reliability of BMWs. I'll trust my first hand experience before those noname sites. No mattter. My father owned a '02 540 (E39) and it was gorgeous. I'll leave it at that.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:35 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
I don't know why this thread is still here. If he's going to spend $14,000 to upgrade to a Type-S that is not worth it. Now if it was a few grand, than that is reasonable. Anyways, keep the base for the hopeful turbo charger!!
Old 06-10-2009, 03:12 AM
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
why are you driving an Acura?

I read "somewhere" and I saw it happen. There was this guy selling his 2003 745i on Autotrader for like $15k and he said it just had a new transmission installed. When I contacted him about it, he didn't reply and then removed the part about the transmission being replaced from the ad. I thought that was very fishy so I just let that car go.

When the E65/E66 was introduced, it was really buggy. Drove the owners insane. All it takes is a search to read about that.

You may call those sites "no name," but if everyone is saying the same thing, there is a reason for it.

I don't doubt that your father's BMW is gorgeous. How many miles are on it? Has the cooling system ever been repaired? The LCD display on the dash will have to be replaced eventually. Oil leaks will develop. All the typical failures are inevitable. It's just a matter of time.

I went onto the BMW roadfly forums and asked for their advice. They recommended that I get a past issue of Bimmer magazine that had a special market update of the E39's. I got it. That is not a "no name" and it was full of the common failures and then some.

My "first hand experience" is with my father's E34 with the leaking radiator and messed up power windows. The LCD on the computer failed as well. The transmission died at like 50k miles.

I'll see how my grandma's E39 530i holds up.

I must add that this 3rd gear issue with the TL upsets me. Makes me wonder if I should have gotten this instead.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...id=565984&ct=u

But I'll just try the GM stuff and hopefully my buyer's remorse syndrome will go away.

"You read somewhere". Like I said, I'm not going to argue about the reliability of BMWs. I'll trust my first hand experience before those noname sites. No mattter. My father owned a '02 540 (E39) and it was gorgeous. I'll leave it at that.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Racer

I read "somewhere" and I saw it happen. There was this guy selling his 2003 745i on Autotrader for like $15k and he said it just had a new transmission installed. When I contacted him about it, he didn't reply and then removed the part about the transmission being replaced from the ad. I thought that was very fishy so I just let that car go.

When the E65/E66 was introduced, it was really buggy. Drove the owners insane. All it takes is a search to read about that.

You may call those sites "no name," but if everyone is saying the same thing, there is a reason for it.

I don't doubt that your father's BMW is gorgeous. How many miles are on it? Has the cooling system ever been repaired? The LCD display on the dash will have to be replaced eventually. Oil leaks will develop. All the typical failures are inevitable. It's just a matter of time.

I went onto the BMW roadfly forums and asked for their advice. They recommended that I get a past issue of Bimmer magazine that had a special market update of the E39's. I got it. That is not a "no name" and it was full of the common failures and then some.

My "first hand experience" is with my father's E34 with the leaking radiator and messed up power windows. The LCD on the computer failed as well. The transmission died at like 50k miles.

I'll see how my grandma's E39 530i holds up.

I must add that this 3rd gear issue with the TL upsets me. Makes me wonder if I should have gotten this instead.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...id=565984&ct=u

But I'll just try the GM stuff and hopefully my buyer's remorse syndrome will go away.

That lcd thing does suck. I've seen it happen. You would think they would fix that. But I guess the driving experience outweighs the somewhat lack of reliability for me. Expecially given BMW stellar service. The Type S is an awesome drive and a way better bang for the buck though.

To answer your question I bought an acura because there isn't a practical BMW out there that was in my price range. My ideal car is a 335xi coupe, but it is too much money. Originally my father was a Honda guy, he had an 88 and 92 legend coupe, I loved the 92 legend. I have been waiting ever since I was a kid for Acura to make a car like the old legends, and the TL is and awesome car. Not quite the same when it comes to style, but the performance is there.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Just go to the Ferrari dealer ship and trade it in for a brand new Ferrari, IMO that’s what I would do
Old 06-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by bukjoe15
Just go to the Ferrari dealer ship and trade it in for a brand new Ferrari, IMO that’s what I would do
Ferrari sucks, get a bugatti.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:12 PM
some like it stock

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you aren't building your own car you don't deserve to drive.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:01 AM
Traveling the country

I would only get a Type-S if I got a manual. Like posted if you could swing the 335 I would get it over the Type-S.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,962 Likes on 14,481 Posts
Type S is nice...very nice. Has a few things I wouldn't mind having but don't need to have. Plus, in my old age...I've noticed the amount of time I'm redlining and hauling ass is dwindling in comparison to just laying back and relaxing when I drive and for that...I definitely don't need a type s. I'm thinking that eventually I'll get a second car like an s2000 just to play in and the TL will be my mature car.

Just food for thought,
Old 06-11-2009, 08:06 PM
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Ferrari sucks, get a bugatti.
just grab both of them
Old 06-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BradE
I agree, and I drove both BMW's and the Lexus IS350 before I bought my Type S. The base prices on the Bimmers are true base prices, they come with almost nothing. After you add up all the options, you've added $15k to the base price.
That's actually a plus for BMW in many people's view, because it allows someone buying a BMW to customize his purchase to a greater degree than we could with our Acuras.

With a TL your only options were:
navi or no navi
manual or auto
and from 2007 on, Type S

Compare this to all the different combinations of a 3 series you can get.

The TL has too much useless things that I hate, like the automatic climate control and the memory seats, but Acura didn't give me the option to leave them out.

I personally would love a base model 335. It's still a luxury car, ie xenons, leather, etc.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:52 PM
some like it stock

Originally Posted by Babnik
I personally would love a base model 335. It's still a luxury car, ie xenons, leather, etc.
you misspelled leatherette. whatever that is. real leather is $1450. did you want metallic paint? that's $550. HD radio? (i got that on a chevy HHR rental...) $350. heated front seats (so annoying in the winter) - $500. navigation is $2100, although they really should pay you that for having to learn the iDrive thing. anti-theft alarm (for a $40,000 vehicle, glad that's an option you can not buy) is $400.

oh and it's $5,000 for nice rims. if you want auto-dimming mirrors and lumbar support, that's only available on the "premium" package which is $2650 i think.

climate control is standard by the way. i think GM still makes cars without it, and kia probably... you should try them.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Happy Holidays!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
I'm sure it has been mentioned a few times already when comparing the TL to the TL-S...

It's better to have things that you don't need than to need things that you don't have.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Babnik
That's actually a plus for BMW in many people's view, because it allows someone buying a BMW to customize his purchase to a greater degree than we could with our Acuras.

With a TL your only options were:
navi or no navi
manual or auto
and from 2007 on, Type S

Compare this to all the different combinations of a 3 series you can get.

The TL has too much useless things that I hate, like the automatic climate control and the memory seats, but Acura didn't give me the option to leave them out.

What is the world coming to...
Old 06-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jack the ex-cynic
you misspelled leatherette. whatever that is. real leather is $1450. did you want metallic paint? that's $550. HD radio? (i got that on a chevy HHR rental...) $350. heated front seats (so annoying in the winter) - $500. navigation is $2100, although they really should pay you that for having to learn the iDrive thing. anti-theft alarm (for a $40,000 vehicle, glad that's an option you can not buy) is $400.

oh and it's $5,000 for nice rims. if you want auto-dimming mirrors and lumbar support, that's only available on the "premium" package which is $2650 i think.

climate control is standard by the way. i think GM still makes cars without it, and kia probably... you should try them.
The premium package includes leather, which is a 1200 dollar option. Leather can be added as a stand alone. The auto dimming rearview is standard, power folding and auto dimming side mirrors are included in the premium package. As well as homelink and bmw roadside assistance. All of these items are useless, escept leather. Which is why leaving the premium package out is the best option. The cold weather package is also a trap, since heated seats are the only desirable option in that group. The only package that is def worth getting is the sport package, since it adds an oil cooler and sport 18 inch wheels on the xi, along with the sport suspension.

As for the rims, any OEM will charge you an arm and a leg for rims. There are plenty of reps out there, such as CSL reps that are good quality and a close match to OEM.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:39 AM
Racer

Also, if you think idrive is difficult to navigate, then you read too much car and driver. It doesn't even require reading the manual. At least to a competent mind.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:59 PM
07 TL-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know I'm late on this. I had base 06 TL for 7months. upgraded to 07 type-s and would not go back. i think i i was like -4~5k or so after trading.
i did get a lot of comments on my nbp 06 TL tho because it had nice black chrome wheels that came with it.

Just do what makes you happy.